ianediger

TLJ Ships

14 minutes ago, Ardaedhel said:

@Vergilius, can we get an Explain-Like-I'm-Not-Roman?

Haha, sure.

World history has an extremely long tradition of calling ships women, and using feminine pronouns (she) or references (lady).  This makes sense with Latin-sounding ending like -trix, which is feminine in Latin in much the same way that we might use steward/stewardess, waiter/waitress in English.  So I was equally baffled as someone else that one of the ships be described as a male Intedictor, which amounts to utter nonsense to most of us.

Also, I assume he meant to write debemus naves feminas vocare, "we ought to call the ships women."   Debemus naves feminae vocare looks awkward at best, though you could force it to mean something like "we women ought to summon the ships."  I'm just not sure why he'd say that in this thread.  :)   But then composing in Latin is extremely hard and even the best of us miss a noun case here or there.

Edited by Vergilius

1 hour ago, Vergilius said:

Haha, sure.

World history has an extremely long tradition of calling ships women, and using feminine pronouns (she) or references (lady).  This makes sense with Latin-sounding ending like -trix, which is feminine in Latin in much the same way that we might use steward/stewardess, waiter/waitress in English.  So I was equally baffled as someone else that one of the ships be described as a male Intedictor, which amounts to utter nonsense to most of us.

Also, I assume he meant to write debemus naves feminas vocare, "we ought to call the ships women."   Debemus naves feminae vocare looks awkward at best, though you could force it to mean something like "we women ought to summon the ships."  I'm just not sure why he'd say that in this thread.  :)   But then composing in Latin is extremely hard and even the best of us miss a noun case here or there.

Those tricky dead languages. 

4 hours ago, Vergilius said:

So I was equally baffled as someone else that one of the ships be described as a male Intedictor, which amounts to utter nonsense to most of us.

Because it has a vaguely tube shaped thing sticking out of it, so they automatically think "p e n i s, heheheh".  At least, that's my experience, first, second, and third hand.  :-)

Edited by Admiral Theia

19 minutes ago, Admiral Theia said:

Because it has a vaguely tube shaped thing sticking out of it, so they automatically think "p e n i s, heheheh".  At least, that's my experience, first, second, and third hand.  :-)

I actually always see the Interdictor as a female. Just saying it kinda has b o o b s. So when I saw this bo*bless interdictor I saw it as male.  I can’t believe we’re having this conversation. :)

Edited by Jabby

Is it bad that one of my first thoughts was how much better the first order caps look with the back-flap down? Compared to the Imperial caps, I could never take the first order caps seriously because, from the front, the little 'ears' of the folded-up back flap make them look ridiculous.

I like all of them. I'd accept all of them in Armada except the Supremacy... it would be as bad as trying to jam an Imperial Star Destroyer into X-Wing... scale's too big.

9 hours ago, Visovics said:

Yeah, but I also imagine that if you need to get closer to the planet for some reason and come inside or extremely near the atmosphere, it would be preferable to have the cannons underneath, almost as if they are dropping bombs, but aimed better, and from a huge barrel...

No, the ship would be in exactly the same position, just flipped around the long axis. 

Not very inspiring. For the New Republic they basically went with Rebel Alliance style ships plus extra's. This doesn't make sense as the Rebel Alliance used these improvised warships out of necessity. The New Republic had no reason not to employ a more uniform/structured navy that would have been cheaper/easier to build and especially to maintain.  I do actually like the way these ships look, perfect if the movie took place 2 years after Endor or something, they just don't make so much sense being the mainstay ships of the New Republic navy which at this point has been an established entity for decades.

The First Order ships don't really make sense either. They are a (we assume) small imperial remnant, who apparently have the ability to create battleships that are both highly advanced and also in every way much bigger and better than their Imperial predecessors. The 'Mega' class is simply ridiculous size wise, and the dreadnought, well its acceptable albeit a bit bland and other than that it is established that a single ISD can glass a planet so why need this huge ship dedicated exclusively to orbital bombardment? (unless it can break planetary shields or something) 

Out of the first Order Ships I only like the Finalizer type star destroyers design-wise as they look essentially like improved, meaner ISD's. Though their size and amount of weapons again just doesn't make sense.

16 minutes ago, Lord Tareq said:

Not very inspiring. For the New Republic they basically went with Rebel Alliance style ships plus extra's. This doesn't make sense as the Rebel Alliance used these improvised warships out of necessity. The New Republic had no reason not to employ a more uniform/structured navy that would have been cheaper/easier to build and especially to maintain.  I do actually like the way these ships look, perfect if the movie took place 2 years after Endor or something, they just don't make so much sense being the mainstay ships of the New Republic navy which at this point has been an established entity for decades.

The First Order ships don't really make sense either. They are a (we assume) small imperial remnant, who apparently have the ability to create battleships that are both highly advanced and also in every way much bigger and better than their Imperial predecessors. The 'Mega' class is simply ridiculous size wise, and the dreadnought, well its acceptable albeit a bit bland and other than that it is established that a single ISD can glass a planet so why need this huge ship dedicated exclusively to orbital bombardment? (unless it can break planetary shields or something) 

Out of the first Order Ships I only like the Finalizer type star destroyers design-wise as they look essentially like improved, meaner ISD's. Though their size and amount of weapons again just doesn't make sense.

They're Resistance ships not New Republic ships. I'm not sure how the First Order gets the funds to build their super-mega-duper ships.

34 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

They're Resistance ships not New Republic ships. I'm not sure how the First Order gets the funds to build their super-mega-duper ships.

FO sympathizers in the NR Senate is one of the main sources.

5 minutes ago, ianediger said:

FO sympathizers in the NR Senate is one of the main sources.

oops bet they would be regretting that now... if they were still alive after the FO wiped out the NR Senate with Star Killer Base :) 

17 hours ago, dominosfleet said:

Ugh, anyone else really really want to see the remaining empire if it is, in fact, separate from the First Order. I need to see a semi tall, rather blue commanding officer confronting that  harry potter ginger on the big screen.  

This, a thousand times this.  I want the Empire of the Hand to make an appearance! 

The Corellian ship looks ridiculous. Nobody in his right mind would design a ship where whole sections are attached to the main hull with a single corridor. Utterly stupid. The other Rebel Resistance designs are fine. The FO ships are as ridiculous as always.

By the way somebody please tell me why does HAVE to reflect in every possible way that the Resistance are the Rebels and the FO are the Imperials? I mean couldn't the pseudo-Rebels at lest got some frikkin ISDs for example? Bah... the mouseverse makes not ht e slightest sense...

31 minutes ago, Norell said:

The Corellian ship looks ridiculous. Nobody in his right mind would design a ship where whole sections are attached to the main hull with a single corridor. 

this is a setting where fighters fold their wings to an X shape so the shield envelope around it is more effective.

the forward shields on that ship must be pretty badass.

Edited by Geressen

2 hours ago, Gadgetron said:

This, a thousand times this.  I want the Empire of the Hand to make an appearance! 

I don't care what is "official" imperial remnant and warlords happened in my headcanon. and that is what matters to me.

4 minutes ago, Geressen said:

I don't care what is "official" imperial remnant and warlords happened in my headcanon. and that is what matters to me.

I think this is the weakest aspect of the new canon. How an empire with 25,000 ISDs was pushed down to the last battle having a couple dozen destroyers and one SSD makes no sense. If the New Republic was able to whittle them down to that point there would have been no real threat anymore either.

So I retcon in my headcanon as well. The Imperial Remnant operating today could very well still have considerable forces available if instead of the entire naval remnant being present at Jakku it was just the flagships of the high command members. With the primary leadership gone the rest of the Imperial forces may have been willing to sign an armistice or peace treaty. Leaving it ripe for Thrawn to return and take command... *crosses fingers*

1 hour ago, TheBigLev said:

I think this is the weakest aspect of the new canon. How an empire with 25,000 ISDs was pushed down to the last battle having a couple dozen destroyers and one SSD makes no sense. If the New Republic was able to whittle them down to that point there would have been no real threat anymore either.

So I retcon in my headcanon as well. The Imperial Remnant operating today could very well still have considerable forces available if instead of the entire naval remnant being present at Jakku it was just the flagships of the high command members. With the primary leadership gone the rest of the Imperial forces may have been willing to sign an armistice or peace treaty. Leaving it ripe for Thrawn to return and take command... *crosses fingers*

Well I’m almost sure that Palpatine had been sending ships and resources to the unknown regions, including his own SSD the Eclipse, which is the basis of where the first order kinda starts, so it’s actual canon!!

5 hours ago, TheBigLev said:

They do cover the fall of the Empire pretty well actually.  Newcanon has no solid fleet numbers, though they do have large quantities of ISDs falling to sabotage/special forces/snub fighter trench run tactics, as well as general officer corp incompetence (you don't often get promoted in the imperial navy for skill, Thrawn, Sloane, and Veers are the exception, not the rule.)

Once the Emperor is dead, it's mentioned that many of the fleets/ships break away and become their own warlords and maintain protection of their own personal planets.  The ships at Jakku, were just those still loyal to the Emperors ideals, most (or at least a lot, I have no numbers) of the imperial navy had deserted, and a lot had previously been deployed to the unknown regions.

1 hour ago, Gadgetron said:

They do cover the fall of the Empire pretty well actually.  Newcanon has no solid fleet numbers, though they do have large quantities of ISDs falling to sabotage/special forces/snub fighter trench run tactics, as well as general officer corp incompetence (you don't often get promoted in the imperial navy for skill, Thrawn, Sloane, and Veers are the exception, not the rule.)

Once the Emperor is dead, it's mentioned that many of the fleets/ships break away and become their own warlords and maintain protection of their own personal planets.  The ships at Jakku, were just those still loyal to the Emperors ideals, most (or at least a lot, I have no numbers) of the imperial navy had deserted, and a lot had previously been deployed to the unknown regions.

/Eyes the unknown region 

On 12/7/2017 at 2:16 PM, GrandAdmiralCrunch said:

To be honest, I would be disappointed if the rest of the New Republic didn’t show up in Episode 9. The Starkiller Attack was the Equivalent of Pearl Harbour except they hit Washington D.C. with a nuke. 

It would be ridiculous if the New Republic didn’t come looking for blood.  

True, and hopefulyl they'll go that route, but Ep8 apparently picks up immediately where Ep7 left off, and as best i can tell from the trailer will take place over the span of maybe a few weeks, so there just isn't going to be enough time for the New Republic to put the remaining bits back together and respond.

On 12/7/2017 at 4:19 PM, Truthiness said:

Regardless of how much the fleet was wiped out, the military high command almost certainly was, which is probably a more important factor. If the Pentagon was nuked, sure, we have plenty of other Soldiers, but getting them organized would be very difficult. Now spread that across a galaxy to a military that has been in peacetime operations for 30 years. Since we appear to be starting almost immediately after TFA, the Republic military should absolutely not be a factor.

agreed. i also wonder that, since there are a lot of FO sympathizers in the new Republic, if some of those regions aren't going to start up local conflicts at the FO's urging to tie up the NR's localized forces. which would slow down the regrouping even more. having to help the worlds around say, the Corporate sector (which supported the FO) hold off attacks by the Corporate sector's forces would prevent any NR fleet forces from being able to respond to a call to fight the FO all the way on the other side of the galaxy.

12 hours ago, Geressen said:

this is a setting where fighters fold their wings to an X shape so the shield envelope around it is more effective.

the forward shields on that ship must be pretty badass.

But if an X-Wing loses one of its wings it can't result in critical decompression. Plus it wouldn't cost lives.