Stubby

Contraband Cybernetics question

Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn’t find one.  If I am stressed then reveal a red maneuver I don’t see how this card overrides forcing me to move s 2 white.  What am I missing?

It overrides the rule that you can’t execute red maneuvers or perform actions while stressed, but how does it override the rule that says “if a stressed ship reveals a red maneuver...”?  These seem like two different rules to me.

15 minutes ago, Stubby said:

It overrides the rule that you can’t execute red maneuvers or perform actions while stressed, but how does it override the rule that says “if a stressed ship reveals a red maneuver...”?  These seem like two different rules to me.

If you go into the FAQ and read the section that fully outlines this (it's mentioned in two places one is more complete than the other) the first line is "Stressed ships cannot reveal or execute red maneuvers" and then the second goes through the whole bit about what to do if a steessed ship does reveal red.  Since Cybernetics (and also Hera crew BTW) nullifies the prohibition then it's only natural that you don't follow through with the instructions for violating said prohibition.

The rules don't SPECIFICALLY say that anywhere but its only logical and besides if it didn't allow you to still avoid the enforced 2 straight the maneuver part of the clause wouldn't actually do anything so why would it exist?

Fair enough.  What I thought it would do is allow you to start unstressed, reveal red maneuver, get stress token from contraband, execute red maneuver, perform action, gain second stress token. 

Basically I thought it allowed you to perform a red maneuver and action at the cost of 2 stress.  (Which seems pretty crappy but logical)

Just some two cents:

Hera: "You can reveal and execute red maneuvers even while you are stressed."
BoShek: "... The ship can reveal and execute that maneuver even while stressed."
Contraband Cybernetics: "...you may perform actions and red maneuvers even while you are stressed."

You feel like FFG would realize by now they could alleviate a lot of questions by using the same structure in their wording. Someone take their dictionaries/thesauruses away.

12 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Fair enough.  What I thought it would do is allow you to start unstressed, reveal red maneuver, get stress token from contraband, execute red maneuver, perform action, gain second stress token. 

Basically I thought it allowed you to perform a red maneuver and action at the cost of 2 stress.  (Which seems pretty crappy but logical)

It does.

But it also allows you to do that if you're already stressed, and potentially to trigger things like Push the LImit and Experimental Interface in the process.

You are correct, but if you are already stressed and reveal a red maneuver then I still don’t see how this card prevents you from having to go 2 straight white.    

20 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Keep in mind that since you decide to use the card upon activation, you can change your mind about using it or not.  Examples:

- You plan to do a k-turn with CC, but a bump fest ruins your plan.  Don't use CC and do your k-turn, get the stress, but don't waste the upgrade.  You can still use CC next turn and get back in the fight immediately despite the stress from your first failed attempt.

- You plan to do a hard 1 red turn with CC while stressed, but your opponent anticipated perfectly and if you go there, you are doomed.  Don't use CC.  Hopefully the straight white 2 that you'll be forced to do will not be as damning.

- I'm not sure if you can do this, but: same example as above, but start without any stress.  You use CC to get a stress, but refuse to use the clause that allows you to perform a red manoeuver.  You therefore do a 2 white and still have your action, ending up with only 1 stress.

(Someone mind confirming whether that last one works?)

30 minutes ago, Stubby said:

You are correct, but if you are already stressed and reveal a red maneuver then I still don’t see how this card prevents you from having to go 2 straight white.    

Because otherwise it simply doesn't function at all.  It makes you stressed when you activate, which is before you reveal your manoeuvre.  It would only mention red moves if it meant for you to be able to do them, so...

It could have been worded way better, tbh.  I would have liked to see it say 'when you activate, gain one stress.  Until the end of the round, your stress tokens are ignored' or something like that.

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Because you don't use the Contraband Cybernetics upgrade at the proper place in your example.... The Ship activate, you choose to use it or not, you use it and then gain a stress, THEN you reveal your maneuver...

2 hours ago, Innese said:

Just some two cents:

Hera: "You can reveal and execute red maneuvers even while you are stressed."
BoShek: "... The ship can reveal and execute that maneuver even while stressed."
Contraband Cybernetics: "...you may perform actions and red maneuvers even while you are stressed."

You feel like FFG would realize by now they could alleviate a lot of questions by using the same structure in their wording. Someone take their dictionaries/thesauruses away.

The intent is fairly clear, but the wording is intensely frustrating.  As far as I know, this is the only card which refers to "performing" a maneuver of any kind.  Generally, actions are performed, and maneuvers are executed.

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

Because it says you can perform that red maneuver. By discarding CC and receiving it's stress, you can now ignore the "revealing a red maneuver while stressed" rule, as well as the "you cannot perform actions while stressed" rule, for the round. That's the entire purpose of the card.