IG88E

Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi - Reviews (SPOILERS!!)

All evidence pointed to Finn riding into the center of the weapon and blowing it up though. Which leads to another gripe I have which is that the First Order ground forces watched this happen and then let Finn walk several miles back to the base...

Edited by LifeGain

3 minutes ago, LifeGain said:

All evidence pointed to Finn riding into the center of the weapon and blowing it up though. Which leads to another gripe I have which is that the First Order ground forces watched this happen and then let Finn walk several miles back to the base...

Thematically sure, we know  visually the First Order uses weapons that tend to be vulnerable when about to fire.

However let's say he does blow the weapon up, the First Order still has a fleet in orbit and a massive army at the doorstep. What will disabling one gun really do against the loss of a valuable soldier? The doors will still fall, they're powerful but not invincible. AT-M6's are more siege engines then assault walker, so that door was coming down.

Rose in that moment decided Finn was more valuable in the long term then temporarily delaying the First Order's advance.

Presumably the explosion would be massive and the damage extremely high (equipment and high-ranking personnel like Hux and/or Kylo). They could then use the transports that they came in to escape in all the chaos. Of course this would then lead to the issue of the fleet in orbit, but the Falcon, we assume, made it out (otherwise there would be no Episode 9) so the transports could likely escape as well through hyperspace (the older Gr-75 had a hyperdrive so this one does most likely). Plus, the whole First Order fleet would still likely be reeling from the weaponized hyperspace attack (which set a bad precedent while being the best scene in the movie imo).

32 minutes ago, LifeGain said:

It makes for a good quote, but that was one of the most horrible decisions by a person in a movie. She saved Finn from what would have been a heroic death (which would have been a good storytelling point) because she loved him. She had no idea Luke would come and save the Resistance. She put the whole Resistance, and therefore the whole universe, at risk because she loved a guy. Love can make you do crazy things, but I just have a serious issue with you sacrificing potentially billions of lives because you loved someone.

But you forget good sir feelz are realz!!!

1 hour ago, LifeGain said:

It makes for a good quote, but that was one of the most horrible decisions by a person in a movie. She saved Finn from what would have been a heroic death (which would have been a good storytelling point) because she loved him. She had no idea Luke would come and save the Resistance. She put the whole Resistance, and therefore the whole universe, at risk because she loved a guy. Love can make you do crazy things, but I just have a serious issue with you sacrificing potentially billions of lives because you loved someone.

I was legit cringing during that scene.  Fourth "noble sacrifice" scene of the movie, second "death fake out" of the movie, and it ended with the most uncomfortable cinematic kiss in recent memory.  I mean seriously, John Boyega looked like he simply did not want, on any level.

How he survived the approach was ridiculous enough; the charging megacannon literally warped and melted the guns on his speeder, but he was totally fine.  I guess plot armour is heat proof as well as high speed crash proof.

Edited by FTS Gecko

20 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I was legit cringing during that scene.  Fourth "noble sacrifice" scene of the movie, second "death fake out" of the movie, and it ended with the most uncomfortable cinematic kiss in recent memory.  I mean seriously, John Boyega looked like he simply did not want, on any level.

How he survived the approach was ridiculous enough; the charging megacannon literally warped and melted the guns on his speeder, but he was totally fine.  I guess plot armour is heat proof as well as high speed crash proof.

He had a window in front of him that covered him from the blast. 

18 minutes ago, kris40k said:

Because windshields are more resistant to heat than the barrel of an energy weapon?

I'm assuming glass in Star Wars is never actually glass but some form of transparisteel like in Star Trek?

The melting point for whatever element the glass is made of must be a higher temperature then some of the metals used on the speeder.

As a mechanical engineering student, I just spent a whole semester learning on the atomic level why ceramics have a much higher melting point and elastic modulus than metals. If we assume that windows in Star Wars are some sort of transparent ceramic (like quartz) rather than glass, it totally makes sense that the guns would melt before the windshield. However, the heat would've easily gotten through the hole in the floor that Poe had put his foot through, or the open windows on the side of the speeder. So we can only assume that the guns melted because they were in the middle of the superlaser beam, and it was significantly cooler out to the sides of the beam (where Finn's cockpit was). 

13 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

As a mechanical engineering student, I just spent a whole semester learning on the atomic level why ceramics have a much higher melting point and elastic modulus than metals. If we assume that windows in Star Wars are some sort of transparent ceramic (like quartz) rather than glass, it totally makes sense that the guns would melt before the windshield. However, the heat would've easily gotten through the hole in the floor that Poe had put his foot through, or the open windows on the side of the speeder. So we can only assume that the guns melted because they were in the middle of the superlaser beam, and it was significantly cooler out to the sides of the beam (where Finn's cockpit was). 

...did they even have a fully enclosed cockpit?

new-star-wars-the-last-jedi-tv-spot-feat 

Edited by FTS Gecko

43 minutes ago, Forresto said:

I'm assuming glass in Star Wars is never actually glass but some form of transparisteel like in Star Trek?

The melting point for whatever element the glass is made of must be a higher temperature then some of the metals used on the speeder.

Transparent aluminum

32 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Doesn't really need to be. It's designed to cover the pilot and divert anything blowing/flowing towards it outta the way. Like a convertible. 

If we want to talk radiation posioning then that's another matter. Of course every character should have radiation sickness in Star Wars given how loose engineering protections tend to be.

Edited by Forresto

1 hour ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yeah, that's what I said, the heat would've easily gotten in and cooked him. We can only assume the beam was hottest in the middle (where the guns were). Or I guess we could also assume Finn is the Incredible Hulk. 

2 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Yeah, that's what I said, the heat would've easily gotten in and cooked him. We can only assume the beam was hottest in the middle (where the guns were). Or I guess we could also assume Finn is the Incredible Hulk. 

The Eric banna version?

Is it just me, or do the skim speeders really resemble B-Wings? If you look at a picture, you can see the long profile, guns at one end, cockpit on another, and engines in the middle that is in the exact same layout as a B-Wing.

Wow, is that the most inappropriate description ever or what?

10 hours ago, Celestial Lizards said:

Is it just me, or do the skim speeders really resemble B-Wings? If you look at a picture, you can see the long profile, guns at one end, cockpit on another, and engines in the middle that is in the exact same layout as a B-Wing.

Wow, is that the most inappropriate description ever or what?

Yeah, it's not just you.  They're sideways B-Wings, only with no armour, no shields and apparently no useful weapons.

The Crait "battle" was beautifully shot, but served no purpose other than to show Poe had "learned his lesson" from earlier in the film.  Instead of refusing to abort and getting all his wingmen killed, this time he only gets 75% of them killed before deciding to abort.  I don't think the speeders caused a single casualty to the First Order?  Certainly they never took down the cannon or any of the walkers.

19 hours ago, LifeGain said:

Finn wasn't going to succeed. You may have noticed the speeders had no weapons, and were literally disintegrating on his way there?

18 hours ago, kris40k said:

Because windshields are more resistant to heat than the barrel of an energy weapon?

Maybe? Someone call the star wars equivalent of Werner Von Kerman. Who even knows what space-windshields are made of?

18 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

I think that's setting up the triangle. She loves him but he doesn't love her. Also I thought it was more like it was pre-blasting and it didn't melt so much as peel away because the laser was already pushing against it, but I am not a space-gun-expert.

16 hours ago, Kieransi said:

You know, if Rian Johnson had Finn actually Hulk-out during the movie, I wouldn't have been the least surprised.

4 minutes ago, FourDogsInaHorseSuit said:

Maybe? Someone call the star wars equivalent of Werner Von Kerman. Who even knows what space-windshields are made of?

Honestly, I'm not hung up over the weapon barrel v. cockpit melting. Physics in Star Wars has always taken a back seat to what was needed for the story or what looked cool, and that's ok in Sci-Fantasy. Kind alike how we say "gameplay > fluff" in X-Wing, for the movies and books its "fluff > physics"

37 minutes ago, FourDogsInaHorseSuit said:

Finn wasn't going to succeed. You may have noticed the speeders had no weapons, and were literally disintegrating on his way there?

The speeder was the weapon. It had highly explosive fuel I would assume. Plus, the only thing that we see melt is the guns iirc.

We shouldn't even be having this discussion because the AT-ATs (or whatever those gorilla walker thingies you youngsters drive around on your fancy ground assaults these days are called) should have obliterated him right then and there.

Edited by debiler