Sign in to follow this  
wintermoonwolf

Imperial Unit Symbolizm

18 hours ago, wintermoonwolf said:

....Do the imperials have any unit symbols that define different organizations?.....  ...such as the German AFRIKORPS had the palmtrees....or the 101st has the Screaming Eagle....

Not well documented, but the answer to your question is......YES!

So WEG, in thier star wars minis game, established that Imperial vehicles could have simple inconography. Usually a color stripe and inventory number to help differentiate the vehicles, especially when in a large Depot.

But it also includes unit insigna for a repulsor tank unit.

Now... I know what you're thinking... That's not really canon anymore...so I give you this little jerk:

atst-hoth.jpg

That AT-ST has a feint, but present, insignia stenciled on the side. A little horned helmet similar in design to a clone or Mando helmet.

This would imply that, while not as prevalent as real world, the Imperal military does have unit insigna. Perhaps, while they exist, it's against reg to display them prominently.

So, why would that be? Simple. One of the whole "things" of the Empire is the appearance of a monolithic unstoppable Force. Allowing unit insigna would degrade that appearance. Sounds weird, but the US Army is actually dealing with this exact issue. Individual units, commands, and organizations in the US Army all have thier own heraldry, and they tend to display it to the extreme, to the point that they won't even make mention that they are part of the US Army. They just assume you know. The big Army isn't liking that though, and it's actually now reg that a lot of the uses of those unit insigna are not longer allowed. You use the big army "Star" logo, and then with associated text you can say what unit you are with. Even when you can use a second insignia (which is very specific about when), there's restrictions on it's placement and size relative to the Army logo.

So... There you go. Start designing unit insigna, and might I suggest you get some custom decal gear. I've used the Testors packs and while there's a little trick to it, they work well. Print, seal, apply.

Yep. They take a little getting used to. Gotta know when to use white vs. clear sheets, gotta spray the sealant on in several light layers to prevent bleeding, gotta soak the decals for like EXACTLY five seconds, and gotta use micro Sol decal softener when applying the decals to surfaces that aren't flat.

But when you want to mark a vehicle or model with a small but detailed symbol, it's the easiest way to go.

If you want individuality to your uniformity you can go down the same route as the british army...

regiment /corp cap badge on barrack head-dress 

country flash on the left arm

div /bde flash under the country flash

unit TRF (tactical recognition flash... two or three colours which show which regiment /corp you are) on the top of the right arm. 

On 16/12/2017 at 4:22 PM, wintermoonwolf said:

...very interesting on the britarmy...thanks...i will needto look up...thanks.

Just dont get confused by 1 Div.... there Div flash is a charging rhino...but it goes right to left on the flash so it is worn on the right arm so 'its not running away from the enemy' :P

220px-1ukdiv.svg.png

1 Div flash... worn on the right arm (instead of the standard left) so that the rhino is charging not running away :P

Image result for 1 div uk

the lead quy here... you have his TRF on his right arm (infantry, cant tell what regiment).  on his left he has the Union Jack & what looks to be 9 Bde flash.

So in SW you'd have for example the legion icon on the right arm, the Imperial sign & fleet icons on the left

Edited by slasher956

On 12/14/2017 at 11:38 AM, Ghostofman said:

Not well documented, but the answer to your question is......YES!

So WEG, in thier star wars minis game, established that Imperial vehicles could have simple inconography. Usually a color stripe and inventory number to help differentiate the vehicles, especially when in a large Depot.

But it also includes unit insigna for a repulsor tank unit.

Now... I know what you're thinking... That's not really canon anymore...so I give you this little jerk:

atst-hoth.jpg

That AT-ST has a feint, but present, insignia stenciled on the side. A little horned helmet similar in design to a clone or Mando helmet.

This would imply that, while not as prevalent as real world, the Imperal military does have unit insigna. Perhaps, while they exist, it's against reg to display them prominently.

So, why would that be? Simple. One of the whole "things" of the Empire is the appearance of a monolithic unstoppable Force. Allowing unit insigna would degrade that appearance. Sounds weird, but the US Army is actually dealing with this exact issue. Individual units, commands, and organizations in the US Army all have thier own heraldry, and they tend to display it to the extreme, to the point that they won't even make mention that they are part of the US Army. They just assume you know. The big Army isn't liking that though, and it's actually now reg that a lot of the uses of those unit insigna are not longer allowed. You use the big army "Star" logo, and then with associated text you can say what unit you are with. Even when you can use a second insignia (which is very specific about when), there's restrictions on it's placement and size relative to the Army logo.

So... There you go. Start designing unit insigna, and might I suggest you get some custom decal gear. I've used the Testors packs and while there's a little trick to it, they work well. Print, seal, apply.

Man...  I am straining my eyes and I just cannot see it.  Do you have a clearer picture?

36 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

Man...  I am straining my eyes and I just cannot see it.  Do you have a clearer picture?

Sorry, took me a while to figure out the right google search to bring it up. It's the smudge up and to the right of the "ear" better seen in this shot, and the model documentation:

latest?cb=20080219143938&path-prefix=nl

latest?cb=20081214141753

The doc photo doesn't show it, but I've seen other sources showing (and the film still does kinda look like) it's stenciled on in red.

Looks a heck of a lot like a non-regulation unit insignia the vehicle crew just painted on. Real-world this is actually pretty common. I worked with a unit once that stenciled "Punisher" skulls on their vehicles.

And to be honest, i doubt if anyone would really be upset if you adopted a system of color stripes or markings for your troops that aren't canon. I'd actually suggest the marking styles seen used by the Clones in Clone Wars, since those Clones helped train the first non-clone Stormtroopers, as well as served alongside said troopers. so some of those traditions might have stuck around, perhaps in more subdued forms. so colored shoulder pads, or stripes in certain areas, or helmet markings would all work.

http://www.starwars.com/databank/clone-trooper-armor-history-gallery

and i suspect that if you wanted to paint up certain troops in appropriate colors (desert themed regular troops with Tan armor for example, or scouts in terrain appropriate camo) no one would argue either. the all white in all terrain look is frankly a little odd and lots of fans as wel las lots of writers for the EU and current canon have gone the saner route of the trooper armor being terrain appropriate.