Elliphino

Legendary Speculation

Anyone else hoping for Legendary units to be announced? What do you think we might get?

There's already been art for the Barrow Wyrm (in the background of some image behind a necromancer). It would be awesome to see the Roc Warrior and a Chaos Lord too.

I think it's just as likely though that we see entirely new units beyond those we know from other Runebound games.

6 minutes ago, Hepitude said:

As cool as those sound, I'd be happy with more unit variety first. I love the look of tons of soldiers on the battlefield over one big unit. 

I have this same thought. My unshared speculation though is that if Legendary units are introduced, they may do something like they did for "Epic" scale in X-Wing. Maybe a Legendary Battle ups the points to 300 or 400 so you get your dragon and your ranks of troops.

If you look closely, in the background of Maegan Cyndewin's art, you can see a pegasus rider, so that might be a hint. These do exist in Runewars and Runeage, so maybe? I don't know if they would be cav or siege though. Also, for all the units mentioned above, I really don't know how they would treat the flying mechanic.

51 minutes ago, Alicitorte said:

If you look closely, in the background of Maegan Cyndewin's art, you can see a pegasus rider, so that might be a hint. These do exist in Runewars and Runeage, so maybe? I don't know if they would be cav or siege though. Also, for all the units mentioned above, I really don't know how they would treat the flying mechanic.

The Yeron rider is also illustrated  and talked about in the lore book for the Runewars TMG.

I'm betting Yeron Riders will be cavalry. I think Forest Guardians will be the Latari "legend" unit.

I agree that Chaos Lord and Barrow Wyrm are likely candidates for Uthuk and Waiqar.

I'm not sure about Daqan. I suppose Rocs could be big enough. They are big enough in BattleLore, but I never considered those figures as being held to any sort of scale.

As far as timing, I would expect them in 2019, with a steady supplh of new units in 2018. I expect Ironbound, Obscenes, Yeron Riders, and others. I also wouldn't mind a Blood Coven unit that showcases blood witches as a unit instead of figure upgrades and heroes.

Speaking of heroes, I'd love for each faction to get another hero in 2018. (I'm still waiting for Malaana!) ;)

Malaana is a big baddie. She's the ultimate mastermind behind the Uthuk invasion in BattleLore: Command, so I wouldn't be surprised if they held off releasing her until they're ready to roll out some power creep. I foresee an Uthuk warlock hero on foot, and then Malaana, because even if you already own 3 Uthuk heroes, your going to buy Malaana because she looks amazing!

But I suppose I got off track. This topic is about legend units, and I think we'll definitely see Forest Guardians as the Latari legend unit. They make an appearance in Rune Age: Oath and Anvil, and they are mentioned in the Lore Guide. I wonder how they'll be different from the Scions (apart from size). I was thinking they'd have foliage, but I don't know if that would be a pain to paint, and come off looking like a Playmobil toy.

@Parakitor The forest guardians are more human-like in form, compared to the scions that are more like trees. New art in the lore guide also depicts a forest guardian wielding a club, like a stereotypical giant. I guess that makes them jolly green giants.

Edited by Budgernaut

I have no desire whatsoever for huge units. 

A single figure that represents more than about 50 points, much less the 100+ needed to make it a dragon/wyvern worth the name is not good for the game. Making the scoring an all or nothing on a big section of the army doesn’t sit well to me in a game where the MOV matters

Edited by Church14

2 hours ago, Church14 said:

I have no desire whatsoever for huge units. 

A single figure thay represent more tuan about 50 points, much less the 100+ needed to make it a dragon/when worth the name is not good for the game. Making the scoring an all or nothing on a big section of the army doesn’t sit well to me in a game where the MOV matters

I wonder about the points. On one hand, I would anticipate dragon's costing like 100 points, in which case they would probably only make sense, for me any way, in games larger than 200 points. As it is, I already feel like 200 points is just a bit too small with the units we have.

On the other hand, I could see dragons costing 40 to 50 points if they design them another way. If they had the durability and hitting power of a four or six tray unit, that would make them useful, but then maybe they have some different abilities, like flying, or hurling boulders for giants, or firebreath... something that doesn't simply make them "more powerful" than existing units but rather introduces a new dynamic to the game.

I still don't know if at 200 points I would want to replace a medium sized unit with just one monster... but maybe. I make that decision when I consider adding heroes to the army.

47 minutes ago, Elliphino said:

Wait. Is there really a resilient keyword somewhere? I missed it.

RRG 45.5 Resilient [X]: If a unit with this keyword would receive the bane specified by X, the unit does not receive that bane.

No unit has it.

Edited by Polda

8 minutes ago, Polda said:

RRG 45.5 Resilient [X]: If a unit with this keyword would receive the bane specified by X, the unit does not receive that bane.

No unit has it.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate you guys who take the time to note all the details and share them with the rest of us ADHD kids :-)