RufusDaMan

All new dials. How would you go on about it?

44 posts in this topic

You are given the task of redesigning all ship dials from wave 1. You can use any maneuvers present in the game. You can do whatever you want.

What would you do?

Give T-65s white hard 1s. 

Make 3 banks on the B-wing white.

Tie mk 2 becomes standard on all imperial tie variants. 

Tie s/f has white hard ones.

Tie advanced gets a one straight/banks.

jumpmaster has 2 red sloops. 

Ccwebb and Gibbilo like this

Add manoeuverability to X-wing, but no reposition (so like TIE interceptor ish dial, but no move actions) - Don't hate me for that

Y Wing ?more green?

TIE: Fine

TIE/ad x1: some hard green turns and a one straight.  Perhaps sloops/trolls

TIE interceptor and Awing need more Turn around manoeuvres.

MF and S1??  need new rules for large base ship movement.

Ok,, this will take ages to fully do, so here are a couple more that need changing.

YT-2400 NEEDs an asymmetrical dial, as do the other asymmetrical ships, so maybe very minor colour differences on MF, eg 2 bank right green, left white. - going up to totally missing moves on something like the puunishing one.

TIE Defenders should have green hard turns.  they can keep their  Red 1 turns, but white 2 turns and green 3turns would be a welcome and lore-wise, accurate representation of the ships capability.

Hwk should be better in general.

TIE/sf needs to be faster than a T-70 X-wing.

decimator should be rethought, dial, and everything.

B/SF-17 / Starhammer needs a WAAAAY slower dial.

Sasajak and Arma Quattro like this

2 minutes ago, Infinite_Maelstrom said:

TIE/ad x1: some hard green turns and a one straight.  Perhaps sloops/trolls

Agreed.  Certainly needs hard one turns.  Maybe green like the prototype.

TIE Advanced desperately needs a 1-hard turn (white would be fine)

Slave-1 desperately needs a 1-hard turn and a Barrel-Roll action on its bar.

TIE Fighters are fine

X-Wing: The dial isn't really that bad, actually, but I hate the fact that Z-95s have 2-bank greens and X-Wings have the 1-banks green. This makes no sense to me. Should be the other way around. X-Wings need a native re-position, like BR. They probably need a title to give them predator for free.

Y-Wing: Needs 1-bank greens

TIE Bombers: I actually love TIE Bombers and really dig the dial for them (I'm weird like that). I'd love to have white 2-turns, (might not be balanced?) but I think a 3-Talon roll for them is fair.

A-Wings: Really solid. Maybe take away their 3-K and turn it into a Sloop.

B-Wings: Oh boy, are there changes needed here! The 2-k is 'fine', but they desperately need another way to turn around. My suggestion? a 5k. Would make it way harder to arc-dodge their k-turn, and maybe give them another turn of jousting after it. Combined with FCS, and they'd be doing half-fine.

TIE Defenders: Would like to see MKII built into them, or at least a 3-bank green native to the dial.

Lamda: Desperately needs the 2-turn to be white. Otherwise, it's fine

Falcon: Probably fine. It's supposed to be a super maneuverable ship.

TIE Interceptors: Good dial. Maybe switch a K-turn out for sloops (not that they'd ever use it, but hey, maybe make it white? Soontir would still never use it)

HWK: Push every maneuver 1-outwards and you get a more fair dial. (By that I mean the 3-bank reds become 3-hard turn reds and the 3-banks become white, etc)

AwesomeJedi likes this

I like the idea of adding more possibilities to out-think your opponent during the planning stage.

I would like to add several maneuvers to each dial, while possibly adding another color type to the dials.

A potential "Yellow" maneuver might give a ship a damage and Ion token but could be performed while stressed.  For example, a Y wing and X-Wing might have a "Yellow" 5-straight, or a Bomber might have a "Yellow" 3-Talon Roll.

I would then look at adding some of the newer maneuvers such as Talons and Sloops to older ships as well as adding some of the missing maneuvers and adding at least one "turn-around maneuver to ships without one, like HWK and Lambda.  For example, ships lacking 1 turns or 1-straights would get those added as red or "yellow" maneuvers.  I would also add just a touch more green to older dials, 3-straight greens to X's and Z's, green banks to Y's for example.

Anything that would make predicting your opponent just a bit harder adds more intrigue to the game, in my opinion.

18 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

I'd be curious to see the WIN/LOSS records of those who often remark on the need to remove/nerf/change the rules/ships/etc for X-Wing.

I play imperials only, arcdodgers or heavy hitters (tie/d and s/f) and I win most of my games. 6.5/10 or more. 

I play games mostly with friends, competitive x-wing does not appeal to me as the most fun options are non viable. 

I think the game should be changed to answer the major discrepancies present. I am not salty, I am actually quite happy with what I can accomplish despite these hardships, but that does not mean I approve of it. 

Ailowynn likes this

Not dials, specifically, but I'd like to remove the rear guides from the bases.

Let the ships slip and slide a LITTLE, but still require the full template end to be in contact with the ship base at it's new position. Or maybe allow the final position to be IN the guides or touching one of the guides from the outside. (This makes the slop a little more controlled and doesn't break the system for large ships.)

23 minutes ago, RufusDaMan said:

I play imperials only, arcdodgers or heavy hitters (tie/d and s/f) and I win most of my games. 6.5/10 or more. 

I play games mostly with friends, competitive x-wing does not appeal to me as the most fun options are non viable. 

I think the game should be changed to answer the major discrepancies present. I am not salty, I am actually quite happy with what I can accomplish despite these hardships, but that does not mean I approve of it. 

I can't think of any real issues. Some ships are a bit overpowered and some are under-powered but overall I see no problem with X-Wing. Every squad seems to have weaknesses that can counter it.

I would add 4 speed banks and turns to the game.

X-wing: No dial changes, but I would add a title:

S-foils: 0 points. Dual card. T65 Xwing only.

Side one: Decrease your attack value by one and increase your agility by one. You may treat all bank maneuvers as green maneuvers. Before you reveal a maneuver dial, you may flip this card.

Side two: Before you reveal a maneuver dial, you may flip this card.

Jump master: dial becomes,

Speed 1: left bank green, straight green, right bank red.

Speed 2: Left turn white, left bank green, straight green, right bank red, right turn red. Left red Sloop.

Speed 3: Left turn white, left bank green, straight green, right bank white.

Good, but not broken left hand dial, and punishing right hand dial. Assymetrical meaning that it can't even do certain maneuvers to the right. No right sloop at all, red right banks except for speed 3, and only a right red 2 turn. No green left turns either.

Decimator: Attack value 4 because its a dedicated warship.

Lambda: Attack value 2: lowest generic drops to 15 points.

Dial becomes,

Speed 0: red stop

Speed 1: bank and straight greens

Speed 2: white turns, green bank and straight

Speed 3: red turns, white banks, green straight

Add a title,

Combat Refit: 1 point: Your upgrade bar gains 1 cannon upgrade. You gain a rear facing auxiliary firing arc. When performing cannon secondary weapon attacks, you may perform them from your auxiliary arc. You may not equip cannons costing 5 or more squad points.

TIE Interceptor: dial becomes

Speed 1: white turns, green banks, and green straight

Speed 2: green turns, banks, and straight. Red Sloops.

Speed 3: white turns, green banks, green straight. White Sloops.

Speed 4: green straight, white banks. 4 k

Speed 5: white straight. 5k

Silencer: Add white 4 speed banks and turns

Edited by BadMotivator

11 hours ago, Boba Rick said:

Start by switching the HWK and Jumpmaster dials.

Haha, yeah, my Jumpmaster fix last year was to force all Jumps to run the Lambda dial and loose their barrel-roll. In testing it worked like a charm.

I'd make all Large based ships have no 1 speed maneuvers, save the Lambda as she tight spins so elegantly when landing and taking off in the movies; she should have all 1 speed maneuvers green. Also, no K-turns, S-loops or any other shenanigans on the Large base ships with turrets. Yes, even the Falcon. But, being a Lambda lover, I'd also change her Title to basically add Engine Upgrade, remove the 'any range TLs' nonsense and add text that she can use the hard 1 when boosting...leaving the coast at 2 points as she now sits.

And for goodness stakes, in the small base ships, let's fix the HWK so she can fly as denoted in cannon. Poor little thing got the raw end of the stick on the dial and the primary. But if XWM 2.0 comes out, maybe red dice creep can be curtailed and we can bump the little guy up to 2 reds (if that can be the benchmark) even tough she's always sporting a Cannon Upgrade anyway.

Edited by clanofwolves

1 hour ago, Pooleman said:

I can't think of any real issues. Some ships are a bit overpowered and some are under-powered but overall I see no problem with X-Wing. Every squad seems to have weaknesses that can counter it.

What counters turrets and bombs?

So against two high ps turrets you would use what exactly? Two high ps turrets. Seems like a problem. 

1 hour ago, Pooleman said:

Higher PS, other turrets, focus fire. 

58 minutes ago, RufusDaMan said:

So against two high ps turrets you would use what exactly? Two high ps turrets. Seems like a problem. 

Try these tips:

Use The Force.

Your eyes can deceive you, don’t trust them. 

Unlearn what you have learned. 

Reach out with your feelings. 

Let go. 

ScummyRebel and Nyxen like this