Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gennataos

Tactics question: How to approach bombs with aces?

Recommended Posts

The Resistance bomber (specifically Crimson Specialist) has been dealing my Rebel aces list fits.  It's been paired with Miranda with a harpoon + third ship (shuttle, Jess, etc).  I'm not sure how to approach it.  If given the opportunity, I'll burn down Miranda and the game is over.  If that opportunity isn't presented, I find myself in bomb ****.  I'm not concerned with anything else in the list.  Poe can basically ensure Miranda never fires her missile, Fenn can nerf the living daylights out of incoming attacks.  

I think rock placement and a very controlled approach is the key to unlocking the puzzle.  I need the bomber committed to a path which takes it out of the fray, preferably before it begins.  I think I'm okay with losing Wedge and maybe even Fenn if it means Miranda is off the table, because even non-regen Poe can probably deal with the rest of the list.

Thoughts?  Wisdom?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first reflex: with Crimson specialist involved, you may wish to scrap multiple aces in favor of more expendable ships, or at least ships with turrets / auxiliary arcs.

 

At the end of the day, that bomber still only has 1 agility and 2 attack dice and its long range bomb placements is more limited.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, dotswarlock said:

My first reflex: with Crimson specialist involved, you may wish to scrap multiple aces in favor of more expendable ships, or at least ships with turrets / auxiliary arcs.

Yeah, I'm going to stick with the list, just trying to figure out how to make that climb a little less steep.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you need to approach from many directions your Rebel Aces (wedge, really) have it the hardest because of a lack of repositioning.  I think an open asteroid field might actually be preferrable.  Asteroids don't stop bombs and reveal bombing, but they do get in the way of moves you might want to take to get out of the boom.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

I think you need to approach from many directions your Rebel Aces (wedge, really) have it the hardest because of a lack of repositioning.  I think an open asteroid field might actually be preferrable.  Asteroids don't stop bombs and reveal bombing, but they do get in the way of moves you might want to take to get out of the boom.

I agree that an open area is good for maneuverability, but for a large base bomber like this which is slow to turn around, I think I want it forced into those rocks to take it out of the fight for a few rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I agree that an open area is good for maneuverability, but for a large base bomber like this which is slow to turn around, I think I want it forced into those rocks to take it out of the fight for a few rounds.

Maybe flank from a board edge.  Make it take suboptimal moves to launch at you, and get it pointed places you were never going to be anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gennataos said:

I agree that an open area is good for maneuverability, but for a large base bomber like this which is slow to turn around, I think I want it forced into those rocks to take it out of the fight for a few rounds.

Depends on bombs, but taking the bomber out of the fight this way generally means your opponent messed up. More likely, they'll use the tight spaces to catch in you a fire/bombing lane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The absolute worst thing I see people repeatedly do against ANY bomber is try to joust or chase or otherwise maximize shots per round

If you don't want to get bombed, you have to learn how to disengage

Sure it opens you up to shots, but they're 2 dice pets without mindlink or k4. Not exactly the stuff of legends

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. Stop trying to get the Range 1 shot and settle for the Range 2-3 with full dice mods. Range 1 may give you more dice, but they have a better change of blocking/bombing you in return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

The absolute worst thing I see people repeatedly do against ANY bomber is try to joust or chase or otherwise maximize shots per round

If you don't want to get bombed, you have to learn how to disengage

Sure it opens you up to shots, but they're 2 dice pets without mindlink or k4. Not exactly the stuff of legends

 

This is the main reason people complain about my deathrain utilizing bombletts

"Bombletts are so overpower wtf"

no...you flew right into the face of Deathrain....dafuq you expect is going to happen?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kilrex said:

Agreed. Stop trying to get the Range 1 shot and settle for the Range 2-3 with full dice mods. Range 1 may give you more dice, but they have a better change of blocking/bombing you in return.

Agreed...range 1 shots is the least of my worries to achieve, which would usually results in bad things.  I'd consider it for kill shots, but not for an opening engage. 

Thanks for all the input thus far, folks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Range1 is generally a trap for me, i usually dont try to get it and i always recommend people avoid actively hunting for R1.

Its the reason i despise using Fenn, hes complete garbage in R2 and the way my mind is wired to fly i always end up in the R2 area.

Especially if you are using a boost/roll to get the R1 when you already have a shot anyway its not worth it. The reason Expose is trash is +1 naked die is generally worse off than just having mods (talking the actual effect here not its absurd cost)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...