power500500

Digital Card Game Announced!

2 hours ago, Bunston said:

I don't see the gameplay video on either their Twitch our Youtube. Did they mention where they would upload it during the stream?

You can generally rewatch previous Twitch streams on the site itself. twitch.tv/ffigames

I realize I'm new here, but (unless I missed it) since there is no official FFG or FFI forum for this game, come on over and join in the official steam forum guys. It's kinda lonely and I'm excited for this game! ;) I think an official discord server would help a lot, as well, to get this first Fantasy Flight digital game off the ground. See what I did there? :P Luke (FFI CM) wondered if enough of the community would be interested in a server during the latest twitch stream. Speaking for myself, I say, "Do Hobbits like their ale?". What say ye folks?

Btw, latest twitch steam with a taste of live play and small Q&A was great. There is going to be another gathering at the twitch party tree on Thursday. 

Edited by En9a9e

Here's my post from reddit.

Yeah I saw all of it. There were around 100 viewers which is a bit disappointing considering the existing community. But then again many could be at work depending their timezone. 

The game looks ok at the moment. The UI and the card designs are far from finished. The community manager mentioned that this is a pre-alpha phase of the game and that things should look better upon release. FFG is known for its excellent production value in its boardgames. I hope FFI follows. Because at the moment the card desings are so ugly. The Hearthstone format, although it works, is kinda off with the LOTR LCG mechanics. The fonts on the cards (explaining the rules are also ugly). But again, he said that these things are subject to change. The mouse-pointer while he played was standard windows arrow head, which stood out to me. Other games I played like Gwent and Hearthstone usually change it to something that fits the lore. 

Anyway, he played a bit (for about 15 mins). The visuals again are meh. The good thing is that every character has voice lines. Not all the phases were there but the game felt very similar to the cardboard version. 

He showed the main menu but he didn't click anything other than play. The menu and its UI is also very raw and unappealing to the eye at the moment. He said that he didn't want to go to the deckbuilder because there are cards that they don't want to reveal yet. He also talked about the favor cards. These cards will be something like "draw two cards for 0 resources" for example. 

He said that he will stream every Tuesday and Thursday at 1pm CST revealing more features. And apparently the game goes to Early Access on Steam (only single player for the moment) at 2018 Q1. 

EDIT: I should add that this stream was not recorded on twitch but they twitted that the following ones will be.

Edited by Muco

14 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

1 pm during the week = most people working and unable to watch.  Oh well.  And is steam a free program?

Steam is free but he is only a plateform to access to games. Most games on steam are not free, but this one seem to be free. But you probably have to buy cards either with in-game money (earning doing what the game ask you to do) or with real money. This is an economic model named free to play (free but you may pay to avoid to spend times at doing things or to have bonus).

Edited by Rouxxor

I'm probably not the right person to ask for impressions of the stream, as I was too busy frantically trying to type out a play-by-play for Discord. But in this short interregnum before the next stream, since people seem to be hungry for more info and the vid is apparently lost to the ether, here is what I said on Discord. While I was doing my best, the following should not be considered cold, hard fact as to what happened; indeed, I wonder whether it is even prudent for me to post this, but here it is regardless.

(Lightly edited for spelling and a couple of factual mistakes.)

sappidus: 'Today's stream is going to be just a basic overview of the game.'
sappidus: He's Luke, the community manager at FFI.
sappidus: talking about the niceness of the LCG model

sappidus: Main menu now on-screen.
sappidus: cute little pop-out animations in the menu interface
sappidus: 'You can spend real-world money on most things… or Valor. You can definitely make your way through the whole free-to-play game without spending any money.'

sappidus: diving into a game now
sappidus: map a la the Fellowship playmat art, but printed on a scroll
sappidus: Quests are "episodes" within a campaign.
sappidus: 1st campaign: Adventures in Wilderland
sappidus: 1st quest: Passage Through Mirkwood
sappidus: Voiceover is the Cate Blanchett-alike from the trailer.
sappidus: 'I'm sure this is going to be incredibly familar to anyone who has played the card game.'

sappidus: Blade of Gondolin: +1 :attack:
sappidus: Imladris Caregiver: Arrives: Heal 1 dmg from a character. (I think)
sappidus: Arwen hero's art is the objective ally's. Yeeeaaahhh.
sappidus: Enemies and objectives in single Sauron row.
sappidus: He attached the Blade to Gimli.
sappidus: A little gold icon popped up above his head.
sappidus: Sentinel being depicted by a green glow.
sappidus: Cards still have traits.
sappidus: Vigilant keyword: don't exhaust after 1st attack.
sappidus: 'Everything is pre-alpha' caveat
sappidus: Aragorn: Super Power: Spend 1 resource to ready Aragorn.
sappidus: super power = once per round
sappidus: Arwen: Upkeep: Heal 1 damage.
sappidus: Gimli: some crazy stuff lol
sappidus: Advance Warning: Exhaust the next enemey that enters play.
sappidus: Watchful Eyes objective has Threatening: increases threat 1 per round while it's in play
sappidus: Self-Preservation: heals 1 dmg/upkeep
sappidus: Galadhon Archer: Arrival: deals 1 dmg to an enemy in play
sappidus: One of the enemies got an enemy attachment
sappidus: So questing is like attacking objectives with willpower.
sappidus: It's all interleaved in the adventuring phase.
sappidus: Feint: Reduce a non-unique enemy's :attack: to 0 until the end of the phase.
sappidus: Exhausted characters turn B&W.
sappidus: He finished the last objective, so the quest moves onto the next location automatically.

sappidus: Another voiceover 'cutscene'.
sappidus: lol, the "hero caught in a web" picture is really pretty graphic
sappidus: Sneak Attack time…
sappidus: didn't catch what exactly happened, lol
sappidus: Have to attack webbed Arwen to free her.
sappidus: Seems like enemies still in 'staging' if you complete all objectives will negatively impact your threat as you move on.
sappidus: There's a start of round card draw.
sappidus: Ithilien Lookout exhausts an enemy on arriving.
sappidus: Ending the quest now.

sappidus: PC/Mac are the only announced platforms, but definitely looking around.
sappidus: 'making things more digestible but still really challenging'

sappidus: Favor cards: 'to make sure the difficulty of the game stayed intact while still making the game accessible for new players'
sappidus: Most of the time you'll be earning them (as opposed to buying them, unless you want to.)
sappidus: Most of the time, you should be able finish a quest without using any favor cards.
sappidus: (subject to feedback during development)

sappidus: 'We're hearing the request for 3/4 player'

sappidus: 'I can't discuss pricing. We're still deciding on basic amounts.'
sappidus: Founders' Packs will be at 3 tiers of pricing, though.

sappidus: 'Put it on your Steam wishlist to get updates.'
sappidus: 'Expect Q1 2018 for early access'

sappidus: 'There might be tie-ins for the physical game in the future' but just for cosmetics, it sounds like.
sappidus: 'This is NOT the heralding of the end of the physical game'
sappidus: 'We want [digital players] to understand that there's a whole other world out there, a whole different level of complexity.'
sappidus: (referring to the LCG)

sappidus: 'We're definitely looking at other FFG games to see how campaign structures can be successful.'

sappidus: begging for early-access to get more feedback, ha
sappidus: sounds like they're serious about engaging the community
sappidus: in a more official capacity than FFG historically has been

sappidus: might do alt-arts at some points, but never mechanically specific cards earnable through $ only

sappidus: still haven't decided how Valor cards will actually, well, work

sappidus: New packs will be released on a 'seasonal schedule'. (not like 4 seasons/yr, though)
sappidus: 'Pretty big card pool available at launch.'

sappidus: They've talked about Sauron mode! But can't really comment.
sappidus: Easy/med/hard differences are mostly in what Sauron can play against you.
sappidus: Not quite like Nightmare (with its new cards).

sappidus: The AI is 'interesting and unique, and something we're really proud of'.
sappidus: Not just a copy of a human player. Will go into detail in a future blog post.

sappidus: Another stream on Thu 1pm. Expect biweekly streams.
sappidus: Other guests. You'll be excited, especially fans of the tabletop game.

sappidus: Seastan was name-checked during a question, heh.

sappidus: more verbiage about open communication

sappidus: And we're out.

Edited by sappidus
formatting

5 minutes ago, Ywingscum said:

Pc and mac only, I'm sure they will want to add mobile at some

Their announcement "poster" has the app store and google play logos (other than pc and mac). But they are focusing on PC at the moment.

No ansver to that yet... 

but if I have to ques, I would think that scenarios Are smaller versions of scenario packs. New scenario and some player cards, or only player cards... (see the next)

Not sure how new big adventures Are included... big expensive dls that give you core cards and some/all dls and some  smal expansions that give player cards (aka adventure packs to sink player money in) or core the adventure and player cards and the scenario packs like in real Lcg to give next scenario and some cards.

but not much is said about how cards Are distributed.

On 12/26/2017 at 8:23 AM, ProfessorDetective said:

Two things: 1) Will this have the same style of card acquisition as the physical LCGs (Core Set, Deluxe Expansions, and Fixed-content Boosters)?

Besides being solo/co-op, one of the big selling points is that, yes, it will keep the same or similar model as the LCG - fixed packs.

The Core Set you receive for free after completing the tutorial, then there will be "hero packs" which contain a hero and then some cards that are built around that hero. You know what's in them, just like an AP. There will be other card packs as well.

As far as adventures, though, that's not been made clear.

On 12/29/2017 at 8:00 AM, shipwreck said:

Besides being solo/co-op, one of the big selling points is that, yes, it will keep the same or similar model as the LCG - fixed packs.

The Core Set you receive for free after completing the tutorial, then there will be "hero packs" which contain a hero and then some cards that are built around that hero. You know what's in them, just like an AP. There will be other card packs as well.

As far as adventures, though, that's not been made clear.

Nice. I've actually never played LotR LCG (My storage space is limited) so I may give this a shot.

16 hours ago, trueblades said:

Is there any word on how to get in to the beta(open or closed)?

Luke clarified this on yesterday's stream. There is no beta, there's just early access. To be a part of this we'll buy one of three Founder's Packs ($10/$20/$40*). This will include some exclusive goodies and valor points. He said they wanted there to be some buy-in so the players have skin in the game (paraphrasing); seems like a smart idea to keep out the riff raff when feedback is expected.

We expect early access to probably start in March.

*I think that's right. Maybe double check the streams - twitch.tv/ffigames

On 04.01.2018 at 7:47 PM, Kakita Shiro said:

Demo of the game will be available at PAX South next weekend.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/509580/announcements/detail/1568807608822017359 

"CORRECTION: While we'll still be at PAX South, we won't have a playable demo on the show floor—but we'll still be giving away codes, taking your questions, and talking about the game! :(

7 hours ago, Rouxxor said:

Is there someone who still watch the stream? Do we have feedback after the PAX? I'm very interested by the game but can't watch those videos so I need some news :p.

No demo at PAX.

And what video? The've been showing several things: deck builder, 4 of the 5 adventures from the starter scenario (the last only half of it), they've shown favor cards, anatomy on cards (rarity, level and all the core cards, maybe subject to change), the 4 core heroes...

A bunch of things! Stil didnt show anything about shop, palantír feature and the "coming soon" feature.

One thing that concerns me after watching several of the streams is how disposable the heroes are and how it doesn't seem worth it to play a small ally when Sauron will one-shot it the first chance he gets... >_>

31 minutes ago, John Constantine said:

What is the point of the "rarity" within the LCG model?

More rarity = more expensive to  buy with valor (the currency used to buy cards) .

It also means that the card will be more powerful.

2 hours ago, John Constantine said:

I thot they were all within the packs? Does this means you only buy packs with real money, and when you wanna buy stuff with valor - you buy individual cards?

Oh no, all player cards (being normal or favor) will be obtainable via valor. That includes hero packs and cards that can be bought separate. 

When they decide to show the shop we'll have a better understanding about "pack format". Right now we know that it'll be hero packs (one hero and a few player cards thematically linked to that hero/trait) and separate cards.