IG88E

Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi - Reviews (SPOILERS!!)

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 1:10 PM, LifeGain said:

It makes for a good quote, but that was one of the most horrible decisions by a person in a movie. She saved Finn from what would have been a heroic death (which would have been a good storytelling point) because she loved him. She had no idea Luke would come and save the Resistance. She put the whole Resistance, and therefore the whole universe, at risk because she loved a guy. Love can make you do crazy things, but I just have a serious issue with you sacrificing potentially billions of lives because you loved someone.

That scene would have been a lot more powerful if we hadn't just seen Vice Admiral Jurassic-Park-Lady pull a successful self-sacrifice.  What especially got me was that if they had just had the beam fire immediately after Rose crashed into Finn, I feel it would have worked (because then it would be obvious that his plan was doomed to failure regardless of whether she rescued him or not).

Speaking of which, what were Finn and Rose even doing in the speeders anyway?  "Ma'am, we've found thirteen old, rusty speeders we may be able to use."  "Great!  Let's send our best pilots...as well as a janitor and a maintenance worker."

Then again, I guess you're going to get some of that after all your best officers get blown out of the bridge.

rip-admiral.jpg

Edited by JJ48

36 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

That scene would have been a lot more powerful if we hadn't just seen Vice Admiral Jurassic-Park-Lady pull a successful self-sacrifice.  What especially got me was that if they had just had the beam fire immediately after Rose crashed into Finn, I feel it would have worked (because then it would be obvious that his plan was doomed to failure regardless of whether she rescued him or not).

Speaking of which, what were Finn and Rose even doing in the speeders anyway?  "Ma'am, we've found thirteen old, rusty speeders we may be able to use."  "Great!  Let's send our best pilots...as well as a janitor and a maintenance worker."

Then again, I guess you're going to get some of that after all your best officers get blown out of the bridge.

rip-admiral.jpg

I wish I could like this more.

I will say that I very much enjoyed the Yoda scene, especially because it came across as Original Trilogy Yoda rather than Prequel Yoda, at least to me.

(Also, it looked like they were using a puppet rather than pure digital animation, and the puppets almost always look better in my opinion.)

2 hours ago, JJ48 said:

(Also, it looked like they were using a puppet rather than pure digital animation, and the puppets almost always look better in my opinion.)

I also very much enjoyed that most of the special effects looked like stuff in the original films. They had lots of costumes/puppets rather than CGI for the aliens, and when the golden dice in Kylo's hand faded away, that looked like a real Star Wars scene. The letters in the credits even had a little bit of wobble added to them!

I didn't notice any cardboard stand-ups in the armies though.

13 hours ago, Kieransi said:

I also very much enjoyed that most of the special effects looked like stuff in the original films. They had lots of costumes/puppets rather than CGI for the aliens, and when the golden dice in Kylo's hand faded away, that looked like a real Star Wars scene. The letters in the credits even had a little bit of wobble added to them!

I didn't notice any cardboard stand-ups in the armies though.

That's because they used all the cardboard stand-ups for major roles...

Kidding, of course.

Nothing like resurrecting this thread.

And I haven't even played X-Wing for a year, not liking where it has gone.  But this is still a great community to have banter with!

So, I found this to be a blisteringly accurate theory.  It should not surprise anyone, with that hint, about who makes the video :)