Sign in to follow this  
Frodo Baggins2

My top 5 0xp card in every category (The Unspeakable Oath - up to date)

Hello fellow investigators! 

2017 almost ending and I decide to make a Top5 list in every possible category for 0xp cards. This is my personal list so some of you may disapointed. Also forgive me for my bad english since it's not my main language.

There are Six categories i will mention in this topic:

1) Assets ( cards that needs hand(s), weapons,items,spells etc.)

2) Assets (Allies) 

3) Assets (Talents)

4)Assets (accesories)

5)Events

6)Skills

The criteria i used: 1) Cost of resources 2) Triggered icons 3) Ability/action 4) Test icons 5)the number of investigators that can utilize this card.

Let's move onto the 1st category! ¨¨:D 

Assets - Hand(s) required cards

Number 5 - Rite of Seeking

Its Cost is the highest on my list. 4 resources for 3 charges it's not a good deal. Although the ability to get fast 2 resources is great. The downside of this card can be avoided if you play it as your 3rd action unlike other cards like Shrivelling and Alchemical Transumation that is unavoidable. This is a must card for solo while in multiplayer helps you gather clues fast in low shroud places while the seeker of your team goes for the high shroud.

Honorable mention here are Alchemical transumation but it didnt make to my list cause everytime it costs you an action to add resource(s) and in hard/expert mode its more safe to pay an action-take a resource than play this card and a -6 or -8 deal to you damage. Another honorable mention is Archaic Glyphs but i don't like the discard philosophy especially in the early game when you need actions for more important things. 

Number 4 - FlashLight

It costs 2 resources and you get 3 charges. Its usable by every investigator since it's neutral and it gets you -2 shroud while investigating. A must card for solo especially for low intellect characters and a decent card in multiplayer. High shroud places becomes weak and easy to search for Rex and Daisy. Honorable Mention is Lantern but not all investigators can make a use of it so that criteria make me choose Flashlight.

Number 3 - Fire Axe

It costs you only 1 resource and you get +1 damage while you have no resources. A weapon you must play around and combos well with Dark Horse. In order to "toss" some resources it gives you the ability in a single test to get max+6 strength when other 0xp weapons the most they can give you is +2 or +4 (trench knife in a wild scenario). Great for investigators with low resource card pool.

Number 2 - Gravedigger's Shovel

Since its appearance everyone makes survivor decks that supporting the Shovel-Resourceful combo. Straight out of the box it gives you +2 combat. The 2nd ability is an auto-clue which can lead you to the next Act of your scenario. This card is destined to be in every Yorick's Deck and in every fighter that needs in the 1st scenario the +2 boost in hard/expert mode. This is so versatile that even seeker investigators can use it.

Number 1 - Machete

No better weapon than this one. Straight out of the core this is the backbone in every Guardian deck and in every fighter's deck in multiplayer. There is no limitation of its use (like .45Automatic). It costs 3 resource (average cost) and most of times you get the +1 damage since you engage 1 enemy at a time. Strong fighters takes down monsters in 1 round  so the bonus damage most of times is up. People love it and there is an obvious reason for that. Don't hesitate to add it if you like hitting enemies hard with this weapon!

Be continued... 

Assets - Allies

Let's clear something. Some upgrades of these cards (like Beat Cop) are way better than their 0xp version but here i mention only 0xp cards.

Number 5 - Peter Sylvestre

An average cost of 3, 1/2 body and +1 agility. A decent start-up ally for Ashcan when duke is not out, great for Lola. Giving you the opportunity to avoid 1 horror every turn, helps you survive longer and that is crucial for characters with low sanity.

Number 4 - Art student

Low cost, 1/2 body. Its abilty for an auto-clue is great. After that it's just a body but with the new addition of Calling in Favors that card became even better. In high shroud places using her multiple times especially in hard/expert mode gives you mobility and efficiency.

Number 3 - Dr. William T. Maleson

For just 1 resourse you get a 2/2 body! His effect doen't cost you an action since it's a reaction. Its ability is great in times of grave danger but it can be the opposite. Sometimes you thing you avoid some nasty treachery then it hits you harder.. Oh the irony! Anyway, this card shines with Roland since it boosts his weapon, helps with his weakness and can be combo with Inquiring minds in 0 clues- shroud places. Great addition to every deck that can utilize him.

Number 2 - Dr. Milan Cristopher

This is an auto- include for seekers since it's a resourse pool for them. For 4 resources you get a 1/2 body, +1 intellect (Daisy goes to 6 with that card) , makes other cards better like I've got a plan, Mind over Matter. And on top of that he's a chubby Nerd guy <3

Number 1 - Leo De Luca

The big downside of this card is its cost. Even with his upgrade 5 resourses are too many for an ally. But his effect will make you not regret this. Having an extra action every turn is game change. While other cards have limitations with Luca you can use that extra action for everything (fight,investigate, play important plays). Great card for "rich" investigators like Jenny. Also a good 2/2 body.

Be continued..

On 12/11/2017 at 2:13 AM, Frodo Baggins2 said:

Number 5 - Peter Sylvestre

An average cost of 3, 1/2 body and +1 agility. A decent start-up ally for Ashcan when duke is not out, great for Lola. Giving you the opportunity to avoid 1 horror every turn, helps you survive longer and that is crucial for characters with low sanity.

As an aside, you can have Duke and Pete out at the same time.  Duke doesn't take up an ally slot.

2 hours ago, Covered in Weasels said:

Not only that, Duke starts the game in play. If Duke is not in play, something has gone terribly wrong :o

Such as after him being sacrificed in "Blood On The Altar". That's the only situation so far I believe has come up where that can happen.

7 hours ago, mwmcintyre said:

Such as after him being sacrificed in "Blood On The Altar". That's the only situation so far I believe has come up where that can happen.

That he doesn't start in play, yes. He can be discarded from play like any Ally Asset who's damaged beyond HP.

On 12/16/2017 at 2:49 PM, mwmcintyre said:

I don't know if it was out when you posted this, but Calling In Favors would also do it if you're using it in your Pete deck (not a bad option tbh).

40 minutes ago, Soakman said:

I don't know if it was out when you posted this, but Calling In Favors would also do it if you're using it in your Pete deck (not a bad option tbh).

I was more referring to situations where he doesn't start in play/is no longer part of the deck. He can also leave play due to damage/horror.

Edited by mwmcintyre

On 17-12-2017 at 3:58 AM, Network57 said:

That he doesn't start in play, yes. He can be discarded from play like any Ally Asset who's damaged beyond HP.

But unless sacrificed, Duke will always return like the good dog he is.