IG88E

Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi - Reviews (SPOILERS!!)

6 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

The lightsaber throw was the first of Rian Johnson's "oh you thought I gave any sort of **** about anything from any of the previous films?  Haha, you nerd!" moments.

It was the first moment in the cinema where my spidey-sense really severely tingled, as I hadn't minded the Hux/Poe bit.

So you were expecting some heavy moment where he clutched Anakin Skywalker’s lightsaber and then would force rise his T-65 from the waters, climb in and then zoom off to face the entire First Order with said laser sword?

I’m glad it didn’t go how you thought. 

28 minutes ago, Hobojebus said:

Of course they did the last thing they need after so vocal a backlash is someone as loved as Mark hamill trashing the director.

Though I'd of loved a few cutting remarks in the jokers voice.

Still, it's interesting to note that he's said "he regrets saying them in public", not that he "regrets saying them".

It's a shame pretty disgusting Disney has to be so heavy-handed with the original cast, both in their treatment of the characters and the actors themselves.

Edited by FTS Gecko

omg hurt feelings.

Sorry, but the creative process isn't actor first.  I like Mark Hamill and it is excellent that he expresses his point of view but the success of the movie wasn't on him, it's on the directors, the producers and the writers.  I'm not even arguing whether you should like TLJ, even if I did, but actors have points of views, and they study what they think their roles should be but you know what Mark Hamill did best?  Mark Hamill was a professional who did his job anyway, as the director asked him to.

I don't particularly care for actors to necessarily take over either...because sometimes it's okay, and sometimes we get Aliens 3 and Star Trek V.  Really, Shatner...you couldn't have done worse.

No, Mark Hamill wouldn't have been that bad, lol!  However...they get to say what they want, and have a job to do at the same time.  Thankfully, that's what he did. 

By the way, Hamill apparently misses that Yoda 'runs' from his 'problems'.  Which I get that Luke would have issue with, however, Yoda as it turns out is the smart one.  And in TLJ, I hate to say but Luke makes a fearful move, and a smart move at the same time, by removing himself.  At least smart, consistent with the character from the last 2 movies.  So it happens to work extremely well imo.

Auteur theory would have it that the director is the creative vision behind a film. In reality, it truly isn't so simple. Actors often bring their own unique visions to the interpretation of a role, and the studio system has brought in additional 'creative' forces pulling on the film that have primarily financial interests.

1 hour ago, KelRiever said:

Sorry, but the creative process isn't actor first.  I like Mark Hamill and it is excellent that he expresses his point of view but the success of the movie wasn't on him, it's on the directors, the producers and the writers.  I'm not even arguing whether you should like TLJ, even if I did, but actors have points of views, and they study what they think their roles should be but you know what Mark Hamill did best?  Mark Hamill was a professional who did his job anyway, as the director asked him to.

True enough, but when an actor who has played a beloved, iconic character very successfully multiple times, who has grown up with and watched said character evolve comes straight out and tells their new director who hasn't been involved with the story before "I fundamentally disagree with every decision you've made for my character", then that director (and the studio) really ought to take note and pay attention.

Mark has every right to voice opinions, concerns and misgivings over roles he plays, and shouldn't need to apologise for doing so or stay silent.  If that's what Disney want, then maybe they should have stuck with animated characters.

Many of the best moments in cinematography have been contributed or improvised by actors.  @Kubernes highlighted one above.  Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner would be another example.

It's not something worth financially supporting but it's not a waste of time to watch if you have access to it without personally paying for it. So Netflix, amazon, friends owning a DVD or something else is recommended.

2 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

So you were expecting some heavy moment where he clutched Anakin Skywalker’s lightsaber and then would force rise his T-65 from the waters, climb in and then zoom off to face the entire First Order with said laser sword?

Well, if we were in a universe where only those two extremes of possibilities existed... that would be a lot better than the crap we got.

6 hours ago, Hobojebus said:

Of course they did the last thing they need after so vocal a backlash is someone as loved as Mark hamill trashing the director.

Though I'd of loved a few cutting remarks in the jokers voice.

He never trashed the director. Fanboys took his comments way, way too far. 

10 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

Congratulations on bashing your strawman target.

57 minutes ago, Larky Bobble said:

Congratulations on bashing your strawman target.

Fair. 

But if one is complaining about the lightsaber scene, what should have happened?

i think the scene played out how it should have. The exile Luke wasn’t impressed, he has moved beyond such things. 

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

I don't have 31 minutes, what the **** does "getting moused" mean?

I think it means that he became so apologetic over the film since his previous "rant" video about the moments he thought were complete BS. The video is essentially him just giving excuses for particular moments. It's almost a 180 from him so I guess Disney sent him a message?

9 minutes ago, Kubernes said:

I think it means that he became so apologetic over the film since his previous "rant" video about the moments he thought were complete BS. The video is essentially him just giving excuses for particular moments. It's almost a 180 from him so I guess Disney sent him a message?

Hahahahaha.

God forbid people change their opinions.

No.

Gotta be a conspiracy.

15 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

The lightsaber throw was the first of Rian Johnson's "oh you thought I gave any sort of **** about anything from any of the previous films?  Haha, you nerd!" moments.

It was the first moment in the cinema where my spidey-sense really severely tingled, as I hadn't minded the Hux/Poe bit.

Or it was the scene from the movie that was on the screen and not the imaginary personal attack you seem to have internalized? 

1 hour ago, BlodVargarna said:

Fair. 

But if one is complaining about the lightsaber scene, what should have happened?

i think the scene played out how it should have. The exile Luke wasn’t impressed, he has moved beyond such things. 

I think it would have been funnier and better conveyed the message if holds it out, and he just stares at it and then she shakes it like "take it"  and then she tosses it to him and he throws it back and there's a hot potato moment before she throws it and he sidesteps or something. Maybe some dialogue about "don't care". 

1 hour ago, Captain Lackwit said:

Hahahahaha.

God forbid people change their opinions.

No.

Gotta be a conspiracy.

Or a joke? I guess people on the internet have no sense of humor?

This post sponsored by The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary.

Edited by Kubernes

11 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

Fair. 

It depends on how bitter and lacking in grace he would be potrayed as. The scene makes sense from a "Yoda testing" style, but to me that wasn't how they sold it, it was a grumpy gramp for shock. Personally I would imagine him just holding it, carressing it, and then... Giving it back, with dignity.

6 hours ago, Larky Bobble said:

Personally I would imagine him just holding it, carressing it, and then... Giving it back, with dignity.

And that is why you fail. 

(And before you get all offended, this was meant to be a joke)

Edited by BlodVargarna

Motive is important when considering Luke’s reaction to the lightsaber. He wants to get rid of Rey. Obvious indifference is a great way to push people away. Showing any kind of respect, nostalgia or attachment to that lightsaber would undermine Luke’s motive. You can’t change that scene without fundamentally changing everything that follows it in the Rey-Luke arc. (Yes, I know that’s what some of you want.)

Through a lens of motive, Luke tossing the lightsaber over his shoulder makes a lot of sense. It’s surprising and comical, maybe too comical, but it makes sense in context.

I saw TLJ for the second time yesterday and liked it as much, even more maybe.

Someone said it best above, I think.  People who hate (or want to hate, which is a different kind of person) can pick apart anything.  People who like (or who are sworn to like, again, a different kind of person) can forgive anything.

No one has to change their mind, but I think if people are open to it, they will look at the film again and find it really is great.  It may not be what was expected, but it really is up there, to me, in the amazing Star Wars movies, for all the reasons I've said.  And when I watched it again, I remembered some and found other things that I love about the movie.

19 minutes ago, KelRiever said:

Someone said it best above, I think.  People who hate (or want to hate, which is a different kind of person) can pick apart anything.  People who like (or who are sworn to like, again, a different kind of person) can forgive anything.

"Love is blind" is the entire case for the defense, huh?  Dear God, if that's "saying it best", then we've got some serious problems here.

I mean seriously.  You're effectively writing off anyone who expresses reservations, criticisms or dislke for the film as a "hater" (presumably that includes Mark Hamill?), while people who ignore valid criticisms and complaints and sticks their head in the sand is essentially a "true fan".  That's pathetic.

Going back to the point about how "the movie is better when you've read the books/comics etc"...

...haven't we just had this discussion a couple of weeks ago with the whole Battlefront 2 fiasco?  EA were slammed for releasing a sub-par product riddled with microtransactions, now Disney are getting a pass on a sub-par film that has it's microscopically thin characters and plot fleshed out in supplementary materials?  I mean come on people, try and be a little bit more consistent than the film is, at least.

Edited by FTS Gecko

22 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Still, it's interesting to note that he's said "he regrets saying them in public", not that he "regrets saying them".

It's a shame pretty disgusting Disney has to be so heavy-handed with the original cast, both in their treatment of the characters and the actors themselves.

In context that he said as well that he loved the end result and respected Rian and it seems that both enjoyed arguing about the character ... yeah, I would regret saying something which gets used by the alt right for their agenda, especially if I would be as outspoken against the alt right as Hamill is. 

And here you stand and try to use his words for your own agenda. I am sure there is an Joker voice to comment on that as well. ;-)