Sign in to follow this  
Smashotron

Heart of the Empire - Story Progression?

After the introduction for HotE, it is possible that three Story missions (let's say, A, B, and C) are added into play. Eventually, my Rebels played one of those Story missions (C). At the end of the mission, they were required to pick one of two new Story missions (D or E) to put into play. 

The Rebels are under the impression that once they pick D or E, we would discard the previously un-played Story missions (A and B). There are no instructions to discard Story missions so I get the impression that they'll still have three Story missions in play; A, B, and D/E. They would then select one of those as normal when the next Story mission comes up.

For anyone that has tried HotE already, what is the proper process? This is my first time as IP and, per the HotE rules, I cannot read ahead to see if any future missions provide some clarity here. My Rebels are concerned that the missions are a chronological story and that choosing an older mission (A or B) would be out of sync. Anyone have any insight here?

Edited by Smashotron
Grammartrooper

No, you forego the missions you don't choose as each choice leads you down a specific story path (that way, the next time you play through the campaign you can, by simply leaving out the missions that were picked last time, get a completely different game experience).

Ah okay, did I miss something in the HotE or Core rules? Since the other Side mission remains in play when you choose one of two Side missions, I thought maybe the same applied to the Story missions. It was my logic that they have all these leads they need to chase down and they only have X Story mission slots to resolve these missions in.

No, you didn't miss anything :) According to rules wizard a1bert, to whom one is well adviced to listen, it was an omission in the HotE rules. Also, you'd quickly get into a story-loop if you kept playing every missions that comes up. Had it been intended that you should track down every clue (i.e. play all the missions that come into play) the campaign log would've had to been much much longer. So no, there are basically 3 story trees in this campaign, so you can play the Heart of the Empire mystery 3 times without going over the same ground twice (actually, you would have to play the opening story each time and there are, for some reason, only 2 possible endings, which is a bit annoying, really).

Edited by angelman2

2 minutes ago, Smashotron said:

Okay thanks! Score another one for those filthy Rebels!

No problem :) I wondered about the exact same thing when I started HotE.

Just out of curiosity, which heroes and Imp class deck do you use? (We're husing Heroic Diala & Drokkatta, and Power of the Dark Side class deck)

Edited by angelman2

5 hours ago, angelman2 said:

No problem :) I wondered about the exact same thing when I started HotE.

Just out of curiosity, which heroes and Imp class deck do you use? (We're husing Heroic Diala & Drokkatta, and Power of the Dark Side class deck)

I am running Nemeses and struggling. They are running Jarrod, Drokkatta, Kotun, and Loku. 

20 hours ago, angelman2 said:

No, you didn't miss anything :) According to rules wizard a1bert, to whom one is well adviced to listen, it was an omission in the HotE rules. Also, you'd quickly get into a story-loop if you kept playing every missions that comes up. Had it been intended that you should track down every clue (i.e. play all the missions that come into play) the campaign log would've had to been much much longer. So no, there are basically 3 story trees in this campaign, so you can play the Heart of the Empire mystery 3 times without going over the same ground twice (actually, you would have to play the opening story each time and there are, for some reason, only 2 possible endings, which is a bit annoying, really).

Does the final missions favor IP o Heroes? (i.e. final missions in core are pretty easy for IP)

4 hours ago, Eyfrosyne said:

Does the final missions favor IP o Heroes? (i.e. final missions in core are pretty easy for IP)

I don't know. I haven't played any of them yet (and you aren't supposed to read ahead in that campaign)

On 12/5/2017 at 9:04 PM, Smashotron said:

I am running Nemeses and struggling. They are running Jarrod, Drokkatta, Kotun, and Loku. 

Jarrod with a kitted out JAX and Polearm is pretty beastly. Drokkatta and Ko-Tun are great as well. I'm finding that mix to be particularly troublesome (although we played Drokkatta wrong for the first half of the campaign).

So far, we're 3 to 1 in the Rebels favor... I'm playing Reactive defenses and they have Vinto to round out their 4th.

2 hours ago, Smashotron said:

What is the correct way to play Drokkatta? Because it is still an issue of contention for us.

Wording on the card should be Drokkatta can use Demolish "once per your activation". Otherwise, it is stupid powerful. 

Edited by thanebot

14 hours ago, Smashotron said:

That's what I told my players but, like I said, great debates were had. We settled on "once per Rebel activation" which is still bull IMO.

Hm... we've been playing this to mean "Limited once per (Drokkatta's) activation" and it's still pretty deadly.

We just finished the campaign today. Rebels ended up winning every mission with jarrod, ko-tun, onar and loku against reactive defenses.

Jarrod got quite good, especially after winning his reward card for Jax. We really enjoyed the power tokens with Ko-Tun. Onar got quite tanky by the end and loku dealt quality damage but was clearly less powerful than some of the other marksman type characters.

That being said - all the story missions and finale were fairly competitive with a couple rolls going the other way potentially changing the win total drastically.

Overall the campaign felt more balanced than most. The one weird part was that there was very little influence available for the imperial player even if he had been winning the missions. But it seemed like there were far more initial and reserved groups in play as far as points go.

Story wise it was probably my favorite campaign so far. We’re diving into the app next and looking forward to the next physical expansion announcement.

Edited by Mattdj2002
Added a bit

On 12/8/2017 at 10:51 AM, Smashotron said:

Terro and Greedo. I don't think I nailed the Agenda deck, but also not earning a lot of influence anyway.

A good XP build for those 2 would be Ringleader, Leave Them to Me, Prepare the Ambush, and Indomitable. Rely on Greedo early on (hopefully they have some melee heroes for you to pick on) and then once you've gotten to Leave Them to Me you should be able to deploy Terro for free and still get value out of him on the turn he comes down using Ringleader. Indomitable will help Terro stay alive in the late campaign against super powered heroes, and Prepare the Ambush will give him the MP needed along with Ringleader to be able to Attack and Flamethrower in the same turn.