Megatronrex

The PentaVic Alignment

So tomorrow I'm finally gonna get to try out the 5 Vic1 list that @Drasnightasuggested.

PentaVic Alignment
Author: Megatronrex

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Motti

Assault Objective: Opening Salvo
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[ flagship ] Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
-  Admiral Motti  ( 24  points)
-  Skilled First Officer  ( 1  points)
= 98 total ship cost

Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
= 74 total ship cost

-  External Racks  ( 3  points)
= 76 total ship cost

= 76 total ship cost

= 76 total ship cost

The 5 Vic1s and Motti leave me with eleven points for upgrades. Is this the best use for those eleven points?

36 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

So tomorrow I'm finally gonna get to try out the 5 Vic1 list that @Drasnightasuggested.

PentaVic Alignment
Author: Megatronrex

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Motti

Assault Objective: Opening Salvo
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Solar Corona

[ flagship ] Victory I-Class Star Destroyer (73 points)
-  Admiral Motti  ( 24  points)
= 98 total ship cost

= 74 total ship cost

= 76 total ship cost

= 76 total ship cost

= 76 total ship cost

The 5 Vic1s and Motti leave me with eleven points for upgrades. Is this the best use for those eleven points?

In this day and age, probably :)

(more thoughts to come as I get ‘home’)

4 minutes ago, Democratus said:

The title of this tread sounds like the title of a Ken Follett book. :) 

I'd never heard of him. Are his books any good? The name comes from the Pentastar Alignment. In the EU it was 14 outer rim sectors under the control of Imperials after the death of Palpatine.

Just now, Megatronrex said:

I'd never heard of him. Are his books any good? The name comes from the Pentastar Alignment. In the EU it was 14 outer rim sectors under the control of Imperials after the death of Palpatine.

He was an author of cold war thrillers, mostly, which were above average.

But then he wrote The Pillars of the Earth, which is an amazing novel set in the late middle ages.

15 minutes ago, Ginkapo said:

Your two wide flankers need to run nav hard. The next two need to be flexible, whilst the middle guy has it easy.

So put SFO on an ER ship. Put the naked ships on the two flanks. 

That does make more sense thanks.

1 minute ago, The Jabbawookie said:

This looks really fun to fly. Have you thought about hyperspace assault? It might not score as many points directly, but having an ER Vic ready to pop out at the right moment gives you a lot more area control and unpredictability...

I've thought about it. I went with Contested Outpost because I feel it gives me a very good chance of scoring 120pts and makes my opponent come at me right where I want them to. I've been running into a lot of VCXs lately and don't want to have my deployment tokens thrown so far out that a Vic1 won't be useful later. I expect I'll be playing a lot of Solar Corona honestly. I am tempted to go with Blockade Run for my red even though I can't possibly score any objective points from it. Deploying like that and lumbering forward with a wall of firepower in front of me just seems so fun.

12 hours ago, Megatronrex said:

I think it should be called crimson command since it was a fleet of vics.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Crimson_Command

6 hours ago, MandalorianMoose said:

I feel weird even suggesting this but... Konstantine?

With 5 Vic’s you could cover pretty much the entire engagement area with his effect... Move enemies into close range of your front arcs, or at the very least force them to Spam Nav commands, preventing CF/squadron

And I feel weird saying this Konstantine is not a bad suggestion. If he could drop ships to zero then he'd be the man for sure but even with 5 mediums I'm not entirely sold on him. I might try him out after Motti. I also just really want to see someone try to chew through 50 hull. On that note though, and I might want to summon @Drasnighta for this, what happens if I deplete my entire damage deck and still have ships left on the board. It's actually possible for it to come up with this list especially against a Dodonna fleet.

18 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

And I feel weird saying this Konstantine is not a bad suggestion. If he could drop ships to zero then he'd be the man for sure but even with 5 mediums I'm not entirely sold on him. I might try him out after Motti. I also just really want to see someone try to chew through 50 hull. On that note though, and I might want to summon @Drasnighta for this, what happens if I deplete my entire damage deck and still have ships left on the board. It's actually possible for it to come up with this list especially against a Dodonna fleet.

You reshuffle your discards and make a new deck with them.

which you will have, with Dodonna as your enemy.

Edited by Drasnighta

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

You reshuffle your discards and make a new deck with them.

which you will have, with Dodonna as your enemy.

That's what I thought but I was kinda hoping you'd say there was no rule for it so I could claim to have an unkillable fleet. I was hoping to have a cheesy mechanic to exploit.;)

Just now, Megatronrex said:

That's what I thought but I was kinda hoping you'd say there was no rule for it so I could claim to have an unkillable fleet. I was hoping to have a cheesy mechanic to exploit.;)

The only time I’ve actually done it, wasn’t with Motti. It was with Tarkin and nothing but Eng commands freebie eng tokens and defense liaisons to switch to nav when needed.

5 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

The only time I’ve actually done it, wasn’t with Motti. It was with Tarkin and nothing but Eng commands freebie eng tokens and defense liaisons to switch to nav when needed.

It really is surprising how many options you still have after putting 5 Vic1s into the list.

So I won but just barely by 28 points. I faced a Rebel bomber fleet with a Pelta, Yavaris, Jaina's Light, and a GR75. His squads were Norra, Wedge, Dutch, Jan, Corran, 2 X-Wings, and 1 E-Wing. He of course had me outbid and opted for second. Like an idiot I chose Fighter Ambush (I completely forgot you score points for damage cards) hoping he'd deploy outside of his activation range and let me start hitting him with flak on round one. That didn't happen. I did manage to kill Yavaris before it got to pull any double tapping shenanigans. The rest of the game was basically me taking a bunch of flak shots while his bombers and Pelta worked over one of my Vics that finally died to a shot from Jaina's Light. Near the end of the game my flak finally started to pay off and I dropped most of his fighters, all but an X-Wing and an E-Wing I think. Despite my mistakes my overall impression of the fleet was positive though. I don't think it's tournament viable yet, at least not in my hands anyway, but I want to run it in a campaign. All 3 of my External Racks were used against squadrons for what amounted to a grand total of 3 extra damage. I never used my Skilled First Officers. I'm considering dropping all of my upgrades for an eleven point bid. This is definitely a fleet that wants to go second. I'll get to give it another test tomorrow and I think I'll try it with a bid for second and see how it goes playing to my objectives.

I was the punching bag for this. I hadn't seen this thread before so had no idea what was coming. I'm normally a Imperial player but just wanted to play with some Rebel models I rarely use so I put together a list that ended up having to many "moving parts" (lots of different rules to remember) for me to use effectively. I could have played my list  lot better, but was unfamiliar with everything so it was definitely a learning experience. I was expecting to face a more rounded or squadron heavy build, not a squadron-less list!

Aside from not getting the Yavaris out in time, I mostly flew circles (literally) around the Vics. Megatronrex kept his Vics together which limited their ability to maneuver even further, but allowed him mass flak against my squadrons. Unless an opponent recklessly flies into the teeth of all those Vics, I don't think this fleet will "win big" very often.

5 hours ago, Dameon13 said:

I was the punching bag for this. I hadn't seen this thread before so had no idea what was coming. I'm normally a Imperial player but just wanted to play with some Rebel models I rarely use so I put together a list that ended up having to many "moving parts" (lots of different rules to remember) for me to use effectively. I could have played my list  lot better, but was unfamiliar with everything so it was definitely a learning experience. I was expecting to face a more rounded or squadron heavy build, not a squadron-less list!

Aside from not getting the Yavaris out in time, I mostly flew circles (literally) around the Vics. Megatronrex kept his Vics together which limited their ability to maneuver even further, but allowed him mass flak against my squadrons. Unless an opponent recklessly flies into the teeth of all those Vics, I don't think this fleet will "win big" very often.

I wouldn't call you a punching bag. I only managed a 28pt win. There are definitely a lot of moving parts to keep track of in your list. Your ships definitely outflew mine, that's to be expected when running Vics with no Jerry. My ships were actually much more spread out than they usually are. For example my flankers were both too far out from my other ships allowing one (Man-O-War) to be isolated and killed and making the other flanker (Swampass) largely useless. I think it only took one long range side arc shot on a CR-90. I didn't really feel like a lack of maneuverability was the issue so much as the lack of speed for how spread out my deployment was. None of my Vics ever collided with each other and only one of them (Deathsaurus) hit a rock. In fact the need to deploy much closer together is one of the lessons I took from this. That and going second, God knows this fleet needs second.

18 minutes ago, Dr alex said:

Is JJ not a better option for this work of art? Yes Motti is adding 10 Hull per game, but JJ can add 10 yaw a turn...

At the cost of precious shields that you generally need every one of due to universal lack of defensive retrofits and measures.

... at least, in my experience.

24 minutes ago, Dr alex said:

Is JJ not a better option for this work of art? Yes Motti is adding 10 Hull per game, but JJ can add 10 yaw a turn...

Motti adds 10 hull and the Vic spams nav. How often do you need double yaw?

Or

Jj adds double yaw and the Vic spams eng. Which after repairing shield leaves 2 eng points. 

Which is better? Debatable.