IG88E

Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi - Reviews (SPOILERS!!)

1 minute ago, BlodVargarna said:

Boba Fett has zero lines in ESB. He stands around and then pushes a carboniteized Han into his ship. Character arc? Development? None but who cares? He looked cool. ROJ: says nothing, makes is accidentally knocked into the Sarlacc pit, and has a Wilhem.  

Phasma is way more interesting and developed as a character, but who cares? She’s just to look cool. That’s her entire point. To be ruthless (and a coward) and then say some mean stuff, then die. Freaking Phasma is your problem with these movies? Good Lord. 

That's A. Not true, and B. Completely underselling his role.  His interactions with Vader, tracking the Falcon to Bespin, rattling Luke, escaping with Han... he looks cool and DOES STUFF. Phasma doesn't DO anything, and when she does it's giving up the codes.  So cool...

Phasma isn't developed at all.  She doesn't DO anything!  She's not anyone's problem with the movies, she's just one of many narrative blueballs in TLJ.

I liked TFA.  It wasn't perfect, but overall I thought it was solid.  I think TLJ is a mess.  The good parts are great, amazing even, but the bad parts really grate at me.

28 minutes ago, debiler said:

BlodVargarna, what with the aggressive stance, man? I mean, I don't like the prequels either. But does that give me the right to just dismiss other people's opinions? Be reasonable or just keep quiet, dude.

Don’t tell me what to do DUDE. 

honestly, the reason why Boba is cool (before Return of the Jedi, but then again the movie messes with Han too :( ) and Phasma isn't  is that Phasma isn't meant to be cool

if she were fleshed out more to be shown as a cruel, skilled but spineless taskmaster then she'd be more of a character than boba. She had potential to be a very interesting look at the inner workings of the first order.

Now Boba is just cool. He's about the only badbass who could talk to Vader as a goddamn equal, and I think that elevated his air of awesome mystery a lot more than anything plot related thing he did in the movie (apart from knowing Luke was around just by hearing him draw his blaster). He's not at all important to the plot of ESB, but he's out of the way enough to serve as something entertaining and a small glimpse of the lengths the empire is willing to go to.

Edited by ficklegreendice

This is an amazing addition and is immediately in my top five Star Wars movies. Both Rogue One and this film joined that list in only the last few years, so I am very happy and appreciative of the new work being done here. 

I loved the inglorious end of Snoke the most of all, especially after his grandiose tirade. So satisfying. Instead of it being an act of grand redemption, as it was for Vader, it is Kylo going even more emo. Perfect. 

I thought the story was mostly about the flawed relationships between masters and pupils, and felt that was executed very well. I can definitely see why those who cannot move beyond the original trilogy would hate this, because the movie was kind of a middle finger to that mindset. Let the past die, we are what they grow beyond, etc.

Anyway, great movie. This is science fantasy folks, it always has been. I am honestly not trying to be a jerk here. Just don't let the little dramatic visual flairs that don't exactly line up with your expectations of the science ruin it for you. 

Edited by RebelProfundity
Visual flairs, not fairs

1 hour ago, Captain Nippon said:

The ballistic ship ordnance was ridiculous indeed. For the bombs I just figured there was some sort of propulsion system in place.

If fat the case then they didn’t need to fly “over” the dreadnaught. They could have angled the bottom part of the ship towards the dreadnaught and let them go. 

1 hour ago, BlodVargarna said:

Get over it. 

Get over it? Like you “got over” me listing 4 T-70s in your “Triple T-70 Viability” thread? How about you chill out. It’s a legitimate fault in the movie. 

5 hours ago, Reaver027 said:

I must be your polar opposit. Loved RO and think 8 is the worst Star Wars movie ever.

If this is what SW will be going forward i am no longer interested. I already had no real intentions to watch the Solo movie but would have anyway. I will watch 9 to have an end to the Saga and because i trust JJ but i will not watch any more SW from Rian Johnson. 

I am glad that we both got some Star Wars we both loved. Sure, I am more happy about the VIII than RO, but still I could think of worse ways to handle the diverse fanbase than to create something for everyone. :)
The only downside is imo that they mix Abrams with Johnson in the same trilogy. I literally can not name any JJ movie that I liked. He killed star trek for me and nearly killed star wars.  ^_^ 

1 hour ago, RampancyTW said:

That's A. Not true, and B. Completely underselling his role.  His interactions with Vader, tracking the Falcon to Bespin, rattling Luke, escaping with Han... he looks cool and DOES STUFF. Phasma doesn't DO anything, and when she does it's giving up the codes.  So cool...

Phasma isn't developed at all.  She doesn't DO anything!  She's not anyone's problem with the movies, she's just one of many narrative blueballs in TLJ.

I liked TFA.  It wasn't perfect, but overall I thought it was solid.  I think TLJ is a mess.  The good parts are great, amazing even, but the bad parts really grate at me.

That's something important to note, though it underlines as well that Jyn Erso got in her own movie less characterisation by action than even Plasma got in TLJ. :) Jyn does even less in RO, stuff happens to her, but she isn't doing anything by her own choice ... Phasma has a similar problem in TFA, less so in TLJ. 

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

The rug-pulling moments - Leia's "death", Finn's "sacrifice" and Luke's "deception" - all really annoyed me.  I absolutely despise the "here's a massive, emotional tear-jerking character death BUT WAIT - GOTCHA, THEY'RE STILL ALIVE!" trope really raises my hackles.  I went from loving them to facepalming at them with the bait-and-switch.

That's btw something interesting, because none felt like a bait and switch to me. 

For Leia I was sitting in my seat and hoping for those miniaturized energy field based space suits. So that one worked for me.
For Snoke I was sitting in my seat and praying that they have the guts to have Kylo kill him and have it all planned right from the beginning. That Han was his sacrifice to betray Snoke. This was literally the only way I could have accepted his behavior in TFA and they did deliver exactly what I wanted and what I expected. 
For Finn I was sitting in my seat and hoping for Luke to show up and blowing the cannon up with his X-Wing just in the right moment. He would have had the time to join the action as Rey had travelled the whole distance a while ago. I was a little disappointed here about the super risky move to "safe Finn" especially when it looked at first that she killed herself in the process, which would make the whole stopping a good sacrifice with a pointless one really silly. But it was fitting for the theme of Rose and the movie. 
And Luke? ****, yes, the moment he walked out I was assuming that he was a force ghost and screwing with Kylo. It was something different and yet similar, a pleasant surprise. 

Now it still had some problematic choices on the technical stuff, so there is plenty stuff to nitpick about, but I really don't care. 

This was one of the rare movies which made "the answers" to plot progression stringent, logical, but uncertain enough to create doubt about how they resolve things. That's a pleasant change compared to the last two which made you not feel smart about guessing the plot right, but feeling dumb to watch a movie with so simple answers to story progression. Or in other words, the movie felt like something I wanted to see and not something that I have seen already a dozen times before. 

Well, I think its safe to say that FFG captured the effectiveness of the Resistance Bombers in their design of the ship from what they do in the movie. With the exception that the dang things don't even seem to have had any shields.

I was 95% pleased with the movie. Bonus points for not being a total rehash of ESB, only paying the occasional visual homage. 

Minor nitpicks.

More failure to use Phasma to full potential. At least there is some hope she might have survived to get a third chance at good use.

Continuity error. The big guns on the dreadnought can't hit the cruiser, but can hit the tiny transports on the other side of it with 100% accuracy.

Resistance is also either incompetent or chronically under funded if they didnt have their ships fully fueled and didn't have anywhere they could refuel. Its somewhat difficult the believe the First Order could rebuild to such a degree and with such open funding that then republic didn't notice or care. You don't build what they have without somebody noticing and caring.

Good stuff. 

Killing Snoke. Bold strategy there. Was not expecting. And had Kylo do it too. Bonus points for going with something new instead of predictable Rey Ex Machina. Downside is that we never get any explanation about Snoke and his back story, but I suppose we can get that elsewhere.

Luke. Master of Trolling. 

Chewie being a badass as always. Seems like he deserves PS9 not Rey.

Pacing was way better than the first movie, and the story actually had enough depth. Abrams finally learning how to make a good movie.

32 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

If fat the case then they didn’t need to fly “over” the dreadnaught. They could have angled the bottom part of the ship towards the dreadnaught and let them go. 

Fair enough, I didn't consider that. It's probably just another case of plot>realism and I can see why people have problems with this particular scene, even though it didn't irk me that much, personally. 

There were way worse offenders in that movie :P

3 hours ago, dotswarlock said:

7) I know they destroyed the government of the Republic in episode 7, but where are the fleets?  They are not all in one spot and no government would completely discard its armies when even basic spying would reveal that the First Order was building massive fleets.

I think the first order took over the republic. They killed all opposing senators and the republic fleet. The senators who supported the first order were the remaining members of the senate and thus in control. Overall the republic in general had not much fleet on their own, most military power was in the hands of the local systems anyway.