TragicTheBlathering

To the MOD - Digital version.. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?!!!! Please do the REAL rules!!!

20 hours ago, Gandalf196 said:

I'd like to add that allowing players to "import" their physical expansions/packs would definitely be the correct move. Buying something you already have seems absurd to me.

this is what everyone was wanting with that new D&D Beyond, but they said "nope, two different products"

21 hours ago, TragicTheBlathering said:

So after years and years of waiting for a digital game... WHY TH

I mean what are you thinking? Why are you doing this..

Why go to all this trouble and not actually give us the game we love to play?

Because I already have the game in digital format covered by OCTGN.

The real question is: why would people pay for something they already havefor free? 

They need to create something different because they know most people wouldn't pay for a refined digital version of OCTGN. 

Man. What a post. We have the card game. We have OCTGN, which is a chore to play imo, which isn't OCTGN's fault, it's the fault of trying to make an app for a game that just isn't conducive to being an app.

I'm glad they're changing it. I'll play this with an out-of-town friend who has never played the physical game, and be thankful that we don't have to tackle all the gray areas and management over an app. It would just be clunky imo.

37 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Because I already have the game in digital format covered by OCTGN.

The real question is: why would people pay for something they already havefor free? 

They need to create something different because they know most people wouldn't pay for a refined digital version of OCTGN. 

It is an entirely different game. The favor of the lady in the digital game will probably be completely different from the physical version.

1 hour ago, wolframius said:

It is an entirely different game. The favor of the lady in the digital game will probably be completely different from the physical version.

I know it is an entirely different game, that was exactly my point: if they were the same, they'd probably need to shut down LOTR under OCTGN in order to sell this, which could be perceived negatively by some players.

Edited by Freeman

On 12/9/2017 at 4:34 PM, Gandalf196 said:

2 things: first, obviously I did not mean that I'm paying for the same thing. The product is evidently different, no question about it, but it seems reasonable to me that FFG, let's say, at least facilitate the acquisiton to their faithful costumers. Second point: certanily they are aiming for a larger audience, so giving a discount or even giving some packs for free, as you say, to those who already own the physical copies certainly would'nt ruin their business.

It's an interesting thought, but how would they verify that someone owns the physical copy?  The easiest way to do this would be to have unique codes inside each pack to register, but that's impossible with packs that have already been purchased.  Something like cutting out and sending in a proof-of-purchase could work, but besides the logistics of it, you'd also upset a good many players who haven't saved all their packaging over the years.

I like the idea of giving discounts to existing players, but I'm just not sure how feasible it is.

On 12/9/2017 at 3:22 PM, TragicTheBlathering said:

That is just BS.. stop making excuses. i develop computer games for a living and I know exactly what is up. This is a cash grab.

Interesting opinion.  One could also take the view that simply taking the cards they already have and translating them directly to an app with no changes was a "cash grab".  One could probably come up with a reasonable argument for any product a company puts out being a "cash grab".  It seems to me that most people just throw out the term "cash grab" as a general insult whenever a company does something they don't like, regardless of what the company's actual motivation was.

(And yes, companies are out to make money.  This doesn't mean that they're not also trying to genuinely appeal to consumers, too.)

8 hours ago, Hannibal_pjv said:

Very unlikely. I have newer seen that happens. Different company is making this game, so they will gather as much money as they can with it...

That is why it has store in it.

The interesting part is how they make it. Those one time use card that you have to buy, sounds a lot like play to win...

Another card game did try this (Pathfinder adventures). It is also coup and because it is coup, nobody was willing to pay for having extra boost, because you was gaming against a system, not against another person, who had better deck that you have... So no need to put money to upgrades. They did swing from free to play, to normal buy the game and play, because they have to...

So either this games forces you to buy content so that you can make progress. (Pay to win) or other vice make money, so it is interesting to how they are planning to get money. Normal competative "I have also get better cards" does not work in coop environment. So they have to invent other means to make money. 

Personally, I'd hope for something much like the current LCG system, where you'd pay up-front for a new series of adventures, which would also include new cards for you to use.  If there are one-time-use cards, I hope they're:

1) Useful, but not required

2) Available for purchase with in-game currency that can be gained at a slow pace just through playing (or quicker if you want to actually pay for it).

Overall, I'm cautiously excited about this new app, especially if they keep up the storytelling and lore-referencing.

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

It's an interesting thought, but how would they verify that someone owns the physical copy?  The easiest way to do this would be to have unique codes inside each pack to register, but that's impossible with packs that have already been purchased.  Something like cutting out and sending in a proof-of-purchase could work, but besides the logistics of it, you'd also upset a good many players who haven't saved all their packaging over the years.

I like the idea of giving discounts to existing players, but I'm just not sure how feasible it is.

Every expansion/pack I've bought comes with a proof of purchase certificate, either as a separate piece of card paper or printed on the back of the manuals. I had this in mind when I advanced my argument, thank you for considering it.

On 9-12-2017 at 9:12 PM, TragicTheBlathering said:

Why go to all this trouble and not actually give us the game we love to play?

Because you already have the game you love to play, right?

Why make an identical digital and physical game? Why would you buy one if you already had the other? Having another game in the same setting seems like a good thing to me.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 0:57 PM, En9a9e said:

For those of you here who haven't and for the sake of a more properly informed argument , I'd advise watching the FFI twitch stream archive before posting.

What's the Twitch channel name?