Sign in to follow this  
Boom Owl

Team Covenant: Alex Davy Interview

This was actually a really interesting interview to listen to. I was hugely disappointed with the last X-wing designer interview I heard (I believe Scum and Villainy hosted it). It was an hour of business-speak, where they seemed to brush off a lot of concerns with the game. Their knowledge of the current state of the game was also pretty questionable.

At the very least this interview showed that Alex seems to have a pretty good understanding of where the games at, where it needs to go, and pitfalls to avoid. There is hope :D

21 minutes ago, CRCL said:

This was actually a really interesting interview to listen to. I was hugely disappointed with the last X-wing designer interview I heard (I believe Scum and Villainy hosted it). It was an hour of business-speak, where they seemed to brush off a lot of concerns with the game. Their knowledge of the current state of the game was also pretty questionable.

At the very least this interview showed that Alex seems to have a pretty good understanding of where the games at, where it needs to go, and pitfalls to avoid. There is hope :D

Agreed. I have more respect for Alex Davy after watching that interview. I appreciate many of the things he said, especially the need for rotation. I think they can implement that change as another format so players can play whichever kind of X-Wing they like. Great interview.

Alex is definitely the most articulate of the 3 designers :D 

He definitely understands the meta and how that warps the game whether you play competitively or not. I think that was the most impressive thing he said, in my mind.

He was also able to explain a lot of design decisions in a meaningful way for players to understand. The other 2, especially Frank; either don't bother, or can't articulate what they mean from a player standpoint.

Good interview, with what Alex said, and the contents of Wave 12/13, has instilled my hope for bigger and better things for X-wing in the future.

This interview is at least post the mega-nerf FAQ. So likely around a month old. That's not too bad considering their last X-wing interview they posted was some 3 months or so old and kind of irrelevant by the time it came out.

14 hours ago, BVRCH said:

Alex is definitely the most articulate of the 3 designers :D

After giving this interview a listen, I'd definitely concur wholeheartedly.

14 hours ago, Tbetts94 said:

Oh god, @Brunas and company now has Alex talking about agency.

@Brunas has everyone with their hands on this game talking about their agency or lack thereof.

14 hours ago, FlyingAnchors said:

Of course it would be a Krayt joke that ends up resulting in better game-play experience....:lol:

I would of thought that months and months ago. Despite the Krayt's ability to quickly illuminate and searingly brand the hottest new X-Wing anathema, they always find themselves fit to humorously clash said denoted abhorrence with unrelenting barrages of seemingly incongruous deduction and laden that concoction with apparent unsophisticated reasoning, all the while sprinkling their audience with unexpected yet prodigious amounts of unforeseen profitable prudence. They are the enjoyable enigma of X-Wing, if there ever was such a thing.

5 minutes ago, clanofwolves said:

After giving this interview a listen, I'd definitely concur wholeheartedly.

@Brunas has everyone with their hands on this game talking about their agency or lack thereof.

I would of thought that months and months ago. Despite the Krayt's ability to quickly illuminate and searingly brand the hottest new X-Wing anathema, they always find themselves fit to humorously clash said denoted abhorrence with unrelenting barrages of seemingly incongruous deduction and laden that concoction with apparent unsophisticated reasoning, all the while sprinkling their audience with unexpected yet prodigious amounts of unforeseen profitable prudence. They are the enjoyable enigma of X-Wing, if there ever was such a thing.

😭 BUT YOU LOOK LIKE YOU'RE PLAYING THE GAME 😭

25 minutes ago, RufusDaMan said:

I was really relieved about this guy, right until he started talking about rotations...

That spells sadly for a game where the most loved characters are the oldest ones.

I have to say its fascinating seeing people complain when the topic of rotation comes up, when obsolescence is basically the same thing and has been happening for ages.

Seriously look at the meta, with only a couple exceptions the meta is basically waves 7, 8, 9 & 11 only anyway, what would change so dramatically from the meta if waves 1-4 were rotated out? Virtually nothing!!!

I'm all for shaking up the meta anyways but don’t for 1 second think that a mild rotation of earlier waves would make any difference on the current meta since the last FAQ. Honestly the only pilots that see notable play from waves 1 - 6 are Biggs, Vader and Dash anyways (maybe RAC).

Edit: Probably more OGP now as well but you get the point.

Edited by Mace Windu

Just now, Mace Windu said:

I have to say its fascinating seeing people complain when the topic of rotation comes up, when obsolescence is basically the same thing and has been happening for ages.

Seriously look at the meta, with only a couple exceptions the meta is basically waves 7, 8, 9 & 11 only anyway, what would change so dramatically from the meta if waves 1-4 were rotated out? Virtually nothing!!!

I'm all for shaking up the meta anyways but don’t for 1 second think that a mild rotation of earlier waves would make any difference on the current meta since the last FAQ. Honestly the only pilots that see notable play from waves 1 - 6 are Biggs, Vader and Dash anyways (maybe RAC).

This game is mostly played for one reason. That reason its because Star Wars. Eventually the developers will run out of recognizable ships and pilots. I'm not sure this game would have as much of a following if it opened up with such memorable pilots as "Crimson Leader" or "Thweek".

People want their favorite characters. And for most, favorite character Rey is not. The game can either give it to them, or they will leave.

I don't think you need to be a business mastermind to realize Darth Vader will always be marketable. He has been for 40 years. You can either accept that, or let your business fail.

All this new trilogy fad will soon fade. I don't really see people wearing T-shirts with Anakin's face on it. I doubt Rey will be any different.

20 minutes ago, RufusDaMan said:

This game is mostly played for one reason. That reason its because Star Wars. Eventually the developers will run out of recognizable ships and pilots. I'm not sure this game would have as much of a following if it opened up with such memorable pilots as "Crimson Leader" or "Thweek".

People want their favorite characters. And for most, favorite character Rey is not. The game can either give it to them, or they will leave.

I don't think you need to be a business mastermind to realize Darth Vader will always be marketable. He has been for 40 years. You can either accept that, or let your business fail.

All this new trilogy fad will soon fade. I don't really see people wearing T-shirts with Anakin's face on it. I doubt Rey will be any different.

I think you're underestimating Rey's popularity by quite a bit, especially with the newer generation of fans. Saying that she is not a favorite character for "most" strikes me as pretty out of place.

1 minute ago, RufusDaMan said:

the reality is that rotation only ever impacts tournament play, and typically high level tournament play at that, the game is not marketed at grizzled tournament veterans, it is sold to Star Wars fans who can play with whatever ships they want at whatever points cost they want.

The reality though is that FFG and more to the point game stores cant accommodate an ever expanding product line (what are we up to like 60+ SKUs now?) FFG don't want ever expanding live stock lines and stores only have finite shelf space.

Rotation is the only method of keeping that in check if they keep insisting on making new waves, which they will.

Sure the new stuff might not appeal to you as your an OT Fan and that's fine, but expecting the likes of Rey, Finn & Kylo to not become the iconic Star Wars character of the newer generation of Fans is just silly, all the merchandise is based around them and everywhere I look I see far more cosplay of Kylo Ren than of Darth Vader.

Just now, Mace Windu said:

the reality is that rotation only ever impacts tournament play, and typically high level tournament play at that, the game is not marketed at grizzled tournament veterans, it is sold to Star Wars fans who can play with whatever ships they want at whatever points cost they want.

The reality though is that FFG and more to the point game stores cant accommodate an ever expanding product line (what are we up to like 60+ SKUs now?) FFG don't want ever expanding live stock lines and stores only have finite shelf space.

Rotation is the only method of keeping that in check if they keep insisting on making new waves, which they will.

Sure the new stuff might not appeal to you as your an OT Fan and that's fine, but expecting the likes of Rey, Finn & Kylo to not become the iconic Star Wars character of the newer generation of Fans is just silly, all the merchandise is based around them and everywhere I look I see far more cosplay of Kylo Ren than of Darth Vader.

Maybe for now. We'll see how long that lasts. In the time of prequels Maul was very popular. Not so much today.

5 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

I think you're underestimating Rey's popularity by quite a bit, especially with the newer generation of fans. Saying that she is not a favorite character for "most" strikes me as pretty out of place.

same with Kylo. My son loves Vader, but he is a huge fan of Kylo and Rey. He's only 4, but since he was 2 he has been in love with Vader, Kylo, BB8, R2D2. Only very recently starting to like Rey, Leia, and Obi Wan. 

side note, its funny after watching the original trilogy with him, because to him Vader is the hero, and the three movies are all about Vader... all I can say is, he's not wrong.

side note 2: I spit a bit when Alex mentioned Agency. That made me giggle pretty good. Good job Kryats. 

Rotation would only be unfortunate if they never reached back and corrected previous wrongs. Rotation could very well mean a better Ten Numb, Arvel, Winged Gundark, and so forth.

if they didn’t go back though and ever bring us new and better versions of those old cards, or, alternatively, did not allow those old cards to be used as stand ins for their new self? Then I think you’d have reason to be a little upset.

And although i don’t enjoy the idea of  old cards/ships becoming competitively obsolete to the fullest extent, I’m sure most of us would live if we had to buy a new set for updated characters.