IG88E

Star Wars 8 - The Last Jedi - Reviews (SPOILERS!!)

Not going to read all of these comments, but just wanted to say this on Snoke.

The problem isn’t that he died, or how he died. I enjoyed that moment because it WAS unexpected.

There are two issues though- one is we have no understanding of the who, what, when, where, why and how of him becaming so powerful.

the second is the bigger issue though. Now that we know his end, we don’t even care about the first issue.

There is still the possibility that he is still alive. He could be even more powerful than Luke and have an illusion so full it seems physically real in every way. 

Thats a stretch theory for sure though.

1 minute ago, Boba Rick said:

That was a little gross when Luke milked that thing and drank it.

Best part of the movie. Too bad he didn't offer Rey any. The conflicted look on her face (disappoint the Jedi guru guy vs. drink weird slime) would've been priceless.

1 hour ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

I don’t think most people believe that line about her parents being nobody. That was Kylo smashing her down to make it seem like he was all she had.

What elso do they have to do?

TFA told us:

• Rey: "I'm no one"
  • Rey, very sarcastically: "Me too, big secret..."
  • Maz: "Whoever you're waiting for will never come back"
  • Daisy Ridley believed that it is not an open question and was surprised about the Luke (and Kenobi, and Palpatine, and Solo) speculations

TLJ told us that her parents are nobodies and she always knew. Her looking into the mirror does not show her parents, who are nobodies, but herself.

So what do they have to do to convince you people that her parents are actually not important?

1 hour ago, GreenDragoon said:

What elso do they have to do?

TFA told us:

• Rey: "I'm no one"
  • Rey, very sarcastically: "Me too, big secret..."
  • Maz: "Whoever you're waiting for will never come back"
  • Daisy Ridley believed that it is not an open question and was surprised about the Luke (and Kenobi, and Palpatine, and Solo) speculations

TLJ told us that her parents are nobodies and she always knew. Her looking into the mirror does not show her parents, who are nobodies, but herself.

So what do they have to do to convince you people that her parents are actually not important?

What I don't get is Rey's flashback. They show her being left behind with Unkar as a spaceship blasts off of Jakku. Then in this movie Kylo says they were Junk Traders buried somewhere in the Jakku desert. The flashback really makes it seem like they left the planet so it doesn't quite jive. You can finagle it by saying "oh they weren't leaving the planet, they were just heading to the next town over" or something. I'm sure that's how they'll justify it, but it feels kind of sloppy. Basically the flashback in TFA makes it seem like they left the planet and could be anybody, whereas TLJ tells us they've been on Jakku the entire time.

EDIT: I should say I don't necessarily believe Kylo was lying to Rey. If Rey's parents are nobodies then fine, whatever. Just seemed at odds with what I remember from TFA.

Edited by defkhan1

Really liked the movie, not sure just how much. I have quibbles here and there, but I feel like if they were to be 'fixed', then the movie would be really mathematically solved, or something. 

Highlights for me: Rose is a really good character. 

Finn starts to really develop as an independent character. 

Luke's whole storyline is awesome. 

'Force-Skype' is now a thing.  "this isn't a good time for me" "Can you see my surroundings?"

Poe being an idiot and getting in trouble for it was great. loved it when Leia stunned him. 

Ending with the kids was interesting 

Lows

smaller dose of Starfighters. 

would have liked to see more of Snoke.

Canto Bight was not my favorite part, especially the chase scene.

Was hoping either kylo or rey would more seriously be affected by the other side 

I did enjoy it, although it wasn't everything I hoped for. I think I'll like it even more with repeated views. 

First Star Wars movie i disliked. Never thought that was possible.

The movie lost me very early and was never able to get me back. So much wasted potential and too much stupid humor. Some scenes feel like they don't even belong into the mythos. The Finn subplot was so boring and unnessesary. There is just way too much i dislike. 

This is the first Star Wars movie i did not want to watch again right away. I am really disappointed. I can only hope JJ will deliver again. 

Just saw it

It has both perhaps of the coolest **** things I've seen in Star wars and definitely some of the goofiest **** things I've EVER seen 

You could def cut half of it, though. Poor Phasma didn't get much better treatment here than in ep 7. Saddest thing is Finn's emotional expression was incredible in that fight. 

If only we had seen Phasma conditioning her troops, seen what she put him through, it would've resonated 

Edit: crossfire formation was garbage, a single tie took out 3!

But the bomber itself is easily the most OP ship in the whole movie 

Edited by ficklegreendice

I didn ´t like the movie in general . It left me depressed in fact. I know that Luke was whiney brat in ANH but I couldn´ t believe the arc he took here. Throwing the lightsaber away was callous and disrespectful... The space chase was slow and dreary with an opening that was daft (Poe being funny on the comms). The comedy was weak in general.

I did like the end though. I am looking forward to the next/last movie as it appears that Kylo will bring down the first order from the inside with his absolute incompetence. I imagine it will sart with the idea of the galaxy being in chaos and everyone is just trying to pick up the pieces to form any sort of government.

All respect for bringing back ESP Yoda though.. His mannerisms and voice went back 35 years...

Overall, if TFA is a copy of ANH, this was the parody of ESB and RTJ mashed into gloop!

Edited by Larky Bobble

5 minutes ago, tsondaboy said:

They seriously need to bring the crew that made Rogue One and have them do the next trilogy. 

You cant have a Trekie that loaths star wars making your movies.   

Er JJ wasn't a trekkie that's why people hate the Calvin timeline and its merch  does not sell.

JJ is a star wars fan that's why treks action scenes were completely wrong and technical details of the ship were all wrong.

But I wouldn't want the rogue one crew back that film was overly long and dull with no protagonist I could support.

One problem they introduced in this movie that has really been bugging me is when Holdo smashed her cruiser into Snoke's main ship.  This dives right into a core problem of Star Trek that is usually not seen in Star Wars, in that in Star Trek they introduce new ways of cleverly getting out of situations but then seem to have amnesia the next time they are in that situation, or it never occurred to them the dozen other times they were in that situation before. 

If you have always been able to destroy super star destroyer sized ships with relatively small cruisers, why hasn't the resistance, or the rebellion before it, or the republic from the prequels before that, been building a cheap suicide cruiser this whole time to throw at these super ships?  Mass produce suicide cruisers and take down the entire Separatist/Empire/First Order fleet and just man them with 1 droid each to point the ship and push the hyperspace lever.  The other ships running out of fuel and just getting blown up also doesn't make much sense, since if they know they are done for they should have just turned around and smashed into the First Order fleet as well. 

Interestingly the animated series has an answer to this.  You bring Interdictor cruisers to prevent hyperspace jumps, which prevents this style of attack.  But Interdictors have never been seen in any of the movies, and apparently Snoke is too cheep to buy any in the TFA time period or he would have brought them when they have the last of the resistance fleet cornered. 

Another issue is they did not want to go into hyperspace because they were just going to get tracked by the main ship.  Why not split up the fleet when fuel is running low then?  The main ship wouldn't have followed the medical frigate into hyperspace when the main cruiser doesn't jump, so would have actually had a good chance of escaping on its own.  Ughhhh....  I guess just run out of fuel and die without even trying?

The movie was pretty good, but little details like this that end up shaping larger portions of the plot keep bugging me. 

Edited by Joe Censored