Sign in to follow this  
Hepitude

Thrined Speshers

Ok... I'm fairly excited for all the Uthuk units (whenever I finally get around to buying them) with the exception of the Spined Threshers. The huge tongues and old man faces just didn't mix well in my mind. I'm planning on cutting the tongues out of the claws and focusing on more of a natural/desert-esque (water preserving) Uthuk army. The other modification I was thinking about was cutting the bulbous mouth off the tails and gluing them over the Thresher's human mouth. I think this would go a long way towards making the creature look creepy and other-worldy, while eliminating some of the more ridiculous aspects of the creature. Has anyone tried this? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts as I haven't done much modification on any of the models yet.

I was thinking of doing the same thing.  On one of the claws the tongue is a separate piece so removing it is no problem, the other one is part of the sculpt and would need to be dremeled out.  I painted my first pair like the box art but doing the rest in desert scorpion themed colors.  I am not too bothered by the tail mouth, but I agree it looks a little silly.  It could be modded to look like an actual scorpion stinger, and I may give that a shot.   What bothers me the most is how much cooler the concept art is in the article.  I would have been much happier with the wispier, serpentine tongues than what we got.  I also wish the the big back spines were there too.  Still a cool unit though.

I just gave mine mountain goat horns -_- but I have to say I am inclined to add some lovecraftian features like random eyes all over the body.

Or I could just use the Dunwich Horror from Mansions :D

Edited by Polda

6 hours ago, Polda said:

I just gave mine mountain goat horns -_- but I have to say I am inclined to add some lovecraftian features like random eyes all over the body.

Or I could just use the Dunwich Horror from Mansions :D

I saw your horn additions, it's what started me thinking about modifications because they improved the model so much.

I'm honestly considering removing the head and the tail then maybe putting some eyes on the stomach... 

4 hours ago, Tvayumat said:

My pair have both received mouth tendrils. It improves their look by a fair amount.

Also they look like Zoidberg, so I've got that going for me.

Might as well use a head from one of these? :D

untQMKA.jpg

Edited by Polda

I get that people don't like the Spined Threshers head but, let me tell you, there's something way worse about their sculpt that's less obvious until you play a few games with them frontlining your berserkers...

UkfaGQ6l.jpg?1TocBtWDl.jpg?1

They seriously can't square up properly against occupied trays. They have to hover like 1/4"-1/2" away from the unit they're engaging.

Consider cutting the foot pegs and mounting your Thresher farther back on their tray when you get them. I wish I had done this prior to assembly/painting.

Edited by Tvayumat

59 minutes ago, Tvayumat said:

I get that people don't like the Spined Threshers head but, let me tell you, there's something way worse about their sculpt that's less obvious until you play a few games with them frontlining your berserkers...

UkfaGQ6l.jpg?1TocBtWDl.jpg?1

They seriously can't square up properly against occupied trays. They have to hover like 1/4"-1/2" away from the unit they're engaging.

Consider cutting the foot pegs and mounting your Thresher farther back on their tray when you get them. I wish I had done this prior to assembly/painting.

Golems are bad for that in formations as well, arms bump a bit, worse when you repose them so I started shifting, build platforms, etc.  Those appear the worst yet though, easy.

On 12/13/2017 at 7:12 PM, syrath said:

Even worse imagine a support in the rear rank(s), youd have to turn it backwards to fit in the unit 

Support Heavy unit upgrades don't go in the back rank with the sole exception of Support Aymhelin Scion where it's specified on the upgrade card.

Where this problem is really dumb is any 2 rank Worm unit. One of the model variants has its mandibles scraping the back of the worm in front of it.

Edited by Polda

3 hours ago, Polda said:

Support Heavy unit upgrades don't go in the back rank with the sole exception of Support Aymhelin Scion where it's specified on the upgrade card.

Where this problem is really dumb is any 2 rank Worm unit. One of the model variants has its mandibles scraping the back of the worm in front of it.

Admit it... wouldn't you be at least a little disappointed if the worms played nicely with each other? :)

48 minutes ago, Hepitude said:

Admit it... wouldn't you be at least a little disappointed if the worms played nicely with each other? :)

One of mine is swallowing a man alive. What's this about playing nice? :D I would appreciate an even split of the poses, not 2 of the new one and 4 of the core one.