RufusDaMan

All new dials. How would you go on about it?

On 12/14/2017 at 0:06 AM, Kieransi said:

I'd swap most K-turns for Tallon Rolls. Tallon rolls are like a really long turn and spin out into a donut (not that hard to do), but K-turns are a total ace move. Only the most elite should be able to do a K-turn.

K turns are basically just one half of an "Immelman". I'm pretty sure that's a standard maneuver taught to pilots.

1 minute ago, Stoneface said:

K turns are basically just one half of an "Immelman". I'm pretty sure that's a standard maneuver taught to pilots.

I have to admit, I'm not the most well-read on real-life flying stuff, but speaking from Star Wars lore, I remember both Aftermath and some source in the old-canon (forget which that was off the top of my head) describing the K-Turn and talking about how difficult it was to do. For whatever reason, I really think K-Turns are easier to do in the real world than in Star Wars space fighting. 

No offense, and sorry for of topic, but I think it is funny when I read about seeking the realism of space fighting with X-Wing. 

The ships in this game move like airborne craft. I like it. But exploring the "space" feeling is nowhere to be seen. To be honest, also not in the movies. 

A simple example: when you don't accelerate, you will keep moving as you were (inertia). You could just rotate your craft and shoot on whatever direction you wanted, while keeping your movement direction and speed.

Back to topic: I the part of this discussion which bothers with playability. 

I would change the Jumpmaster dial, either by making it symmetric with red sloops or by keeping the symmetry and making the right Maneuvers red. 

I would support the lancer dial in the HWK. 

Apart from that, I like the diversity that the dials bring. Haven't flown everything yet though. 

I would drastically decrease the speed of large and the mobility of turret ships. 

I would also add sloops and trolls to early wave ships, where it makes sense. Trolls for interceptors, sloops for A-wings. 

Lastly, I would help out certain dials: hwks, xwings, lambdas, to make them more playable/lore accurate

I would add reds to the bad side of Jumpmaster. Like a lot. 

I'd probably somewhat unify the number of green moves per ship class. A small based ship should always have more than 4 greens in my opinion. 

Generally, I would want to get rid of K-turns, in favor of S-loops and T-rolls which I find to be tactically much more interesting. But I would want to restrict those, too, maybe not even allowing them to be chosen from dial.

That's because for X-Wing 2.0 I'd rethink how EPTs are designed and used, and make most of them into cheap one-off discardable abilities that let you pull a surprise move such as K-turning or T-rolling. I'd also give elite pilots a couple more EPT slots, so that our heroes feel like they are "full of surprises" like they say in that one movie.

K-turns in space would actually be very simple. You simply use thrusters to rotate 180 degrees and then engage the engines to slow yourself and then accelerate again. Only issue is the gforces you suffer.

A talon roll would be more difficult.

On 12/14/2017 at 1:27 AM, DagobahDave said:

First thing I'd do is add new maneuvers. Here are the ones I put together for my Crimson Skies FlightPath conversion.

new-maneuvers.jpg

Dalan Oberos: The Game.

Edited by ObiWonka

I introduce a new color move: Yellow.

Yellow moves count as white if you aren't stressed, but red if you are.

Lambda shuttle probably has some red moves eased to yellow, in like the 3-banks and either the 0-stop or hard-2.  What's a ship in the game which ought to get it's K-Turn made yellow... B-Wing?  Yeah, maybe the B-Wing gets a Yellow 2-K.  I'd also make the 2-hards on a YV-666 yellow, just so that Maneuvering Fins becomes a bit less bad.

On the flip side, several ships would have white moves made yellow.  Certainly the Jumpmaster. 1 and 2 right hards, 3 right bank, and the white S-Loop all become Yellow.  I'd probably make the 1-hards on the YT-2400 into Yellow moves.  All the 1-speed moves on the Shadowcaster/Lancer become Yellow.  Maybe the Defender 4-K also becomes Yellow.

//

On the whole, other than a few ships, I generally think the dials in this game are fine.  I wish a bunch of points costs were different, but I think the dials are mostly solid.

17 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I introduce a new color move: Yellow.

Yellow moves count as white if you aren't stressed, but red if you are.

Lambda shuttle probably has some red moves eased to yellow, in like the 3-banks and either the 0-stop or hard-2.  What's a ship in the game which ought to get it's K-Turn made yellow... B-Wing?  Yeah, maybe the B-Wing gets a Yellow 2-K.  I'd also make the 2-hards on a YV-666 yellow, just so that Maneuvering Fins becomes a bit less bad.

On the flip side, several ships would have white moves made yellow.  Certainly the Jumpmaster. 1 and 2 right hards, 3 right bank, and the white S-Loop all become Yellow.  I'd probably make the 1-hards on the YT-2400 into Yellow moves.  All the 1-speed moves on the Shadowcaster/Lancer become Yellow.  Maybe the Defender 4-K also becomes Yellow.

//

On the whole, other than a few ships, I generally think the dials in this game are fine.  I wish a bunch of points costs were different, but I think the dials are mostly solid.

This is a pretty dang cool concept. And you can have a slew of upgrades/crew members that give support when you perform a yellow move , or a condition on your opponent that where they have to treat yellow's as red's until your ship is attacked/destroyed/whatever. 

One X-Wing "fix" I'd like to see is a title or modification that allows it to use a T-70's Dial. "Engine Refit (modification 2 pts): Your T-65 X-Wing must use a T-70 X-Wing dial. Your ship gains the boost action and 1 additional modification. Pilot skills higher than "6" may equip the "Black One" title. 

On 12/15/2017 at 1:32 AM, Kieransi said:

I have to admit, I'm not the most well-read on real-life flying stuff, but speaking from Star Wars lore, I remember both Aftermath and some source in the old-canon (forget which that was off the top of my head) describing the K-Turn and talking about how difficult it was to do. For whatever reason, I really think K-Turns are easier to do in the real world than in Star Wars space fighting. 

I'm pretty sure that would have to do with gravity helping a plane turn. A ship without gravity would probably have to do some weird thruster finagling to get turned around. 

47 minutes ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

I'm pretty sure that would have to do with gravity helping a plane turn. A ship without gravity would probably have to do some weird thruster finagling to get turned around. 

All fighting in the Star Wars universe is based on atmospheric airplane combat, so there's kind of a willing suspension of disbelief there. Kind of like how no real spaceship could get away with only having rear-facing jets. 

For me a new dials with new moves would be good, but I feel X-wing lacks an obligatory movement in the end phase. 

A straight 1 or bank 1 would give a different dynamic to the game and simulate very well the notion of ships in continuous movement and would require more of the players to attack their opponents or would allow evasive maneuvers of squadrons.

And some large ships never, never would have the same speed than small ships, So other templates or downgrade the speed for large ships.