ElSuave

Disciples of the Void - New Clan Pack

2 hours ago, Hellvlad said:

So basically,  we can safely assume now that each clan will have their own pack, which means that the deluxe expansions will most certainly be new factions.

Not likely. So far deluxes has not introduced new factions... And most likely not in here neither.

In terms of giving one faction a massive power boost by releasing more cards - when done right, this shouldn't happen. More cards does not automatically mean more power, as long as they don't double down on the things that already make a good faction good. E.g. if we got a Lion pack that gave them more ways to abuse free characters, easily smash provinces and counter all their weaknesses, then yeah...that would be bad. If we got stuff that focused more on other themes, it would create different decks, but wouldn't necessarily create more powerful ones. The optimal goal would be to have each faction have multiple viable themes.

Having said that....I don't think Phoenix is really the faction that needed the first pack, and I play Phoenix. I think the Shugenja/Spell theme was already pretty solid or very close, so I do think this could certainly put them on another level compared to some of the weaker clans.

5 minutes ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

Not likely. So far deluxes has not introduced new factions... And most likely not in here neither.

That's false, FFG used deluxe for new factions in Warhammer Conquest, in the first Cthulhu, in the first edition of GoT, etc... So, nothing prevent them to do it with L5R.

6 minutes ago, KerenRhys said:

That's false, FFG used deluxe for new factions in Warhammer Conquest, in the first Cthulhu, in the first edition of GoT, etc... So, nothing prevent them to do it with L5R.

And I still think it's coming.  One clan pack is roughly 19 new 3-of cards, plus 13 to 14 in Imperial Cycle, plus 23 to 24 from core is about 56 cards per faction, not counting strongholds and such.  Deluxe is roughly 160 cards, so 51 or 52 3 ofs.  It's still possible for a new faction to catch up in a single deluxe even with the Clan Packs.

1 hour ago, Tabris2k said:

No, you can’t because it’s a unique. So you can’t  put one in to play because there’s already one there. Would be different if it were a reaction 

If it was a reaction, you couldn't trigger it at all, since you can only trigger abilities on cards in play (except events and roles).

4 hours ago, squirrelfox said:

This is more profitable though.

Mostly, that's what I meant.

4 hours ago, squirrelfox said:

No, releasing a deluxe pack for each clan at the same time that had only that faction's cards would have been much, much better.

That sounds like the worst idea ever.

• ◊  Card abilities only interact with, and can only target, cards that are in play, unless the ability specifically refers to an out-of-play area or element. Card abilities on characters, attachments, holdings, strongholds, and provinces can only be initiated or affect the game while they are in play unless the ability specifically refers to being used from an out-of-play area, or require that the card be out of play for the ability to resolve. Event cards and role cards implicitly interact with the game from an out-of-play area, 

Here's the actual rule.^

2 minutes ago, HamHamJ2 said:

So wait, none of that implies that her ability can only be used from hand and not like your discard? 

From what I've seen anything that can be played from discard specifically mentions it.

5 hours ago, Klawtu said:

You do realize that they're probably talking about the stronghold, role card, and another one of card right?

Was thinking the same thing. Actualy, my tough process went like this:" One of each? One of raaaaaaage- oh wait, deep breaths! Deep breaths! They mean the stronghold, you don't need 3 strongholds. Deep breaths."

Just imagine if it turns out the 3d on off card is Fushicho. :D The rage that would unleash.

Just now, Robin Graves said:

Was thinking the same thing. Actualy, my tough process went like this:" One of each? One of raaaaaaage- oh wait, deep breaths! Deep breaths! They mean the stronghold, you don't need 3 strongholds. Deep breaths."

Just imagine if it turns out the 3d on off card is Fushicho. :D The rage that would unleash.

Yeah if that happens I'll grab the torches and pitchforks myself.

The question is how fast will these packs be coming out.  If it's once a month or better that would be good considering how long we had to wait for the equivalent in Netrunner.  Yeah these things shouldn't add imbalance to the game, but it does kinda suck having a subset of the clans with a noticeably smaller card pool (and therefore less deck building options).  Big news to me is that this pack has Isawa Tadaka in it.  I was wondering when he was gonna show up.  Also I don't recall the Kaito family before.  I think that's new.

Edited by phillos

3 minutes ago, phillos said:

The question is how fast will these packs be coming out.  If it's once a month or better that would be good considering how long we hate to wait for the equivalent in Netrunner.  Yeah these things shouldn't add imbalance to the game, but it does kinda suck having a subset of the clans with a noticeably smaller card pool (and therefore less deck building options).  Big news to me is that this pack has Isawa Tadaka in it.  I was wondering when he was gonna show up.  Also I don't recall the Kaito family before.  I think that's new.

Yeah I hope so to.  Release of one per month or quicker.

Ignore that screaming sound. That's just my wallet complaining.

I remember what FFG did with the Call of Cthulhu LCG: towards the last they only did One -faction- deluxe-expansions for each faction. And they were released months apart. I think I waited abot a year before the Hastur expansion came out.

wheee!!! A YOGO in every clan? Ah to have to betray those we love... ;)

Anyway hopefully its actually a clan pack in say every 2-3 weeks. A month seems too long.

Edited by Yogo Rye X
EDIT: Crap it was a scorpion.

If that Yogo is the only Scorpion card in this pack I might pass on it completely...  The card is extremely situational and restrictive.  If you DON'T use it as a cancel its 3 cost for a 2/2 with no bonus, and no useful traits.  The only time you can use it for its cancel is a spell + event + during conflict...  That's very restricted.  While blocking a spell could be nice this is basically only good against Phoenix, against every other match up its just a 3 cost for 2/2...  horrible.  Even against Phoenix it might not help as there are spell attachments that it can't block, as well as many non-spell events that can win combats.

The worst is that its ANOTHER conflict character... and we can only have 10 in the deck...  There is no way in I would drop a conflict character for this...

Edited by shosuko

24 minutes ago, shosuko said:

If that Yogo is the only Scorpion card in this pack I might pass on it completely...  The card is extremely situational and restrictive.  If you DON'T use it as a cancel its 3 cost for a 2/2 with no bonus, and no useful traits.  The only time you can use it for its cancel is a spell + event + during conflict...  That's very restricted.  While blocking a spell could be nice this is basically only good against Phoenix, against every other match up its just a 3 cost for 2/2...  horrible.  Even against Phoenix it might not help as there are spell attachments that it can't block, as well as many non-spell events that can win combats.

The worst is that its ANOTHER conflict character... and we can only have 10 in the deck...  There is no way in I would drop a conflict character for this...

She's clearly meant as Scorpion meta for the new spell-happy toys the Phoenix will be getting... I suspect everybody will get something to let them stand off the fire chicken's expanded toolbox.

13 minutes ago, Shiba Gunichi said:

She's clearly meant as Scorpion meta for the new spell-happy toys the Phoenix will be getting... I suspect everybody will get something to let them stand off the fire chicken's expanded toolbox.

Obviously she is meant as a counter to the Phoenix, but does that mean she has to be completely worthless in any other situation?