IG88E

Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi - Reviews (SPOILERS!!)

3 minutes ago, poke450 said:

I think phasma can still be alive, as she is still wearing her outfit, I think she could lose her eye though.

[Finn jumps on speeder bike. Rose gets on behind.]

"Who's chopper is this?"

"Phasma's"

"Who's Phasma?"

"Phasma's dead, baby. Phasma's dead"

["Out of Limits" by The Ventures plays as they skim across the surface of Crait]

It would be hilarious if Phasma showed up in Ep9 with robotic eye and other cool modifications, shouted "FN-xxxx!!!!" and died uselessly for the third time, for example crushed by a falling piano. She could be a running gag for the next trilogy too, until she becomes a Star Wars tradition like bad feelings and Wilhelm.

4 hours ago, eMeM said:

That's it for the sequels for me, I hope Filoni's next TV series won't be set in this hopeless era. And with Johnson being in charge of the next trilogy it looks like spin offs are our only hope.

Now, now don't say that, Filoni was able to make the prequel characters likable through the Clone Wars so maybe if he does have to do a series set in that era they can be fleshed out a good deal more. 

4 hours ago, Obi Juan Kenobi said:

I didn't hate TFA, I think Abrams gave just about enough to setup a decent trilogy....Right now I can't see how he can conclude this trilogy, unless disney are already thinking about another episode trilogy?

Leaving the theater I'm wondering how they are going to complete this trilogy. The PT was about the fall of the Republic, and the OT was the fall of the Empire but the ST had the fall of the New Republic in episode 7 and more or less the rise of the First Order in 8, so are they really expecting to end it in Episode 9? With the recently announced trilogy by Rian Johnson I'm wondering if they might just have it be a continuation to the ST with Rey going into the position of Obi-Wan/Luke as a mentor possibly to the boy from Canto Bright or the like. 

4 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

Boba Fett has zero lines in ESB. He stands around and then pushes a carboniteized Han into his ship. Character arc? Development? None but who cares? He looked cool. ROJ: says nothing, makes is accidentally knocked into the Sarlacc pit, and has a Wilhem.  

Oh that isn't true, he gives "As you wish" when Vader tells him no disintegrations and also says "He is no good to me dead." when they were going to put Han in the carbon freezing chamber. :P

6 hours ago, RampancyTW said:

Yes, I'm sure the people upset about Phasma because they totally waste her potential as a character are just sexist.

I was referring to her reception after the TFA, nothing about any character in TLJ was well executed or satisfying and everyone should be upset about how she and everyone else was handled.

2 minutes ago, Princezilla said:

I was referring to her reception after the TFA, nothing about any character in TLJ was well executed or satisfying and everyone should be upset about how she and everyone else was handled.

It was the same then anger that a talented actress got wasted in a cameo role while worse actors got major parts.

I come From my second viewing and I'm afraid snap quickly dies at the beginning, in the first space battle before the bombers go boom. Can anyone confirm if that's him? Looked like him but with less than 2 sec screen time is hard to tell. I can only confirm the alien pilot is not Ello, has lighter skin colour and Poe calls him C'tai towards the end of the movie.

2 minutes ago, Andreu said:

I come From my second viewing and I'm afraid snap quickly dies at the beginning, in the first space battle before the bombers go boom. Can anyone confirm if that's him? Looked like him but with less than 2 sec screen time is hard to tell. I can only confirm the alien pilot is not Ello, has lighter skin colour and Poe calls him C'tai towards the end of the movie.

I think that guy had brown hair, not black hair. He was pretty much Porkins 2.0

I didn't notice any of Black Squadron (the A-Wing pilot wasn't a member of Black Squadron, right?) 

I'm not sure where they are in this movie. Maybe Poe Dameron Comics will explain that to us later. Otherwise, they were probably in random exploded transport #3. 

2 minutes ago, Andreu said:

Probably given that they just casually threw Akbar out an airlock without giving him a single significant line. There was zero respect for any character who had appeared in prior works and in fact the disrespect for them was so aggressive it seemed deliberate.

5 hours ago, debiler said:

BlodVargarna, what with the aggressive stance, man? I mean, I don't like the prequels either. But does that give me the right to just dismiss other people's opinions? Be reasonable or just keep quiet, dude.

He seems to get pretty nasty, at times. It’s very off putting. Also, @BlodVargarna, Boba Fett does have dialogue in the Empire Strikes Back. He tells Vader that Han Solo is no good to him dead. 

1 minute ago, Princezilla said:

Probably given that they just casually threw Akbar out an airlock without giving him a single significant line. There was zero respect for any character who had appeared in prior works and in fact the disrespect for them was so aggressive it seemed deliberate.

At least they mention Akbar's dead as a tragedy. But yeah... I think they did not developed secondary characters at all... At this rate the SW universe will shrink instead of expand.

15 minutes ago, Andreu said:

At least they mention Akbar's dead as a tragedy. But yeah... I think they did not developed secondary characters at all... At this rate the SW universe will shrink instead of expand.

When they said Ackbar was dead, I said “Wait...Ackbar was alive?”

I realize now that he was in TFA, but at the time I saw the movie I just thought that was some other Mon Cal. And I can’t remember even seeing him in TLJ.

1 hour ago, eMeM said:

It would be hilarious if Phasma showed up in Ep9 with robotic eye and other cool modifications, shouted "FN-xxxx!!!!" and died uselessly for the third time, for example crushed by a falling piano. She could be a running gag for the next trilogy too, until she becomes a Star Wars tradition like bad feelings and Wilhelm.

Yea, Phasma's definitely an odd bird.  

Writer 1: "Let's give her cool, unique armor in an army known for uniformity and standardization, and rank her to Captain!"

Writer 2:  "Bit make sure she literally does nothing correct or does anything of merit so that the viewers can ponder how she even got there"

Even my wife after Ep VII noticed that every time Phasma was shown, she never did anything right.   VIII didn't improve that image

2 hours ago, Ktan said:

If Pava is unceremoniously dead I will personally fist-fight Rian Johnson*.

I feel Snap might be safe, though. I imagine it's in his contract that JJ Abrams has to personally sign off, in triplicate, to allow anyone kill off Greg Grunberg characters.

*This post may contain hyperbole

Are they with the people in Millennium Falcon? If not, they are dead.

It happens. Especially in a war.

There's a (slim) chance that they were off scouting/gathering allies but I'll admit it's a slim chance.

FWIW, I'm okay if Pava did bite the dust, I just would have hoped she'd not get an off-screen death.

Edited by Ktan

A while ago someone (the guy who runs the Spacedock channel, think he's called Daniel?) called that the Raddus wasn't going to survive the film and suggested it should have been Home One to really hit that sad nostalgia nerve.

I'm not sure if that's a better idea, it might stretch incredulity to the average viewer to see a 30+ year old ship*, but I have to admit it'd have been a nice send off for Ackbar too.

I know Ackbar's original actor died fairly recently. Was it before TLJ was being filmed? That might explain the decision to minimise his role. He was only a cameo in TFA anyway, I suppose they needed to account for him not being around much longer. RIP, my aquatic buddy, though. RIP.

*I know, I know, 30 year old ship is possibly not ACTUALLY that much of a stretch, I'm sure there's IRL precedent for such a thing but your average move-goer probably doesn't realise this and expects technological progression across films.

Edited by Ktan

I'm just back from my second time seeing the movie. Wow, this time it was amazing!

I still dislike the spacewalk, BB8, and the lack of backstory for Snoke. But the rest? Great!

There are many things I did not realize on the first viewing, like Rey storing the books, or Luke not leaving marks in the salt. I did notice the hair and the wrong lightsaber the first time already, but now I noticed that Leia is literally telling us to look at the hair. She says: "I know what you want to say. I changed my hair!". And we laugh about it, completely forgetting that we as audience wanted to say that to Luke!

One thing that stood way more out is how incredibly often the movie is directly addressing us, the audience:

• "Let the past die, kill it if you have to"
  • Teach about failure (maybe together with Maz joking about trade disputes)
  • "I know what you want to say. I changed my hair"
  • Snoke mocking Kylo for losing against Rey, directly repeating a wide spread criticism
  • Kylo to Rey: "You know who your parents were. Say it". Rey: "Nobody"

And many, many more. And the sad thing is, all these are still missed by the audience! I know I missed some at the first time, and this thread is full of misunderstandings.

Edit: more examples, I'll keep adding if I remember more

• Rey asking Luke to come and fight the FO, and Luke literally says: "What do you expect to happen?! That I take a laser sword and singlehandedly defeat the First Order?!" Directly addressing us and our inflated expectations as to what he'll be able to do
  • Leia: „Why are you looking at me?! Follow him!“
Edited by GreenDragoon

17 minutes ago, codegnave said:

HOWEVER! The transports were unsheilded and slow (i think they were slow, not sure)

They certainly weren't fast.  They were moving at a fraction of the speed pretty much every other transport we've seen in the movies moves - the Falcon, the Lamdda, Rogue One... they were being plinked out of the air for upwards of 20 (interminable) minutes of screen time.

Of course the entire Death Caravan was pretty much done in slow motion...

1 hour ago, Ktan said:

A while ago someone (the guy who runs the Spacedock channel, think he's called Daniel?) called that the Raddus wasn't going to survive the film and suggested it should have been Home One to really hit that sad nostalgia nerve.

I'm not sure if that's a better idea, it might stretch incredulity to the average viewer to see a 30+ year old ship*, but I have to admit it'd have been a nice send off for Ackbar too.

I know Ackbar's original actor died fairly recently. Was it before TLJ was being filmed? That might explain the decision to minimise his role. He was only a cameo in TFA anyway, I suppose they needed to account for him not being around much longer. RIP, my aquatic buddy, though. RIP.

*I know, I know, 30 year old ship is possibly not ACTUALLY that much of a stretch, I'm sure there's IRL precedent for such a thing but your average move-goer probably doesn't realise this and expects technological progression across films.

Raddus was a 30 years old ship.

48 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

One thing that stood way more out is how incredibly often the movie is directly addressing us, the audience:

Great, so the film's dialogue has fairly obvious, heavy-handed subtext.

That doesn't mean we have to like what it's telling us.

It doesn't make it great writing, either.

Edited by FTS Gecko