Skullfett

Pryce tactics

Very interesting. So I think there will be a learning period with Pryce.

Stage 1: Pryce surprises opponents and she works great. Many people get "Last-first"-ed and crushed by righteous ISD anger. Calls for the great nerfing commence.

Stage 2: Opponents of Pryce recognize her as a threat, taking precautions to mitigate or eliminate the effect of being "Last-first"-ed on the chosen turn. Suggestions abound on the forums that Pryce is far too expensive and easily dealt with. Imperial grumbling reaches a fever pitch.

Stage 3: Pryce Purveyors use her ability indirectly to shape the battlefield due to opponents being at Stage 2 in their thinking. Players on both sides recognize there is a tradeoff due to Pryce's opportunity cost and points cost.

Stage 4: Peace is restored. The forums reach a state of harmony unheard of since Armada was first released. The FAQ begins to be updated on a monthly schedule. The SSD expansion is announced and delivered on time, to universal acclaim.

:) 

3 hours ago, SkyCake said:

There's got to be a rebel answer to that non?

I think that Rogues, and possibly HERA, will see a resurgence if this becomes a common thing.  Rogues can interdict this whole shenanigans.  It's still going to be nasty, but they'll at least buy you the time you need for a response.

I love (love love love) Intel Officer. 

But you know where this is about to go. 

Pryce breaks the living crap out of Devastator.

Devastator is all about laying disgusting damned-if-you-do-or-don't traps for your opponent.   The ability to guarantee last-first combos with that ship is scary on a different level than we've seen before. Hang in red range as every useful target is forced to drop into medium or close range and try to walk the balance between too many and too few attacks to get just the right amount of damage to kill it in the subsequent round. 

The more I consider the situations Pryce presents, the more I think I will never add her to a build.

Far too limiting, too hard to use, prone to being 7 useless points, and often 7 points that give my opponent a benefit instead if me.

I really hope my opponents pick this often.

7 hours ago, RobertK said:

Stage 4: Peace is restored. The forums reach a state of harmony unheard of since Armada was first released. The FAQ begins to be updated on a monthly schedule. The SSD expansion is announced and delivered on time, to universal acclaim.

This is the dream Martin Luther King should have talked about. ?

4 minutes ago, Skullfett said:

This is the dream Martin Luther King should have talked about. ?

"Doctor King, I realize this is potentially a movement- and lifetime-defining opportunity to give a speech in favor of the inherent dignity and equality of millions of people who have been victims of centuries of brutal systemic racial oppression, degradation, and exploitation, but somebody from the future wants you to make a joke about a plastic spaceships game instead."

18 hours ago, Kristjan said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you are facing a fleet with Pryce why not slow down to 0 for the first turn? This should totally throw off any Pryce timing your opponent set up.

Also Pryce "works" after deployment. She will see that coming and will choose the round accordingly. Tarkin, Ozzel, Leia and EF can help/hurt her but in the worst case all them are open info so the player could still take that in consideration. 

10 hours ago, RobertK said:

Stage 1: Pryce surprises opponents and she works great. Many people get "Last-first"-ed and crushed by righteous ISD anger. Calls for the great nerfing commence.

Stage 2: Opponents of Pryce recognize her as a threat, taking precautions to mitigate or eliminate the effect of being "Last-first"-ed on the chosen turn. Suggestions abound on the forums that Pryce is far too expensive and easily dealt with. Imperial grumbling reaches a fever pitch.

Stage 3: Pryce Purveyors use her ability indirectly to shape the battlefield due to opponents being at Stage 2 in their thinking. Players on both sides recognize there is a tradeoff due to Pryce's opportunity cost and points cost.

Stage 5: people who learnt how to deal with a last-first activation threat like Pryce start to apply the new knowledge to every last-first threats or general activation disadvantaged. Now there is not only peace. There is also universal literacy.

9 hours ago, thecactusman17 said:

I love (love love love) Intel Officer. 

But you know where this is about to go. 

Pryce breaks the living crap out of Devastator.

Devastator is all about laying disgusting damned-if-you-do-or-don't traps for your opponent.   The ability to guarantee last-first combos with that ship is scary on a different level than we've seen before. Hang in red range as every useful target is forced to drop into medium or close range and try to walk the balance between too many and too few attacks to get just the right amount of damage to kill it in the subsequent round. 

I was wondering why anyone brought this one. An ISD "trapped" cause your opponent knows it will activate last? Rage to meee!!!!

12 hours ago, Ardaedhel said:

oooOOOOOoooo.... I like it.  Might have to trot out the ol' Avenger/Devastator dual Christmas trees again one of these days...

Devastator is expensive. Plus the 7 points on price... seems like a lot of points on one ship.

Sorry, completely quoted the wrong person. ?

Edited by ISD Avenger

23 minutes ago, ISD Avenger said:

Devastator is expensive. Plus the 7 points on price... seems like a lot of points on one ship.

@thecactusman17 was thinking of replacing his Intel Officer with Governor Pryce for his Devastator build. Intel Officer is 7 points as well, so the points cost is a wash.

8 hours ago, Snipafist said:

"Doctor King, I realize this is potentially a movement- and lifetime-defining opportunity to give a speech in favor of the inherent dignity and equality of millions of people who have been victims of centuries of brutal systemic racial oppression, degradation, and exploitation, but somebody from the future wants you to make a joke about a plastic spaceships game instead."

Considering present conditions, would we be any worse off if he had?! Lol

17 hours ago, RobertK said:

You forgot the step where Bail Organa MC-75s beat Pryce.  That's going to be an important one ;)

39 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

You forgot the step where Bail Organa MC-75s beat Pryce.  That's going to be an important one ;)

I know someone (tried to) figure out what Bail would be like but were not 100% sure, or are we?

23 minutes ago, Skullfett said:

I know someone (tried to) figure out what Bail would be like but were not 100% sure, or are we?

Between the rumors flying around that Bail is the opposite of Pryce, the spoilers on Pryce, and piecing together the text visible in the Profundity spread... we're pretty sure on the wording.  The only real remaining unknown is his points cost.

Specifically, I'm going with the assumption that @ShadowKite is right: 

Edited by Ardaedhel

4 minutes ago, Skullfett said:

Anybody who says they are 100% certain on this forum is either lying, or about to be kicked off the testing team and in a whole mess of trouble.

The last rumors I heard all had to do with impacting activation order, and that the card was causing severe balance issues.  Governor Pryce gives us an activation impact that's been deemed appropriate for the game, so I imagine any effect for the Rebels will have similar drawback (discard effect, restricted to large and medium ships, etc) but do the one thing Rebels have wanted since the release of wave 1:  the ability to move their large and medium ships before Demolisher can triple tap them.

Just now, thecactusman17 said:

Anybody who says they are 100% certain on this forum is either lying, or about to be kicked off the testing team and in a whole mess of trouble.

The last rumors I heard all had to do with impacting activation order, and that the card was causing severe balance issues.  Governor Pryce gives us an activation impact that's been deemed appropriate for the game, so I imagine any effect for the Rebels will have similar drawback (discard effect, restricted to large and medium ships, etc) but do the one thing Rebels have wanted since the release of wave 1:  the ability to move their large and medium ships before Demolisher can triple tap them.