Sign in to follow this  
TextOfCthulhu

Quest 104 "The Mothership" Question

How do the caps work on this quest?  On option 1 it says if you fail "Remove a Cap from this card" yet it never said to put any caps on the card for option 1 and what is the point of removing a cap anyway?  If you fail the I4 roll do you need to do another combat when you try again?  On option 2 is says "If you succeed, place a cap on this card".  Does the cap come from the player or the bank?  Then without any context it says "Place the third Cap on this card".  Then what?  What happens to the Caps after the quest is complete? 

How I have interpreted this (but have no idea if this is correct) is:  For option 1 if you fail the combat you must fight the same enemy again the next quest encounter or if you die you "fail" the quest and go to the starting hex.  If you fail the I4 roll you pay a cap to the bank (if you have one) and must try the I4 roll again next quest encounter.  For option 2 you have to make one C3 roll for each quest encounter you do and if you succeed you MUST pay one cap.  After three successful quest encounters and three caps spent the player succeeds at option 2 and the three caps go to the bank.  The player does a max of 2 quest encounters per turn so it takes a minimum 2 turns to complete option 2 and the player MUST spend three caps to complete ie if the player has less than 3 caps he has to complete option 1.

After thinking about this for a while it is possible that the "Remove a Cap from this card" is actually meant for option 2 (its obvious they botched the copy on this card no matter what).  This would imply that if you fail a C3 roll you remove a cap from the card (back to the player or lost to the bank?) and the player can't finish option 2 until 3 caps are on the card.  This also means no caps are lost for option 1, just hits (and possibly death) from the combat and lost turns from failing the I4 roll. 

Fantasy Flight any clarification????

Edited by TextOfCthulhu

On 1/9/2018 at 7:29 PM, Daigotsu Bakunin said:

The caps are just for keeping track of successes. If you try to negotiate and succeed, you put a cap fron the bank on it, and get the option 2 reward if there are three caps on it.

If you fight the aliens and fail, you remove a cap if there is one. Punching aliens does not help the negotiations!

This is correct. (Though, I think the cap you place has to come from your own inventory?? Not really clear.)

They could have put the negotiate option first to make it a bit clearer, but every time you successfully negotiate, you place a cap on the card, and the third cap frees you. Or you can fight, which might free you or might remove one of the previously placed negotiation caps. Either way you're trapped on the mothership until you escape (multiple people could be on there helping or hindering each other, too - there are a few ways to get abducted I think). Definitely a weird one that requires very careful analyzing of the wording and formatting.

On 1/10/2018 at 11:36 PM, MythicalMothman said:

This is correct. (Though, I think the cap you place has to come from your own inventory?? Not really clear.)

They could have put the negotiate option first to make it a bit clearer, but every time you successfully negotiate, you place a cap on the card, and the third cap frees you. Or you can fight, which might free you or might remove one of the previously placed negotiation caps. Either way you're trapped on the mothership until you escape (multiple people could be on there helping or hindering each other, too - there are a few ways to get abducted I think). Definitely a weird one that requires very careful analyzing of the wording and formatting.

The formatting is very weird, but I do not think you have to put caps from your own inventory.  As it's just a counter, and it's something another player can fight you for and remove caps, I'd argue strongly that you're just supposed to take caps from the supply.

Granted there are different designers involved, but there are other FF games that use tokens as counters on cards when that isn't their original purpose. Arkham/Eldritch Horror does this same thing.

Chalk it up to familiarity with them, but I didn't have any issue with how this card worked.

what I'm actually confused about is this

how is it possible that multiple survivors end up on the mothership?

because as soon as one survivor completes "i'm not saying it was aliens..."

that quest card gets trashed, then that player (and only that player) gets abducted.

how would another player get themself abducted if the quest is now trashed?

as for the quest itself.

(I use capital letters for emphasis, not anger)

I'm 99% sure the intent was this.

in option 2, you take a quest action to make a C3 check.

if you succeed, you take a cap FROM THE BANK to keep track of the progress

it's just to keep track and then when you get 3 "successes", they let you go.

it is not literally caps. you are not "paying off" the aliems.

you are talking to them, trying to persuade them to let you go. 

why would they want your money? the caps are worthless to them, they were worthless to prewar society. the aliems are only interested in one thing, they want more Giddyup Buttercup toys, for some reason...

you gotta use logic when stuff like this comes up

Edited by eviltwin61878