Hepitude

Legion Envy

Now, don't let my post title mislead you. I'm sick of starwars, boycotting The Last Jedi and think Runewars Miniatures is a superior gaming system in every way when compared to Legion.

HOWEVER... I am jealous that they get eight model poses compared to our four. I know, I know, it's expensive to make extra molds and most people wouldn't care enough to purchase different figures, I just think FFG is playing favorites.

(As an aside, TLJ boycott happened as soon as I saw ATATs in the trailer. Fool me once, etc.)

I have to say, I was on a real Star Wars kick as soon as the new X-wing wave dropped. Probably had to do with the fact that it was the first time I went to X-wing night in 4 months. I didn't buy anything, but it got me super hyped for the movie. And now that I've seen the movie, I can go back to spending my free time/energy on Runewars.

Ah, I love Runewars.

It's probably a combination of licensing requirements and FFG feeling like a bigger investment in Star Wars IP is a safe bet... and it seems to be.

But Legion is going to run up against other constraints that are going to hinder it:

• A lack of units available from the original property
  • A lack of factions
  • Long development time as expansions have to go through the licensing approval process
  • Stiff competition from 40k and X-Wing

Do I think that's enough to sink it? No way. I expect this game to be pretty widespread and profitable for FFG. But I do think it will run up against limitations sooner than Runewars will. That also doesn't keep me from worrying about what the real market for Runewars is though and FFG's commitment to it.

1 hour ago, Elliphino said:

It's probably a combination of licensing requirements and FFG feeling like a bigger investment in Star Wars IP is a safe bet... and it seems to be.

But Legion is going to run up against other constraints that are going to hinder it:

• A lack of units available from the original property
  • A lack of factions
  • Long development time as expansions have to go through the licensing approval process
  • Stiff competition from 40k and X-Wing

Do I think that's enough to sink it? No way. I expect this game to be pretty widespread and profitable for FFG. But I do think it will run up against limitations sooner than Runewars will. That also doesn't keep me from worrying about what the real market for Runewars is though and FFG's commitment to it.

AND that it looks so darn boring to paint!

The most exciting part about Legion from the GenCon demos was seeing the awesome tables and terrain. Since you don't get an Endor bunker play area in the box, I think it's going to be a little less exciting than people are hoping. The trays and large formations in Runewars make it look interesting even with 2D terrain.

On 12/16/2017 at 7:38 AM, Budgernaut said:

The most exciting part about Legion from the GenCon demos was seeing the awesome tables and terrain. 

Yes! Thinking of how the tables/terrain for Runewars related to the final product, I'd be really interested to see how it plays out for Legion.

Given that Legion doesn't ship with cardboard terrain, the terrain system is probably a lot looser than Runewars... closer to 40k, but still...

Legion looks solid. If they really wanted to, they could get to 6 factions fairly easily. The card game Destiny already draws heavily from every trilogy era. Though admittedly Resistance and First Order would be awfully similar to Rebels and Empire. But then again, how many factions of Space Marines are there?

There could be only one faction of Space Marines and 40k would still have tons of diversity, so pointing to there being many SM factions doesn't detract from the diversity of that game and the lack of it in Star Wars.

Old Republic, Empire, and First Order would just about all be the same thing. Rebellion and Resistance, same thing. That takes your 6 factions down to 3. 

14 hours ago, rowdyoctopus said:

Legion looks solid. If they really wanted to, they could get to 6 factions fairly easily. The card game Destiny already draws heavily from every trilogy era. Though admittedly Resistance and First Order would be awfully similar to Rebels and Empire. But then again, how many factions of Space Marines are there?

Technically, there's nearly 1000 Chapters of Space Marines. And there's 9-10 different 'First Founding' Chapters/Legions you can choose from with their codified paint scheme or a subsequent Founding/DIY Chapter.

On 12/17/2017 at 6:36 PM, coldsteel said:

Technically, there's nearly 1000 Chapters of Space Marines. And there's 9-10 different 'First Founding' Chapters/Legions you can choose from with their codified paint scheme or a subsequent Founding/DIY Chapter.

In all fairness, every space marine chapter is just  colour + trait. So you've got dark green + emo, bluegrey + wolves, red + angsty, blue + Mary sue, green + fire, black + zealous etc etc. Although it's great fun to tease your marine-playing friends by pointing out that their favourite chapter is just trying to be like their Spiritual Liege :P

On 12/16/2017 at 8:16 PM, Hepitude said:

Has anyone tried warhammer style terrain for runewars? 

Yep, we play with a variety of GW and other terrain/buildings and they work great. We created some custom rules on the number of units for each and which block LOS, give extra defense to occupiers, etc.  Not tournament legal by any means but lots of fun.