Boba Rick

Colored Base Preference?

What is your colored base preference?  I have red for when I take Rebels, but I was thinking of getting something else for the other factions.

What do you think looks best for Imperials or Scum?  I wish there was a black option.  I don't trust myself to paint them.

The purple color: is it dark or light purple?

I'm purple for my Imperials, and orange for my Rebels.  I'm pondering some green bases for my Scum to match the Mandalorian movement templates I've got from Cog O Two.

@Boba Rick - The purple is pretty dark.  Not dark enough to look black, but definitely not bright!

Purple is very dark but can get confused with Blue fairly easily.  Green and Orange are probably the most striking on the table.  I would definitely go with green for Imps to match the green lasers and orange looks nice and scummy.  That way you are mostly matching the arc lines on the ship inserts as well.

(Off topic:  What do we call the cardboard that sets inside the plastic base with arcs and pilot/ship info etc.)

Edit:  I have some of each and use colored card sleeves and colored bases to match instead of the ship # gravestones.  It works pretty well.

Edited by gamblertuba

I use the blue bases myself. Way back in my 'beginning' days of X-wing I foolishly bought something like a dozen packs of bases, planning to base every single ship. Now I just keep 6 small and 2 large bases in my kit, while the rest gather dust in the tackle-box I use for extra bits.

55 minutes ago, gamblertuba said:

(Off topic:  What do we call the cardboard that sets inside the plastic base with arcs and pilot/ship info etc.)

I call it a ship pilot chit.

On topic:

red: Imperials, like dark force users lightsabers

Green: Scum. Like nasty pond scum

blue: Rebels. prob should have gone with x-wing flight suite orange but now I have too many blue ones to switch.

And what's the deal with these and the dial upgrades? they are getting hard to find and no sign of a reprint soon that I can tell.

I originally bought the purple bases, but have added orange and red to the mix when I run multiples of a ship type. I put a blank base of a color on the ship card that matches the one on the ship to make it easier to keep track of which ship is taking damage. This system has been working well for me, especially with the Scum swarm I ran this week at the wave 12/13 release tournament at FFG center.

1 hour ago, Boba Rick said:

I wish there was a black option.  I don't trust myself to paint them.

Just buy a Black matte acrilic spray can, put your bases in a cardboard box and you're done!

Just spray in a well ventilated area and let it dry properly before touching 

Red for Rebels,

Blue for Imperials,

Orange for S&V,

Purple for my custom Firefly ships,

Green for my custom Bird-of-Prey ships,

Black and Grey spray-painted for my swarm of Hunter-Killer missiles.

As mentioned, the green and orange are most striking on the table. The red and purple are pretty dark but you can still see their color. The blue is a bit disappointing, they are so dark that they kinda lose their color on the table.

1 hour ago, PanchoX1 said:

I call it a ship pilot chit.

On topic:

red: Imperials, like dark force users lightsabers

Green: Scum. Like nasty pond scum

blue: Rebels. prob should have gone with x-wing flight suite orange but now I have too many blue ones to switch.

And what's the deal with these and the dial upgrades? they are getting hard to find and no sign of a reprint soon that I can tell.

Not sure, could be related to an unexpected sales jump, or due to the fact we have at least two cases of cheating at high level events caught on stream, both times with upgraded dials, leaves me wondering if they are being phased out for something new.

For me it goes like:

Rebel: Red

Imperial: Blue or Purple

Scum: Orange

And then my greens just sit around unused. Well, all of them have been unused as of late, because I've been flying a lot of large-based ships and the colored bases/pegs don't properly fit like 90% of the large-based ships that have been released.

I use blue.  My friend painted his green along with a bunch of pegs.  They look really nice painted, and I wish I had just painted mine instead of buying the translucent ones.  Just use a spray paint that can bond with plastic, and do it in light coats.