Lumberjack Nick

Disneyland AT-AT popcorn bucket

Recently Disney started selling AT-AT popcorn buckets at their parks. I live near Disneyland and was just there and saw these popcorn buckets and was tempted to buy one, but they are $25 and didn’t want to spend the cash. I ran across this on Instagram just now and it has me tempted to go back to Disneyland soon and pick one up! What do you all think? It looks close to scale. You can’t tell in these photos but the legs are fully posable. The guy whose photos these are said he’s going to paint it.

Edit: it won’t let me share any more photos. I guess they are too big. Check out his Instagram for the rest of the photos. @briankesinger

9C9ED32B-BB12-4537-A0A3-0A35241F288B.jpeg

Edited by Lumberjack Nick

I hope they sell these in Orlando in Walt Disney World. If it's too small no big deal for me. These would be turned into downed AT-AT's anyway. Living 20 minutes frok Disney will have a new advantage!

According to Wookieepedia, an AT-ST is 9 m tall, and a AT-AT is 22 1/2 m tall.  If the photo above does not have too much depth change due to position, the AT-AT looks over twice the height of the AT-ST, but not three times.  Probably pretty close.

4 hours ago, Lumberjack Nick said:

Here’s an updated photo. Looks sooooooooo cool!

Customed Popcorn Bucket

Im getting mine soon. Question: I’m new to painting. It looks like he just brushed Nuln Oil on. No primer or anything else. Is that correct?

I am a novice painter/modeler also.  If you look at the original photo, the hue of the AT-AT is very light and shiny.  It looks like, well, plastic.  The second photo you included has it looking a light grey and, then, grimy with depth via Nulin Oil.

If I had to guess, a light primer and spray of light grey paint or even just a light coat of spray/air brushed grey primer and, then, the Nulin Oil, as the plastic sheen and "look" is gone.

5 hours ago, OccasionallyCorrect said:

It's a flop open top.  When its closed it looks correct.

I got mine last weekend, and I'm painting it now!

Wanna give a quick tutorial on how you're doing it? I'd also love to see some photos of yours. I'm getting mine soon and I'm brand new to painting and worried I'll mess it up. 

I use the Tamiya spray color "light ghost grey" for all my tie fighters in Armada, so I first sprayed the whole thing with that.  It was a huge improvement from the jump. 

Next up I'm going to give it a wash with bulb oil, try and add some streaks and staining, maybe some blaster scoring and call it a day. It really is a nice model considering it's a popcorn bucket.