Skullfett

Pryce tactics

In this topic we will be discussing tactics for pryce.

To begin with a fleet i think would work fairly well.

A disadvantage of Pryce for example is when the enemy is close by and you have to wait to fire, at the time you can fire there is a pretty high chance the enemy is gone.

So i have decided to add an interdictor suppression refit with G-8 ep so the enemy will remain close by when your big ship will fire.

You could also add D-caps and overload pulse to it and the title interdictor. And another gw upgrade if you want to.

For the big ship i would take an ISD cymoon refit as you can add the imperial-class titles to the Chimaera and otherwise, then i would equid it with avenger, spinal armament and gun team and offcourse Pryce.

You could also add intensify firepower.

I don't know what other ships i would bring in it tho.

For commanders you could go a couple ways. Not mentioned from best to worst. just everything that came into my head.

Konstantine: you can control the speed of your enemies and help Pryce some more.

Motti: As Pryce only works with medium and large ships Motti would give a lot of hp but he wont help in any other way. Not suggested but can still help.

Thrawn: in the right turn giving everyone concentrate fire would destroy the enemy.

Screed: this list has a lot of red dice so at least 1 will be a blank, could better change this into a crit. Also almost guaranteed overload pulse.

Vader: as i mentioned before you will have a lot of blanks and the isd has 4 dt's so you could have a great time shooting.

What are your ideas and if you do not agree, just say so.

Edited by Skullfett

1 hour ago, D503 said:

I will use Pryce with Ozzel on an ISD, with 2 arquitens and a demolisher.

They are so perfect together they should get married, and have the most incompetent babies ever.

Good idea, when will they do so?

I think in a scenario where you are first player she will do nicely on a quasar commanding squads versus the 5+ activation yvaris builds... Meaning when you alpha you guarantee last first and thus escape that double tap for that first turn...  hopefully you can also knockout rieekan jan that first wave too

46 minutes ago, SkyCake said:

I think in a scenario where you are first player she will do nicely on a quasar commanding squads versus the 5+ activation yvaris builds... Meaning when you alpha you guarantee last first and thus escape that double tap for that first turn...  hopefully you can also knockout rieekan jan that first wave too

Yes, but there will always be a better officer to put on the quasar as a lot of officers are very good for squadron commands, and if you put Pryce on there you can't take the others.

Still a good idea if you can miss the others.

2 minutes ago, Kristjan said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you are facing a fleet with Pryce why not slow down to 0 for the first turn? This should totally throw off any Pryce timing your opponent set up.

Because some fleets can really capitalize on that.

in fact, mine wants you to start at 0.

you lose almost all objective initiative then,

Just now, Skullfett said:

Yes, but there will always be a better officer to put on the quasar as a lot of officers are very good for squadron commands, and if you put Pryce on there you can't take the others.

Still a good idea if you can miss the others.

That's the cost of Pryce. She consumes an Officer slot, the most hotly contested spot in the game. THAT'S her hidden cost, as putting her on an ISD means no Intel Officer, no yelling hat man, no Minister Tua. Welcome to FFG and opportunity cost.

16 minutes ago, Kristjan said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you are facing a fleet with Pryce why not slow down to 0 for the first turn? This should totally throw off any Pryce timing your opponent set up.

You choose what round you want to use Pryce after you and your opponent choose the begin-speed

If you start at 0 or 1 the opponent will know there is something fishy about it. And will choose her later. If you start at speed 2 or higher, you will bump into Pryce sooner or later.

Except if you have Leia, Leia has total control over Pryce.

Edited by Skullfett

19 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

22 minutes ago, Kristjan said:

Because some fleets can really capitalize on that.

in fact, mine wants you to start at 0.

you lose almost all objective initiative then,

If you have Pryce and 1st player, you would be playing my objectives. And if Pryce is second player, you get to activate last once, and I'm going to know when that happens, plus if you already have last activation then the whole upgrade is just a waste provided you don't lose any ships before the Pryce turn. People seem excited about this and I can see the appeal with an ISD list with first player, but maybe it's one of those things you have to play with to get it.  

We tried Pryce last night. She does have a skill floor to use. I surprised my opponent by dropping from speed 2 to 0 on my entire fleet (go go Commander Leia!) and forced Pryce to discharge uselessly. It also forced his Demolisher to move one activation earlier. It gave a QBT Scout Hammerhead and MC80C shots on it a turn earlier than they should have.

It was a JJ Goz/Goz/AvengerBT/Demo vs Leia 4xHammerhead+MC80

41 minutes ago, Church14 said:

We tried Pryce last night. She does have a skill floor to use. I surprised my opponent by dropping from speed 2 to 0 on my entire fleet (go go Commander Leia!) and forced Pryce to discharge uselessly. It also forced his Demolisher to move one activation earlier. It gave a QBT Scout Hammerhead and MC80C shots on it a turn earlier than they should have.

Like i said, Leia could totally dominate Pryce if you use her well

2 hours ago, Church14 said:

...and I presume there were no repercussions for you in how the battle went from that point. Dropping to speed 0 didn't cede the field to your opponent at all?

I mean, I get the satisfaction of being able to say, "Ha ha!" to your opponent about Pryce's ability, but it seems like most fleets care enough about positioning that they don't want to all be at speed 0...ever.

I've been working carefully on trying to make better deployment choices based on where I want to be positioned (hence my use of G7-X and Grav Shift Reroute), and I know it is a challenge to leverage deployment advantage into a positional advantage (because it's an indirect thing). So I wonder whether making a choice to give your opponent a positional advantage just to avoid Pryce's effect is really worth it. Certainly your opponent would need to put themselves in a position to exploit your choice.

5 hours ago, geek19 said:

That's the cost of Pryce. She consumes an Officer slot, the most hotly contested spot in the game. THAT'S her hidden cost, as putting her on an ISD means no Intel Officer, no yelling hat man, no Minister Tua. Welcome to FFG and opportunity cost.

IT'S A TRAP!!!

Thinking about it some more and reading some other posts I think her primary use will be last first with fighters... Either a bomber strike which could actually be quite crippling, like 15 damage crippling. Or anti fighter strike..

Dang, 15~ damage and a timing you can't really interact with. AFFM speed five bombers or speed four firesprays, with Jendon/Maarek's nearly guaranteed 4 damage, maybe mix in squall or rhymer or both for some extra range... Pop in, hit hard, hit hard, pop out... Geeeze... And Pryceing with fighters as opposed to a ship makes pulling it all off much much easier! Assuming bcc, Maarek guaranteeing 4 via Jendon, and four sprays, we're looking at (4+7.2)x2 not much can take heat like that

There's got to be a rebel answer to that non?

General leia aside though - and lets face it shes not ecactly common - any marginal benefit to using her is a good thing....

If you are trying to use speed zero thats one third of your command dials for the game you have just used to counter a 7 point upgrade.

And you are now at speed 1 at the start of turn 3 with an isd bearing down on your fleet. 

2 hours ago, RobertK said:

...and I presume there were no repercussions for you in how the battle went from that point. Dropping to speed 0 didn't cede the field to your opponent at all?

I mean, I get the satisfaction of being able to say, "Ha ha!" to your opponent about Pryce's ability, but it seems like most fleets care enough about positioning that they don't want to all be at speed 0...ever.

I've been working carefully on trying to make better deployment choices based on where I want to be positioned (hence my use of G7-X and Grav Shift Reroute), and I know it is a challenge to leverage deployment advantage into a positional advantage (because it's an indirect thing). So I wonder whether making a choice to give your opponent a positional advantage just to avoid Pryce's effect is really worth it. Certainly your opponent would need to put themselves in a position to exploit your choice.

I had to think about the match more. It felt like Pryce did nothing because she didn’t work as she is intended to for a regular ISD. I stayed out of range and Avenger activated last and got no shots. It allowed me good shots on Demolisher and that’s why it felt like a bust. Especially given that four Hammerheads then opened up on Avenger and tore it apart.

On further review: AvengerBT then was able to JJ + Navigate and get exactly where it wanted to. Pryce cleanly allowed that. Lando was what saved the MC80. Avenger still got to activate first at close range and nearly one shotted the MC80.

It felt like Pryce didn’t do enough but that impression was warped by him losing by about 160. That was more due to objectives than clever play