Sign in to follow this  
Vontoothskie

Why is Tie-Silencer a small base ship?

20 minutes ago, Ccwebb said:

The JMK5000 would argue with you.  

That has nothing to do with it.

JM5K has a turret. JM5K has a white sloop. JM5K had a TON of options (most of them cut off now by a holepuncher). JM5K is 9hp2agi so no matter how bad defense is it took at absolute minimum 2 heavy attacks to kill it.

Silencer has no turret. Silencer has no white turnarounds, Silencer has somewhat limited upgrade options. Silencer is 6hp 3agi, which is in the territory of one really bad defense can leave it just waiting to be sneezed at to be finished off.

The two are not comparable.

The only large base ships that are used either have a turret, additional arcs (minus the firespray for other reasons), or has a TON of support-ship shenanigans. Literally the only reason the Lambda is used is it happens to be the cheapest palp platform, Uwing doesnt exist, IG88 ships are uber rare, and the YV666 is seen occasionally but generally not used either.

Edited by Vineheart01

I agree that the reason is small is so that it flies like a small ship.  But not because it would suck with a large base, rather I think it would be too good, boosting and barrel rolling every turn even when stressed.  You would never tie that ship down.

14 hours ago, Vontoothskie said:

With 5 of the last ten ships being dramatically larger than their bases, how are we supposed to physically place ships near each-other on the board? consider a Silencer and Decimator vs a VCX100, Havoc, and ARC170... 

"• If two or more models in play could potentially touch causing conflict with movement or placement of ships (e.g. two Millennium Falcon ships are placed with their bases touching), players must adjust the number of plastic pegs to increase or decrease height until the ship models are not touching."

2 minutes ago, AtomicFryingPan said:

The actual model should have been smaller. This just seems like a way for ffg to get more money out of people.

Ahem, U-wing packed with expertise.  There’s no way that ship couldn’t fit in a 15 dollar blister, much less a 20 dollar one.  

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

Man, people are silly

Medium bases wouldn't solve anything. Bases have obvious and significant gameplay consequences. You change the base size, you change the way the ship flies

End of story

You say that like it's a bad thing. It's not a bug it's a feature.

Making them fit better on the bases is another. 

9 hours ago, Vineheart01 said:

That has nothing to do with it.

JM5K has a turret. JM5K has a white sloop. JM5K had a TON of options (most of them cut off now by a holepuncher). JM5K is 9hp2agi so no matter how bad defense is it took at absolute minimum 2 heavy attacks to kill it.

Silencer has no turret. Silencer has no white turnarounds, Silencer has somewhat limited upgrade options. Silencer is 6hp 3agi, which is in the territory of one really bad defense can leave it just waiting to be sneezed at to be finished off.

The two are not comparable.

The only large base ships that are used either have a turret, additional arcs (minus the firespray for other reasons), or has a TON of support-ship shenanigans. Literally the only reason the Lambda is used is it happens to be the cheapest palp platform, Uwing doesnt exist, IG88 ships are uber rare, and the YV666 is seen occasionally but generally not used either.

Just referring to the dial.  JMK5000 is waaaaaay more maneuverable than it should be.  Green hard one?  Even a white hard one!  Good grief. My comment was just that a large base ship can be extremely maneuverable. 

Edited by Ccwebb
Spelling.

9 hours ago, AtomicFryingPan said:

The actual model should have been smaller. This just seems like a way for ffg to get more money out of people.

This. They wanted $30 for what should have been a $15 ship. Then there is the gunboat that is also not in scale because umm, people don't like gunboats and it might not sale so make it small and cheap so someone might buy it.... FFG doesn't pay attention some times.

The TIE Silencer is 17.4 meters long. 1/270 is 6.4cm. That's 2.4cm more than the small base. I don't know how long the Silencer model is, but I heard around 8cm? Which is clearly too long. To compare: a Silencere:Striker is 6.2cm long, a K-Wing is 8.9cm wide.

This raises the question why they went out of scale in the unusual direction. Why make the model so large? There are at least two options:

1. They wanted to grab as much money as possible and increased the size until it doesn't fit a medium blister anymore.
2. They had no knowledge of the actual size when they designed everything and went with what LFL/Disney told them.

I know which answer seems more plausible to me, and which one is more convenient...

Edited by GreenDragoon

If you look on wookiepedia the t-65 X-wing is 12,5m long and the Tie Silencer 17,5m. Also looking at the trailers, I think the Tie Silencer should be a small base ship, we simply got a model thats a little to big (Its probably to scale with the A-wing ;) )

On Friday, December 08, 2017 at 7:23 AM, Herowannabe said:

Also because FFG opted to not create a medium-sized base back when they came out with ships that were too big for a small base but not really big enough to justify a large base, like the (scum) Aggressor, K-Wing, TIE Punisher, ARC-170, U-Wing, Scurrg, and now they feel like it’s too late to change things. 

And G1A. Poor G1A, always forgotten.

10 hours ago, Mep said:

This. They wanted $30 for what should have been a $15 ship. Then there is the gunboat that is also not in scale because umm, people don't like gunboats and it might not sale so make it small and cheap so someone might buy it.... FFG doesn't pay attention some times.

So your hypothesis is that FFG wants to squeeze the most money out of people. 

You've got one piece of evidence (the silencer) that seems to support the hypothesis.

You've got one piece of evidence (the gunboat) that seems to contradict your hypothesis.

Your conclusion is that your hypothesis must be correct because evidence A, but that FFG is bad at executing it because evidence B?

Or maybe you need a new hypothesis.

If FFG was that dead set on fleecing us all, why wouldn't they just raise prices slightly across the whole range? They'd make considerably more than deliberately over-sizing one ship so it can't fit in a blister, so it has to go in a box, so they can charge more money. 

Darth Maus and his endless machinations!

1 hour ago, Sekac said:

They'd make considerably more than deliberately over-sizing one ship so it can't fit in a blister, so it has to go in a box, so they can charge more money.

If they even make more, at all!

Shipping volume will be a large factor for their profit. All the criticism is so off, it‘s mindboggling

3 hours ago, Sekac said:

So your hypothesis is that FFG wants to squeeze the most money out of people. 

You've got one piece of evidence (the silencer) that seems to support the hypothesis.

You've got one piece of evidence (the gunboat) that seems to contradict your hypothesis.

Your conclusion is that your hypothesis must be correct because evidence A, but that FFG is bad at executing it because evidence B?

Or maybe you need a new hypothesis.

If FFG was that dead set on fleecing us all, why wouldn't they just raise prices slightly across the whole range? They'd make considerably more than deliberately over-sizing one ship so it can't fit in a blister, so it has to go in a box, so they can charge more money. 

Darth Maus and his endless machinations!

Do I really need to explain to some on on the internet about sell through, the costs of unsold inventory, shelf space costs, price points of impulse buys and that business not only want to make money but also not lose money.... no not really. Go google it if you don't know it.

FFG is clearly banking on the movie selling a lot of silencers. A game from the 90s, not so much. The truth is that oversized ship gets noticed a good distance away and is clearly one of the big toy IPs from this movie. If they could get away with putting a porg in x wing, they would. Yeah, sometimes FFG doesn't get all the details from Disney but they have eyes. They know what that ship is and how it looks when compared to their other ships.

Edited by Mep

6 minutes ago, Mep said:

Do I really need to explain to some on on the internet about sell through, the costs of unsold inventory, price points of impulse buys and that business not only want to make money but also not lose money.... no not really. Go google it if you don't know it.

Yes, but your seems to be that they're half shrewd businessmen and women, and half oblivious. That's just pretty poorly thought out. 

1 minute ago, Sekac said:

Yes, but your seems to be that they're half shrewd businessmen and women, and half oblivious. That's just pretty poorly thought out. 

They made a lot of rather obscure ships that no one asked for and yet the one ship a lot of people were asking for got ignored for years. Probably because they figured it was only 50 middle age yet very vocal men asking for it and that was the extent of the interest for that ship, hence no production for years. I saw a lot of gunboats sold. I think it is more popular than they realize and haven't been playing attention to what people actually want. Did anyone actually want the kimogila? They didn't in galaxies. They could have done a better job on the gunboat and they could have done a better job on the clown shoe silencer. One is clearly going to be the center piece of the marketing of this game, the other they hedged their bets on.

My comment was thought out well. You just don't understand what it is I am talking about. BTW shrewd and oblivious are often terms used together to describe the suits.

No I understand perfectly well. They anticipate the silencer being popular, so they deliberately over-sized it to justify a larger box to make money.

Meanwhile, they weren't sure people would want the gunboat (because they're willfully ignorant, I guess), so they deliberately under-sized to justify putting it in a blister to make less money. 

I just don't think that's very likely.

I found the explanation the developers actually gave about why it took so long to get the gunboat out was actually pretty convincing. Since the gunboat uses missiles, SLAM, tractor beams, and jamming beams, and that would all be too much to release in one pack, they slowly introduced all those mechanics into the game, saw what they had, and then designed the gunboat around those building blocks. It's an explanation that doesn't delve into conspiracy and schizophrenic marketing strategies.