Megatronrex

The PentaVic Alignment

On 12/17/2017 at 5:59 AM, Dr alex said:

Is JJ not a better option for this work of art? Yes Motti is adding 10 Hull per game, but JJ can add 10 yaw a turn...

My original thoughts were for JJ but after facing a bomber wing with it I was glad for Motti.

I got to run the Vics a couple more times while I was off for Christmas. Both of these were complete failures. The first was against another gimmick fleet. Sloane, 1 Raider1, 7 Gozanti Carriers, and 16 TIE fighters. Those TIEs came at me in waves and just completely wrecked my ships. I lost 2 Vics including my Flagship and only managed to kill 2 Gozantis. Next up was a Rieekan 2 + 3 Aceholes list. Worst defeat so far. Lost 3 Vics including Flagship, killed nothing in return. While this test was fun I don't think 5 Vic1s is a competitive option at all. I do think there might be something there with 4 Vics and some squadrons though. Needless to say I'm retiring the Pentavics. Up next will be the triple Interdictor fleet. It's been in the works for a while now time to give it some serious play time.

20 hours ago, Democratus said:

Thanks for taking the pain of testing that list. It's a grand idea even if the execution is less than optimal.

I've run triple Interdictor about half a dozen times now. It's fun as heck, but I wouldn't call it tournament competitive. :)

I really am just looking for something fun. I played the same list over and over for months in preparation for my first regional and now I'm wanting something simple and enjoyable until my next regional in March.

3 hours ago, Megatronrex said:

I really am just looking for something fun. I played the same list over and over for months in preparation for my first regional and now I'm wanting something simple and enjoyable until my next regional in March.

Give the “Vader’s Vic’s” list I posted a few weeks ago a spin- it’s super fun and you get to throw a lot of dice!

13 minutes ago, MandalorianMoose said:

Give the “Vader’s Vic’s” list I posted a few weeks ago a spin- it’s super fun and you get to throw a lot of dice!

This one?

Vader Vic’s  (399/400)

Empire

Commander: Darth Vader

Objectives: Most Wanted, Solar Corona, Contested Outpost

[flagship] Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54)

- Darth Vader (36)

- Slaved Turrets (6)

= 96 total points

Victory II-class Star Destroyer (85)

- Disposable Capacitors (3)

- Quad Battery Turrets (5)

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 100 total points

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 100 total points

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23)

- Comms Net (2)

= 25 total points

- Comms Net (2)

= 25 total points

Squadrons (53/134):

1x Valen Rudor TIE Fighter Squadron (13)

5x Tie Fighter Squadron (40)

It does look fun. I do tend to avoid taking Vader and Arqs largely due to my curse of rerolling red blanks into more red blanks.

4 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

This one?

Vader Vic’s  (399/400)

Empire

Commander: Darth Vader

Objectives: Most Wanted, Solar Corona, Contested Outpost

[flagship] Arquitens-class Light Cruiser (54)

- Darth Vader (36)

- Slaved Turrets (6)

= 96 total points

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 100 total points

- Gunnery Team (7)

= 100 total points

- Comms Net (2)

= 25 total points

- Comms Net (2)

= 25 total points

Squadrons (53/134):

1x Valen Rudor TIE Fighter Squadron (13)

5x Tie Fighter Squadron (40)

It does look fun. I do tend to avoid taking Vader and Arqs largely due to my curse of rerolling red blanks into more red blanks.

Yes this one (though I think I changed the squads to 2 Interceptors and 4 tie fighters)

It is a lot of fun lumbering forward behind a wall of dice. I usually deploy the Vic’s/gozers facing forward with Vader’s Arq deployed sideways on a path to get behind the Vic’s. With a Nav token just slow roll forward and Spam CF. Maybe using the Arq for clean up damage instead of initial damage (let the Vic’s take care of that) will give you some better luck?

Hmmm.... I think if the game lasted longer (like maybe 9-10 turns) then attrition builds based around multiple interdictors could be pretty strong.  But as is there's just not enough time for them to actually kill anything and so it'd be really hard to secure points with them.

Definitely fun though.  As is though I can't justify buying more of them!

9 minutes ago, duck_bird said:

Hmmm.... I think if the game lasted longer (like maybe 9-10 turns) then attrition builds based around multiple interdictors could be pretty strong.  But as is there's just not enough time for them to actually kill anything and so it'd be really hard to secure points with them.

Definitely fun though.  As is though I can't justify buying more of them!

I dispute the assertion.

Look at ways of increasing your damage output then.

...a double arcing Interdictor with Ion Cannon Batteries does more damage than an ISDs front arc.

Get them in quick, be aggressive.

Nose Punch works for that reason .

VVVVZZ Thrawn - 4 Vics - s2 b8 

Faction: Galactic Empire    

Commander: Grand Admiral Thrawn

Assault Objective: Most Wanted    
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost    
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona    

[ flagship ] Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
-  Grand Admiral Thrawn     ( 32     points) 
-  Skilled First Officer     ( 1     points) 
= 106 total ship cost

Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
= 74 total ship cost

= 74 total ship cost

= 74 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Comms Net     ( 2     points) 
= 25 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
= 23 total ship cost

2    TIE Fighter Squadrons ( 16 points) 
Card view link

Fleet

Actually, should add Agent Kallus to one of them. 

6 ships. A lot of activation. Thrawn power. 

Edited by Blail Blerg

6 hours ago, Ginkapo said:

@Dr alex they are discussing wierd stuff

Oh yes, this is my sort of discussion, quint Vics became boring so you are looking at triple Interdictors? 

I’ve run triple interdictors and it is boring as **** to play and doesn’t work, don’t do it. Is my straight up honest advice. 

That said, you need to make your interdictors as punchy as you can to compensate for the way they are not at all punchy. I played them pre-disposable capacitors, which I now think is an auto include on an Interdictor as it gives you threat. It also completely kills off the combat refit as it is just so much worse than the suppression with Dcaps. 

Vader is a good admiral choice as it lets you use your frankly awful defence tokens for some dice modification, which you can’t afford to use leading shots for as you have no dice to start with.

engine techs make the interdictors into mobile ships, akin to a tanky toothless GSD, as opposed to their normal setting which is as a tanky toothless VSD.

FCT on one ship though with some shuttles for token mining is good, not sure how you win as player one though. You could try something like this:

Vader’s triple interdictors 

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Darth Vader

Assault Objective: Close-Range Intel Scan
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Sensor Net

Interdictor-class Suppression Refit (90 points)
-  Fighter Coordination Team  ( 3  points) 
-  Disposable Capacitors  ( 3  points) 
-  G7-X Grav Well Projector  ( 2  points) 
98 total ship cost

[ flagship ] Interdictor-class Suppression Refit (90 points)
-  Darth Vader  ( 36  points) 
-  Interdictor  ( 3  points) 
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points) 
-  G7-X Grav Well Projector  ( 2  points) 
-  Targeting Scrambler  ( 5  points) 
147 total ship cost

Interdictor-class Suppression Refit (90 points)
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points) 
-  Grav Shift Reroute  ( 2  points) 
-  Targeting Scrambler  ( 5  points) 
108 total ship cost

2 Lambda-class Shuttles ( 30 points) 
1 Valen Rudor ( 13 points)

However you are always going to be better off dropping one interdictor for an ISD

Edited by Dr alex

16 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Would this be better as 4 vics 1 gozanti + some upgrades and like 2-4 Ties? 

I think Thrawn would be best for this fleet. Want repairs? Want Engin? 

That or Tarkin, crazy enough. 

I think there's a possibility of a great build based around 4 Vics. I just don't know what that is. I've had moderate success running 3 Vic2s with light squad support but Vic1s are too d*** slow to get much if any use out of those black dice against a decent opponent.

So I said I was going to retire the PentaVics but I lied. I played 3 more games with them over the last few days. The first was against a Rieekan aceholes list with Yavaris a MC80 Command Cruiser and 2 GR75s. I lost 2 Vics but won the game by killing the pickle, Yavaris and 1 transport. Next game was against a Vader ISD, 2 Arqs, and a Gozanti. Again I lost 2 Vics and killed nothing but I came so d*** close to killing that ISD. I think with better deployment that game would have gone my way. Third game was again against Rieekan Gallant Haven, Yavaris, CR90, GR75 aceholes and thanks to some huge mistakes by my opponent I only lost 1 Vic and wrecked all of his ships. I need to spend a few hours just setting up and practicing different deployment formations to get the best out of this list. It generally speaking doesn't win by much but it also never loses by much and I'm pretty d*** sure it's impossible to get tabled with this fleet. Most games I have found that 1 of my Vics rarely gets a shot so I think 4 Vics would be a better option. Maybe 3 Vic2s with GT and DCaps and 1 with ER and OE operating as Flagship and sweeper.

I've played 3 vic2's with GT Dcaps and LS and 2 gozantis with 4x tie fighters and it was a lot of fun. With 3 they have a hard time chewing through the hull, and with moffy J he made it so I could get multiple rounds of shooting out of each. Definitely been having a lot of fun with vics lately too.

3 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

But aren’t you learning a bunch about deployment and maneuver? ?

Thats the best part of the list - what it teaches you. You’ll find your whole game improved.

I'm definitely learning a s*** ton about deployment. I have to say I've been proud of my maneuvering though. My only collisions so far have been intentional.

4 hours ago, Dameon13 said:

As the initial guinea pig on the receiving end of this little experiment and irregular local opponent, I feel it is my duty to put you on notice that I currently now have 4 Vics in my possession...

Thanks to getting 2 more for Christmas I now have 6. If our CC was starting at 400 points instead of 300 I would so be running 5 Vics.