brettpkelly

Ugnaughts at regionals

What's the community's opinion on bringing an ugnaught swarm to regionals? I personally feel like Ugnaughts are one of the most consistent lists, but I don't want to take an Ugnaught list for obvious reasons. 

I personally think people should be able to bring whatever legal they list they want, and not be looked down upon for it. That said, I most likely will not bring Ugnaughts (probably) because I know a lot of people feel differently. I'm also expecting a good number of people in my area to play Chewie, who can withstand the junk droid pretty well, and gets enraged if I attack anyone else.

22 minutes ago, turkishvancat said:

I personally think people should be able to bring whatever legal they list they want, and not be looked down upon for it. That said, I most likely will not bring Ugnaughts (probably) because I know a lot of people feel differently. I'm also expecting a good number of people in my area to play Chewie, who can withstand the junk droid pretty well, and gets enraged if I attack anyone else.

I agree. I personally hate the Ug swarm (since it's broken) and am not impressed by people who bring it. However, it's legal and if you have fun playing it, go for it. :P

I would be cool with a general community gentlemen's agreement to not use the junk droid. I think that we as a community have the power to decide that fun should take precedence at all times. 

This, of course, would not be binding to anyone or anything. I just think that we have seen enough of the list as community to know that while it is efficient, it is a massive negative play experience for both the opponent and oftentimes the player. I am 100% gunning for dice, but I do not believe in grinding people's face into the dirt on the way there. I won't be using junk droid for those reasons.

Edited by ThatJakeGuy

Anyone should bring whatever he or she wants to play at a tournament that is a legal list. To me it is totally fine to encounter an ugnaught swarm at a tournament. No matter what kind of level the tournament is. In all 3 tournaments I played in I have not seen anyone play with the ugnaught swarm though. Most people prefer other lists apparantly.

Hate the game, not the player.  Hopefully, people are mature enough to not give you anything more than friendly ribbing over bringing the ughs.  I say bring them.

If no one brings them, FFG won't see any results to know if they need to get hit with the FAQ-bat, until someone decides to take them to a premiere event.

12 hours ago, ThatJakeGuy said:

I would be cool with a general community gentlemen's agreement to not use the junk droid. I think that we as a community have the power to decide that fun should take precedence at all times. 

This, of course, would not be binding to anyone or anything. I just think that we have seen enough of the list as community to know that while it is efficient, it is a massive negative play experience for both the opponent and oftentimes the player. I am 100% gunning for dice, but I do not believe in grinding people's face into the dirt on the way there. I won't be using junk droid for those reasons.

On Spanish Nationals, everyone talk about not taking them to the tourney. And everyone agreed, so 0 little pigs and trash droids on our National Championship. So proud of my community ^^

6 minutes ago, pheaver said:

Hate the game, not the player.  Hopefully, people are mature enough to not give you anything more than friendly ribbing over bringing the ughs.  I say bring them.

If no one brings them, FFG won't see any results to know if they need to get hit with the FAQ-bat, until someone decides to take them to a premiere event.

Right now I'm leaning rebels, but if I change my mind I'm going to tell everyone that @pheaver told me to. 

1 hour ago, pheaver said:

You mean like how the exact same list won North American Champs and then Nationals, causing a massive firestorm that, judging by this thread, still hasn't died down? I think that if Ugs aren't already on FFG's radar, they're paying literally no attention to the community.

Edited by ThatJakeGuy

I say if you bring them and we, as a community, should be able to organize a public shaming event of you on the steps of FFG! IA anarchy!

Sooooo bring them at your own risk :D

At the end of the day, anything not a store championship, anything legal should not be shunned. Winning is the name of the game, and if the ughs is your way to that W tinker away!

13 minutes ago, wannabepudge said:

I say if you bring them and we, as a community, should be able to organize a public shaming event of you on the steps of FFG! IA anarchy!

Sooooo bring them at your own risk :D

:P 

#permabanhate #stopugnaughtshaming #ugnaughtally

Also, what you said about playing to win. If you're spending the time and gas to travel, play your best list! :D

20 minutes ago, Fightwookies said:

We all want the community to grow. That doesn't happen if people act like a jerk to someone just trying to get dice.

If I thought Ugs were a viable path to getting some sweet sparkle dice, I'd bring the Ugs and expect to have a good time. Let's be honest, we're all just here for the dice.

I mean if I don't make top 8, there will be tables upended :D

Dice or bust!

daniel craig table flip GIF

12 minutes ago, kennydkbrown said:

The thing is, Vader is going to be out in force at Regionals, and if an Ugnaught Swarm runs into Vader, it is going to have a very very very hard time against him.

I've heard a few podcasts/write ups argue this, but I don't think it's that simple. Yes, you probably don't want the Junk droid attacking Vader as the percentages of getting in damaged w/o being focused are quite slim (and even with the focus it's somewhat risky).  However, in a typicaly swarm list you still have IG88/Onar or focused Weequays running around. IG88 and Onar are definitely capable of handling Vader together. A blaze of Glory IG and just drawing a few of your Hunter cards could spell the end of Vader very, very quickly. And once Vader is gone the the UG will fare better. Not to mention, if the Vader list faces Ugs on the Nal Hutta crate mission, the UG list will win most every time. 

35 minutes ago, TheWelcomeMat88 said:

I've heard a few podcasts/write ups argue this, but I don't think it's that simple. Yes, you probably don't want the Junk droid attacking Vader as the percentages of getting in damaged w/o being focused are quite slim (and even with the focus it's somewhat risky).  However, in a typicaly swarm list you still have IG88/Onar or focused Weequays running around. IG88 and Onar are definitely capable of handling Vader together. A blaze of Glory IG and just drawing a few of your Hunter cards could spell the end of Vader very, very quickly. And once Vader is gone the the UG will fare better. Not to mention, if the Vader list faces Ugs on the Nal Hutta crate mission, the UG list will win most every time. 

Raining Freight will definitely be a problem, but I think that a good Vader player will know how to close the gap with Vader and his supporting troops to start eliminating Ughs pretty early in the game, which will in turn reduce the efficiency of the Ugh swarm. I do think it will require a lot of practice, though, so that the player fighting the swarm doesn't make those mistakes that will cost him the game.

1 hour ago, wannabepudge said:

Dice or bust!

daniel craig table flip GIF

Man, now I kind of want some Christmas monopoly with the family. It’s been a while since we’ve had good reason to yell at each other. 

*back on topic: 

be nice to ugnaught players. They’re people too. 

Edited by Fightwookies
Back on topic

17 minutes ago, kennydkbrown said:

I do think it will require a lot of practice, though, so that the player fighting the swarm doesn't make those mistakes that will cost him the game.

How does one go about practicing against the swarm if we are shaming everyone away from it haha