power500500

Digital Card Game Announced!

81 posts in this topic

I don't know...

Streamlining the game and implementing a cash shop with currency obtainable ingame or paying for it seems a lot like any other digital card game.

The thing here is that, right now, there are tons of those card games, for pc or portable device. Appealing to more players than, say, the ones that are used to play the tabletop version of LOTR, means that the product is different enough for them and has high quality stakes, because that's what the other digital card games try to achieve.

So, what does this game offer differently? Being coop/solo is a thing, but so are Hearthstone adventures/dungeon runs and Gwent in the near future.

Mechanics-wise we'll need to wait and see, but right now is just another beat the other minions in an exchange of stats. Things like questing or deciding where to travel are condensed and streamlined. Tactical decisions seem less relevant (recalling here how Seastan's Caldara 2.0 works) because, well, its just and exchange of stats (again we'll need to see how it plays).

Quality standards are OK. Background scenarios can be flavourful. Cards are so-so (they seem like in a lot of those card games, round-shaped). What about visual card effects? What about sounds? And voice-over? And music?

Playing in a digital landscape means that you can break the fourth wall, seeing how arrows are shot, or spells are casted, and sound is equally important.

And what about the campaign? Will they tie each quest in a way similar to boons/burdens? With decisions to make, paths to choose and permanent effects to obtain?

Since I'm intrigued and I play other digital card games, I'll test it in Early Access, but right now, for me, it seems another card game, with potential.

kdlittle88 likes this

I'm glad this was the announcement, because it's a hard pass for me. 

If I want a physical game, I play it. If I want a digital game, I play it. I see no reason to use physical game mechanics in a digital format. Why not do something better adapted to the digital space than a digital card game? Do things digitally you can only do digitally. 

banania and urloony like this

I'm super happy about this!  I actually disagree with apparently all of you that it looks bad.  Paying a little for it is standard for card games that go digital (see Star Realms, Smash Up, Terra Mystica, really anything).  Usually they're quite cheap.  I would be less likely to buy it if it were the same exact same game, but it appears they are making a significantly different game which I think is good.  Honestly, I don't really see what everyone's worked up about.  That being said, I understand in advance that very few will agree with this view and that's fine.

Edited by Willange

31 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I'm with @Willange I had LotR LCG, but all the upkeep and deck management got to be too much for me, so I sold it. I've been missing the game lately, so I'm actually interested in the digital version of this.

It looks like a completely different game so it's not really a digital version of it.  It might be enjoyable for you none-the-less.

I'm happy for anything Tolkien related that I can actually play.

Although I've bought all the LotR LCG cards, I haven't actually played it in a year or so.  Maybe when my kids get older we can play it together, but right now it's just too hard to break out those cards and re-learn the rules.  I love collecting them, but about 90% of my LotR LCG purchases are still unwrapped, and unplayed.

So, a computer version?  YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(...and this means I can stop wasting time day dreaming of how I would implement it myself!)

3 hours ago, PachiLOTR said:

It looks like a completely different game so it's not really a digital version of it.  It might be enjoyable for you none-the-less.

Yeah, I get that there are changes, but there are also a lot of similarities. You'll still see the same heroes with the same 4 spheres of influence. You'll still gather resources each turn to pay for cards. I imagine it will be as different from the physical version as BattleLore: Command was from BattleLore: Second Edition.

Willange likes this

To people saying "this is a completely different game": no. It's not. It has cards with same names, and hopefully similar effects. It has quests with same enemies as can be seen on screenshots. It's not a completely different game. It is a tweaked LotR LCG. Darkest Dungeon quote comes to my mind for some reason: "Nature herself, a victim to the spreading corruption, malformed with misintent".

Budgernaut and shipwreck like this

8 hours ago, John Constantine said:

To people saying "this is a completely different game": no. It's not. It has cards with same names, and hopefully similar effects. It has quests with same enemies as can be seen on screenshots. It's not a completely different game. It is a tweaked LotR LCG. Darkest Dungeon quote comes to my mind for some reason: "Nature herself, a victim to the spreading corruption, malformed with misintent".

Agreed.

I'm thinking of a game. It's a game where you build your own deck and play solo or co-op in a LOTR universe. You start with 3 heroes, and there's 4 spheres of influence that restrict your deckbuilding. There are enemies, treacheries, allies, attachments, and events. There are quests you play through that have varying stages and objectives.

Anyone to care to take a guess?

But yeah, shame on FFG for directing their marking of this tooootallly unrelated game toward people who play the card game. /s

For me its a hard pass regardless of anything they do with it.  The simple matter is that I have already spent hundreds of dollars on the physical version, I see no reason to pay for it again for the digital one.  If however I didn't own the physical version and was interested in the game, yeah.. I might consider the digital version, but that would most certainly come with the exclusion of buying the physical one.  Its one or the other but not both.

I'm glad to see FFG moving into the digital realm, but they have chosen poorly for their first outing.  I love LoTr the card game, but I already own it so I don't really see any attraction in buying a game I already own, especially one where their are DLC (packs) to buy to expand it.  I think they would have been better off giving digital support to some of their board games, in particular games like Twilight Imperium for example where I would happily buy a digital version of, even at the same price as the physical one since I know I only need to pay for it one time.  Board games are a much better direction than living card games in my humble opinion.

Yepesnopes likes this

As an owner of the physical version, and having a group of friends with whom I play regularly, this announcment does not interest me at all. Unless it is the testing grounds of a future second edition of the LotR lcg.

I am excited about this. I stopped playing the game because I only played with my brother once or twice every Christmas when we would meet at home. Now we ll be playing it all the time. I just hope it is as challenging and interesting. Also I hope that FFG will not go full greed on this one. The "favor" cards for example are a red flag. I hope they are completlely unecessary. 

On the technical side I hope I see amazing visuals, music (although I am sure I ll be playing Howard Shire as I did with the physical one) and of course voice lines for all the characters. The one silly thing that I dont like is the logo. The original is so amazing? Why change it?

Brownmantle likes this

16 hours ago, John Constantine said:

To people saying "this is a completely different game": no. It's not. It has cards with same names, and hopefully similar effects. It has quests with same enemies as can be seen on screenshots. It's not a completely different game. It is a tweaked LotR LCG.

Depends a lot on how different the rules are, and it's hard to tell - but from what I can see/guess, there are no phases, no apparent staging area, no engagement area, a combined attack/defense, no threat on enemies...  It seems like the existence of willpower will likely be a choice between using a character to add quest points and attack with them, without any effective threat.  To the extent there is threat in the game, it seems likely to be a limitation on the cards the AI can play, with higher threat unlocking higher power cards.  Locations sound like they're now the equivalent of quest stages, so basically no locations at all.

I guess it may depend on your definition of "tweaked" - if you think hamburger is just tweaked steak, then yeah, it's a tweaked LOTR LCG.

Look at it another way - if they had announced this as a Star Wars game where the Empire AI played enemies for you to fight while your heroes built up Rebellion points to complete objectives, would you say "Hey, that sounds like LOTR!"?  I have a hard time seeing that.  The similarities would be vague outlines, at best.  You might say "That concept sounds like they brought it over from LOTR", but you certainly wouldn't be saying "They remade LOTR with Star Wars skins!"

8 minutes ago, Buhallin said:

Look at it another way - if they had announced this as a Star Wars game where the Empire AI played enemies for you to fight while your heroes built up Rebellion points to complete objectives, would you say "Hey, that sounds like LOTR!"?  I have a hard time seeing that.  The similarities would be vague outlines, at best.  You might say "That concept sounds like they brought it over from LOTR", but you certainly wouldn't be saying "They remade LOTR with Star Wars skins!"

Imagine some other studio had just made this exact press release instead of FFG. Would you not cry foul, claiming that they had ripped of LOTR:TCG too closely?  FFG's claim of violated copyright would be the easiest lawsuit ever filed. 

On 12/9/2017 at 4:44 PM, Jekzer said:

I don't know...

Streamlining the game and implementing a cash shop with currency obtainable ingame or paying for it seems a lot like any other digital card game.

The thing here is that, right now, there are tons of those card games, for pc or portable device. Appealing to more players than, say, the ones that are used to play the tabletop version of LOTR, means that the product is different enough for them and has high quality stakes, because that's what the other digital card games try to achieve.

So, what does this game offer differently? Being coop/solo is a thing, but so are Hearthstone adventures/dungeon runs and Gwent in the near future.

Mechanics-wise we'll need to wait and see, but right now is just another beat the other minions in an exchange of stats. Things like questing or deciding where to travel are condensed and streamlined. Tactical decisions seem less relevant (recalling here how Seastan's Caldara 2.0 works) because, well, its just and exchange of stats (again we'll need to see how it plays).

Quality standards are OK. Background scenarios can be flavourful. Cards are so-so (they seem like in a lot of those card games, round-shaped). What about visual card effects? What about sounds? And voice-over? And music?

Playing in a digital landscape means that you can break the fourth wall, seeing how arrows are shot, or spells are casted, and sound is equally important.

And what about the campaign? Will they tie each quest in a way similar to boons/burdens? With decisions to make, paths to choose and permanent effects to obtain?

Since I'm intrigued and I play other digital card games, I'll test it in Early Access, but right now, for me, it seems another card game, with potential.

I'm just hoping it still incorporates a story well.  Having a well-done voiceover narrating the story would be a rather nice touch.

I know there's not much to go off yet, but the favour cards have me concerned & strike me as pay-to-win.

If they're included, then I won't be playing the game.  Paying cash for a one use card is just plain corporate greed.

I've generally bounced off of the online card games I've tried (Hearthstone, Elder Scrolls).  Fun, but just not my cup of tea.  However, I think (hope) that this is a good indicator/predictor of the continued health of the LOTR LCG.  I'll definitely give it a try, but do not expect that I'll be super into it.  Hope it has a customer friendly model and does well though!

It'd be nice if it lead to a surge (see what I did there?) of new players of the physical game.

TalisDiorn likes this