ElSuave

Disciples of the Void - New Clan Pack

13 minutes ago, franzvong said:

Nah, I think there will be a similar role in all the other Clan Packs.

The question is how to use it: is it an additional role that adds to the official one (I doubt it), or it's a free-to-use role that cannot be selected at Worlds, but it's valid for tournaments?

It would be cool if the other side had something that was for Phoenix players.  I hope it does, but I think you are correct.

25 minutes ago, Khudzlin said:

I don't think so. I can't read the card number (if anyone can, I'd like to know), but it's only a single character. If there was another side to this role, it would have an A or B at the end.

edit: sorry, miss reading

Edited by Arcendo A
mistake

The role wouldn’t make sense if it was in addition to your seeker/keeper role, so I think this one is used instead of them. The question is how does the tournament legality works in that case.

Also, if all clans get an equal role (as I suppose they will), then it will be interesting to run Levy and Watch Commander in a Phoenix dishonor deck.

7 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Augment.  So the Role is in addition to the clan chosen Role card?  Otherwise this card makes zero sense to me.

It is "increase". The card is worded in spanish exactly as the keeper roles.

As has already been said, in casual play you can choose whatever role you want. Maybe this card is trying to promote that. Also, I think in next Worlds, the Top Clan player could choose this role amongst the ones we already know.

New stronghold seems very good, but I don't know if it competes with Isawa Mori Seido in the water-shugenja build. The best thing about Prodigy of the Waves is using its 4-glory bonus twice (or more). I do like double-supernatural-storm for aggressive decks though, so I'm really torn with which one to go with. I suppose Isawa Mori Seido is worse in the Scorpion matchup, though, and that's probably what it will come down to.

And yeah, I'm pretty disappointed with the Phoenix role, thought it would have done something more interesting than 'splash 3-6 more cards.' I imagine it helps the envy of players who see all the new phoenix tricks and want to play them, but losing access to Keeper or Seeker cards hurts a lot. Wish it were two-sided, with Keeper on one and Seeker on the other.

20 minutes ago, Asako Hohe said:

The role wouldn’t make sense if it was in addition to your seeker/keeper role, so I think this one is used instead of them. The question is how does the tournament legality works in that case.

Also, if all clans get an equal role (as I suppose they will), then it will be interesting to run Levy and Watch Commander in a Phoenix dishonor deck.

Problem is as worded it almost replaces the need for the Keeper role.  Yes you won't get Initiates and the role cards but the only other advantage is the +3 Influence and the +1 fate on defense (which lets be honest doesn't happen that often outside of Crab) and with the improved character pool Initiates aren't necessarily an auto include any more. 

33 minutes ago, AradonTemplar said:

New stronghold seems very good, but I don't know if it competes with Isawa Mori Seido in the water-shugenja build. The best thing about Prodigy of the Waves is using its 4-glory bonus twice (or more). I do like double-supernatural-storm for aggressive decks though, so I'm really torn with which one to go with. I suppose Isawa Mori Seido is worse in the Scorpion matchup, though, and that's probably what it will come down to.

That is an excellent testimony for the new stronghold.  Here's hoping that Dragon makes me just as torn.

My bet is that this role can be picked instead of the official one at any time. My wish is that they remove the keeper/seeker restriction for good.

Anyway, why does the province have the "unique" symbol? Aren't provinces supposed to be unique by default?

l5c08_anc_card-fan_ES.png

Posting this here because FFG Spain has an habit of separate the cards, unlike FFG USA.

Just a thing, Tadaka SPOILER ALERT has the Elemental Master trait, and of course the Earth trait. So I guess he won the duel against his master that was mentioned in the last fiction. His ability is not clear, but it seems he can "play copies" from "discard pile" "unless ring" something something "reclaimed rings". So let's speculate:

Tadaka can play copies of (earth?) spells from the discard pile, unless the (Earth?) Ring is among the reclaimed rings.

The Earth part is my guess, because playing any spell would be OP, and there's not enough space to add "the ring that matches the spell element".

Edit: the word is "Puede" which is third person. If it were refered to you (as a player) it will be "puedes". So it can't be "tú puedes jugar copias" (you can play copies). Or it is a translating error (there's one in that new province)

So it could be an ability that affects your opponent. "Tu oponente no puede jugar copias" (your opponent can't play copies), and then it would be:

Your opponent can't play copies of spells that are in the discard pile unless the (something) ring is in (his? yours? both?) reclaimed ring pool.

The Tensai Initate does not have an ability. It's all flavor text. (What the Jigoku??!!).. unless her ability is two, three words long. It can`'t be something like covert or sincerity, because that normally goes with reminder text. So my guess is that she is a high glory character and must be Honored to be worthy. Maybe a conflict character? Traits: Shugenja. Fire. Scholar.

Edited by Tabris2k

2 minutes ago, Barbacuo said:

My bet is that this role can be picked instead of the official one at any time. My wish is that they remove the keeper/seeker restriction for good.

Anyway, why does the province have the "unique" symbol? Aren't provinces supposed to be unique by default?

Yes and no. Technically, the rules say "No more than 1 copy of each province, by title, may be included in a player’s set of provinces." That is practically the same thing as being unique, but technically not the same thing as having the Unique symbol next to the province name. Theoretically, a card could be printed that says, "You may include two copies of the same non-unique province", which would make the distinction matter. It's a form of future-proofing.

2 hours ago, Duciris said:

Augment.  So the Role is in addition to the clan chosen Role card?  Otherwise this card makes zero sense to me.

Will this allow us to rewrite the rule of being limited to 1 splash faction?

Very interesting, regardless.

I'm not sure where you are reading "augment".  Aumenta translates more accurately to increase in this context.  So the card basically says this:
Phoenix Support
Phoenix 
Increase your deckbuilding influence by 8.
You may only spend influence on Phoenix clan cards.

On 12/16/2017 at 2:13 PM, KuniMasori said:

I understand that playing the Interrupt on Yogo Kiyuko is free as it has been said in this topic and in the news post. However, I don't understand why. Can anybody point me to the rule/explain to my why? I guess it is because by rule only events have a cost when played from out of hand?

https://fiveringsdb.com/rules/reference#play-and-put-into-play

"When a card is put into play, its fate cost is ignored."

6 minutes ago, HirumaShigure said:

I think it would be interesting if the other side of the Phoenix role card rewarded you for NOT splashing other clans in your deck. 

Ooh, yes. "Purity of the Phoenix. - Phoenix Clan Only - Your influence is set to 0 and cannot be changed.  - <some crazy good/fun benefit>"

I'm hoping that where this goes with role cards is that every clan will have a primary keeper/seeker role, then a secondary keeper/seeker role that can be used for any tourney, and then also have a multitude of extra roles that can be used. If the game gets to the point where every clan has both a keeper and seeker option along with 6 additional roles from other clans, the game is just a lot better.

1 hour ago, baconspoon said:

I'm not sure where you are reading "augment".  Aumenta translates more accurately to increase in this context.  So the card basically says this:
Phoenix Support
Phoenix 
Increase your deckbuilding influence by 8.
You may only spend influence on Phoenix clan cards.

Apparently I can't even read English.  I was taking it as augment your influence by +8 (i.e. 10+8=18).

3 hours ago, Asako Hohe said:

I think it has to be in addition.  Taken by itself, it's objectively worse than either the Seeker or Keeper roles.  Keeper is 13 influence in any 1 faction, with a reaction when you win defending on a challenge of your element.  Seeker is 10 influence, and a better province pool, plus a reaction pertaining to the reveal of your element's provinces.  This is 8 influence and you are limited to Phoenix.

Furthermore, players are already complaining that they cannot play both Seeker- and Keeper-only cards in the same deck.  This wouldn't allow a player to field either.

Unless I'm missing more on this card by not speaking a useful second language.

2 hours ago, Tabris2k said:

The Tensai Initate does not have an ability. It's all flavor text. (What the Jigoku??!!).. unless her ability is two, three words long. It can`'t be something like covert or sincerity, because that normally goes with reminder text. So my guess is that she is a high glory character and must be Honored to be worthy. Maybe a conflict character? Traits: Shugenja. Fire. Scholar.

She's a nonunique one-cost shugenja with an elemental keyword that synchronizes with some of the Fire love in this pack- Phoenix players have been crying out for more cheap shugenja, so...

32 minutes ago, Duciris said:

Apparently I can't even read English.  I was taking it as augment your influence by +8 (i.e. 10+8=18).

Yes, exactly this.

EDIT: Nvm, Tabris already posted this response...

Edited by baconspoon