ElSuave

Disciples of the Void - New Clan Pack

My question is, won't this alter the balance of the Clans in the tournament scene?

I mean, if the Phoenix pack gets released in a couple of months, they will be having access to a lot more cards than, lets say, Unicorn.

In that case we might get to see a lot of Phoenix Clan players at recent Koteis :)

1 minute ago, Theoloc said:

My question is, won't this alter the balance of the Clans in the tournament scene?

I mean, if the Phoenix pack gets released in a couple of months, they will be having access to a lot more cards than, lets say, Unicorn.

In that case we might get to see a lot of Phoenix Clan players at recent Koteis :)

Of course, the Phoenix aren’t the only Great Clan who field Shugenja. Disciples of the Void features characters for the six other clans, many of which directly counter the powerful Phoenix strategies found in the Clan Pack.

I think they thought of that already. :D

A faction pack for my second- or third-favorite clan? Sign me up!

Honestly, I like this idea much more than the Dynasty packs. I still have few enough cards that I can only really use two or three decks, so I wasn't very eager to buy most of the packs since the majority of the cards I wouldn't have used. This Phoenix pack will make my Phoenix deck much better, and even the packs for the clans I don't play yet will be tempting since they'll give me options that will help offset the hurt those clans are having from the good Core Set neutrals all being unavailable.

As a Dragon, I really want my main clan to get one of these next, but if I'm honest the Ponies need it alot more than we do. So Ponies, then Dragon? Please FFG???

Edited by Mandalore525

Just now, twinstarbmc said:

I've read that, but as I figure it might be just 1 triplet of a shugenja character...
I may be wrong in my assumption though.

1 minute ago, twinstarbmc said:

I'm not sure a meta that is Phoenix and then everyone else splashing Phoenix hate is really healthy? Like, that Scorpion card is super specific. It wrecks against Phoenix, is kinda useful against decks that run Cloud the Mind, and is a dead card against everyone else. You basically only play it if Phoenix is would otherwise have like a 90% win rate against you.

3 minutes ago, Theoloc said:

It won't be a ton more cards...at most Phoenix will have 18 more cards available for their decks (maybe less if they give other great clans more than one character each in the pack).  Alternatively, you might also see more folks splashing new Phoenix cards into their other clans decks (I'd strongly consider it, especially with the new spells).

6 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

*blink blink* 

pardon my derp

Don’t worry, I just noticed he’s 2 cost. So yeah, buffed 8/7 Shiba Tetsu... say hello to Assassination. Not so good as I thought. We all have derps.

Although baiting an Assassination is always good for dishonor Phoenix...

(I assumed 2 Shugenjas for those stats)

Edited by Tabris2k

1 minute ago, HamHamJ2 said:

I'm not sure a meta that is Phoenix and then everyone else splashing Phoenix hate is really healthy? Like, that Scorpion card is super specific. It wrecks against Phoenix, is kinda useful against decks that run Cloud the Mind, and is a dead card against everyone else. You basically only play it if Phoenix is would otherwise have like a 90% win rate against you.

No dropbear is a dead card in a Scorpion deck. Besides, Scorp have a few shugenja of their own, and I know a couple that LOVE running Clouds.

16 minutes ago, HamHamJ2 said:

Cloud the Mind is not an event.  The Scorpion won't stop the most common spell.

Edited by Laurence J Sinclair

3 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

IF you've already got one in the discard pile? Sure can.

No, you can’t because it’s a unique. So you can’t  put one in to play because there’s already one there. Would be different if it were a reaction 

Edited by Tabris2k

15 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

No dropbear is a dead card in a Scorpion deck. Besides, Scorp have a few shugenja of their own, and I know a couple that LOVE running Clouds.

If you don't use it's ability, it has substandard stats for it's cost. You can only have 10 drop bears and cutting some of them for this one is not trivial. 

Edit: And as pointed out above, it can't counter Cloud. So it is literally only good against Phoenix.

Edited by HamHamJ2

Phoenix "only" get 18 more cards than the other clans, or so, but that's almost an entire cycle's worth of cards.  In a game build so heavily around the competition between the different clans, releasing something that tips the scales in favor of one seems bad...

4 minutes ago, HamHamJ2 said:

Edit: And as pointed out above, it can't counter Cloud. So it is literally only good against Phoenix.

... and anyone splashing Phoenix spells when the pack comes out, because the pack came out and it's full of new Phoenix spells. Know anyone splashing Display of Power, Know the World, or Against the Waves?

2 minutes ago, twinstarbmc said:

... and anyone splashing Phoenix spells when the pack comes out, because the pack came out and it's full of new Phoenix spells. Know anyone splashing Display of Power, Know the World, or Against the Waves?

Not in any of the Kotei lists I've seen.

Love this and the Scorpion character is savagely good in a world where lots of people splash Phoenix specifically for Display of Power and Cloud The Mind is considered a staple...

But crickey are those Scorpion conflict character picks gonna be heavily contested...

4 minutes ago, Daigotsu Steve said:

Love this and the Scorpion character is savagely good in a world where lots of people splash Phoenix specifically for Display of Power and Cloud The Mind is considered a staple...

But crickey are those Scorpion conflict character picks gonna be heavily contested...

As mentioned above, the Scorpion does not stop Cloud the Mind since it is an attachment.  Definitely works on Display of Power though.

So based on numbering doesn't look like a lot of Neutrals in there. Based on 3 unique and 25 triplicates we should have 28 total cards. 

Card number 1 is the Stronghold 25 is the Scorpion Conflict character. 

We know they mentioned there will be role card so assuming normalish distribution by Clan Dynasty than Conflict with roles at the end as the last card in the set (not necessarily numbered) that only leaves 1 or 2 neutral conflict cards after the scorpion (depending on whether Unicorn is conflict or not). 

There is also a 7 card cap between the Firebird and the new conflict maiden. So again assuming they follow the same numbering system as in the core set we would see a Clan specific Holding (if included) and the possibility of and the other 4 to 5 remaining clan characters (again assuming there are no additional conflict characters) That would indicate at best only 1 or 2 Neutral characters to slot in for Dynasty and the same for Conflict side.