Megatronrex

The PentaVic Alignment

10 minutes ago, Democratus said:

I have no idea how to deploy - or how to learn about deploying.

It's the part of the game that baffles me the most. Even more than obstacle placement. :huh:

Play a list that has no ability to maneuver itself out of difficulty and you learn. Helps when you do play a manueverable list and its sooo easy. :D

Played a game last night using this PentaVic list. Wow! After just one game I'm realizing so much about deployment and maneuver. 

Played against an MC30 Akbar list (3xMC30 w/ TRC, Expanded Racks, Gunnery Teams + Flotilla + 4 A-Wings). The mission he chose was Opening Salvo.

It was an interesting game. I realized I have a lot to learn about moving slow big ships. All told, I ended up trading my flagship for one MC30. Because the Vics are so cheap  I only lost the game by 12 points.

Notes:

1) Skilled First Officer

Never realized how awesome this card truly was until this battle. Mid-game I had alternating Maneuver/Engineering commands and, when it mattered, this card guaranteed I had what I needed.

2) Non-modified dice are harsh

With no way to re-roll dice you are at the mercy of your luck. I rolled 75% blanks with my black dice all game.

3) It's hard to have every ship be useful

With super slow, bad-turning ships it's possible for your enemy to attack one side of your formation and leave the other side twiddling its thumbs.

4) This list teaches you to be okay with losing ships.

The goal of the PentaVic is to trade up. Each VSD is dirt cheap (~75 points). So losing one while taking down a key enemy ship is fine. The mental shift from "how do I keep my ships safe?" to "What will my inevitable sacrifice purchase me?" is profound.

3 minutes ago, Democratus said:

Played a game last night using this PentaVic list. Wow! After just one game I'm realizing so much about deployment and maneuver. 

Played against an MC30 Akbar list (3xMC30 w/ TRC, Expanded Racks, Gunnery Teams + Flotilla + 4 A-Wings). The mission he chose was Opening Salvo.

It was an interesting game. I realized I have a lot to learn about moving slow big ships. All told, I ended up trading my flagship for one MC30. Because the Vics are so cheap  I only lost the game by 12 points.

Notes:

1) Skilled First Officer

Never realized how awesome this card truly was until this battle. Mid-game I had alternating Maneuver/Engineering commands and, when it mattered, this card guaranteed I had what I needed.

With no way to re-roll dice you are at the mercy of your luck. I rolled 75% blanks with my black dice all game.

With super slow, bad-turning ships it's possible for your enemy to attack one side of your formation and leave the other side twiddling its thumbs.

The goal of the PentaVic is to trade up. Each VSD is dirt cheap (~75 points). So losing one while taking down a key enemy ship is fine. The mental shift from "how do I keep my ships safe?" to "What will my inevitable sacrifice purchase me?" is profound.

I've had a lot of fun with it for sure. I was going to switch to finally trying my triple Dic list but I keep going back to the Vics.

1) Skilled First Officer

I love SFO. I hate that this card only comes in the Liberty:angry:

My black dice seem to treat me fairly decent but my red dice hate me. They hate me a lot.

Every game I've played so far I've had 1 Vic that does absolutely nothing. I think a 4 Vic variant will eliminate this problem.

It feels so strange when you realize how hard it is to lose by a wide margin. I'm pretty sure it's impossible to get tabled without intentionally trying to. On the down side though it's very hard to manage any great MOV wins either.

3 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

I’m glad other people are picked by up education and wisdom from my insanity.

i do credit the 5 Vic list for my relative skill at maneuver with other ships these days.

I'm definitely glad you talked about it. It's a great teaching tool and surprisingly fun to play.

I think I've dropped to speed zero at some point with a Vic in every game I've played with this list so far. I also use the Commanders from Rebellion to mark my flagships. I've started deploying one of my Vics to run long ways along my deployment edge so that anything that tries to get behind me has to come straight into it's front arc. It helps me out a lot that nobody ever picks anything but Solar Corona for the objective.

My opponent chose Opening Salvo and it served him well. He was throwing 6 red dice from each MC30 in its first volley and, due to spacing, I couldn't concentrate my extra dice on a single ship.

It didn't help that of all 8 of the black dice I threw at long range with the objective - I scored exactly one hit. It was even worse that my opponent never rolled less than 6 damage (before TRC) with each of his volleys. #RNGESUS

37 minutes ago, Democratus said:

My opponent chose Opening Salvo and it served him well. He was throwing 6 red dice from each MC30 in its first volley and, due to spacing, I couldn't concentrate my extra dice on a single ship.

It didn't help that of all 8 of the black dice I threw at long range with the objective - I scored exactly one hit. It was even worse that my opponent never rolled less than 6 damage (before TRC) with each of his volleys. #RNGESUS

Ouch. That's some Dras level statistically abysmal dice. Thankfully I haven't run into any MC30s much less a trio of them. I've lost a Vic to a single activation of one of those little b******* before. 

25 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

Ouch. That's some Dras level statistically abysmal dice. Thankfully I haven't run into any MC30s much less a trio of them. I've lost a Vic to a single activation of one of those little b******* before. 

Ackbar. Enhanced armament. Torpedo variant mc30.

Same dice out each side as the front arc of an imp 1.

When you get a double side arc on a huge enemy arc... its a thing of beauty

^_^