TheMan72344

What to expect in the future?

I know FFG doesn't talk about future products, but it would be nice to have some insight as to where this game is going.

Can we expect only setting books to support Genesys, or more tool kits to expand on what's in the core book?

One of my favorite things about Savage Worlds is that along with setting specific books they also have their "Companion" line of books which go into greater detail with regards to specific genre's. This is how I would love to see Genesys move forward. Give me a fantasy book, sci-fi book, supers, etc.

What does everyone else think? Also, has there been any details on what shape further support for Genesys will take?

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I've been waiting with baited breath for months for this book, and now that I have it, I find myself asking "Now What"?

This is one thing that I really dislike about FFG. I think it would have made this product so much better if they had announced maybe just a few more products coming rather than just the one book.

There isn't any reason for more Genesys Rulesbooks/Sourcebooks. So the only logical idea is to branch into various Setting Books and go nuts there. 

For Example: Terrinoth (Runebound). A setting book explaining all the add on and changes to the Genesys core book along with basic setting info and character creation info would be first. Then, Territory Books explaining parts of the world and career books expanding player choices would follow. And naturally, Adventure Books mixed in. Very much like the Star Wars line. But now multiply this across a number of settings.

Looking at the amount of detail in their pre-generated Terrinoth character sheets from their Gen Con adventure that are not in the core book (especially the signature abilities) show that they've put a lot more work into that setting than we've seen so far, so it seems likely that would be the first setting supplement.

Setting books are fine, but I think there is, and should be, room for genre focused books that are not tied to a specific setting.

From what I've read Genesys is a great overview of how to use the system to play whatever you want, but books that really get in to a genre and offers was to use it to achieve a desired effect would be very beneficial. There is a lot of fantasy related content, for example, that isn't covered in the core rule book, and I personally don't want to have to buy a book for a setting that doesn't interest me just to get more fantasy content. Plus then I would have to take the time to divorce the setting from the content I want to use. Now, could I create everything that I want with the tools provided in the core rule book, maybe, but I'm not that confident in my skills as a game designer. Besides having more examples would certainly help me in that endeavor.

Edited by TheMan72344

The one-two punch of saying "here's the core" and "here's a fully fleshed out example of how you can apply it"  would have been ideal.  There are folks who have the time to build a setting from scratch (I'm going to try) and then there are folks that can extrapolate from existing ideas when they have them, or simply purchase a setting.  Those folks may not find Genesys meets their needs until they release such content.

I think Terrinoth makes the most sense for their first setting, although Android might be a little further along since they've already produced a "world" book of sorts.  Either would be far better than none.

We can expect them to make setting books for each example setting they give in the core book. That means Runebound (Fantasy), Android (Sci-Fi), Twilight Imperium (Space Opera), the Steampunk one, and the Weird War one. That’s five setting books for starters, and after that we might see some “tone” books for things like Arkham Horror and superheroes. 

23 minutes ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

That’s five setting books for starters

Well, not really for starters, since they aren't out yet and there's no ballpark idea of when they'll appear.  I hope they're not basing their first setting deadline on how well Genesys sells, because there's more than a small measure of cause and effect to that.

3 minutes ago, Dragonshadow said:

Well, not really for starters, since they aren't out yet and there's no ballpark idea of when they'll appear.  I hope they're not basing their first setting deadline on how well Genesys sells, because there's more than a small measure of cause and effect to that.

By “starters”, all I meant is that they are most likely going to be the first Genesys books to come out after the core. I am well aware that they are not out yet and we don’t know when they will be.

I'd like to see a single book of adversaries. Sure they could be included in the specific setting/genre books, but as GM I like having everything together in one place (which is probably my only complaint about how the Genesys book is laid out) for ease of reference. 

They are crazy not to leverage their IP, setting books for those three mentioned are really a sure bet. I think a better question is; how many books do we get for each IP? I have no clue, personally I would prefer one large book for each, 120+ pages at least.

But for me that’s not the best way they could do things, it limits the scope of new rules introduced in that setting to fit that particular IP. Magic in a Runebound book will be tailored to Terrinoth. But a generic “Magic” book would have many more pages available for the different tones that magic can take. Just at a basic level there are settings where magic is extremely dangerous, fueled by chaos and wants only to destroy you. But there’s also settings where magic is common place and everyone has an ability or expectation that it’s available and safe.

So I would like to see Setting books that are similar to the Region books of Star Wars. They introduce new species options, new gear, new NPC’s, a defined skill list and Talents that are themed, then a mountain of world details with some modular encounters. But the idea would be keeping the additional new rules light, just building upon the core book.

Then I would like “mechanical” books, books that bring new mechanics to the game or enhance existing systems. Magic is an obvious one, but also there could be: a Supers book, a Tech/Cybernetic book, a Crafting book, a business/base/building owners book, a Social book, an Advanced Combat book and a Heroic book. Heck there could be entire books devoted to Tones both existing and new.

Edit: considering how quickly it sold out there’s at least interest in the game. But a lot of the sales could be from Star Wars players looking for an updated rules system to use, the supplements books may not sell quite as well. 

Edited by Richardbuxton

13 hours ago, Cyvaris said:

I'd like to see a single book of adversaries. Sure they could be included in the specific setting/genre books, but as GM I like having everything together in one place (which is probably my only complaint about how the Genesys book is laid out) for ease of reference. 

Adversary decks for the different settings, like the ones from Star Wars, rather. 

I'm kind of surprised that they didnt launch with at least one setting book right out of the gate. While it's not my particular bag, I'd imagine that your generic Conan D&D fantasy setting would move units and establish the line a bit more. "Hey, here's what the range will look like from this point forward, what you can expect from a typical book".

Ah well, not my company. I assume the marketing department knows what it's doing.

I don't believe any of the core SW books and a sourcebook were released in the same month. I don't recall exactly, but I don't think Edge launched and career books were announced right from go.

Android is easy. World of Android is all the fluff you need, and they included hacking in Genesys.

1 hour ago, 2P51 said:

I don't believe any of the core SW books and a sourcebook were released in the same month. I don't recall exactly, but I don't think Edge launched and career books were announced right from go.

Android is easy. World of Android is all the fluff you need, and they included hacking in Genesys.

The three core SW books give you everything you need in one package to get started: setting specific rules, a bestiary, species, locations.  The sourcebooks are extensions and are not necessary.

Genesys is a skeleton.  A strong one.  Solid, flexible, and ready for whatever meat gets added by a given group.  But it would be tough to run much of a game with what's there unless you already have an agnostic setting sourcebook that you can apply to it, and then I'd have a hard time believing you could do so without modding the rules in exactly the ways the CRB itself tells you it needs to be modded.

tl;dr: Genesys isn't even the same kind of product as any of the three core SW books.

Edit: you might be right with Android.  I haven't seen the world book, but the stuff included in the Genesys sci-fi is some of the best in the book, so maybe it really is nearly "ready to play" in that regard.  Odd to start with cyberpunk, but I guess it's something.

Edited by Dragonshadow

Regardless of what FFG decides, specifically, to produce, I think they need to come out and say what shape further support will take for Genesys. It was easy with Star Wars, everyone knew we were going to get more Star Wars books, but with something like Genesys where future support could take any number of routes, the fan base deserves to know where the product is heading.

Speaking just for myself, for whatever that's worth, I can say if I have nothing to look forward to then I have no reason to include Genesys products in my RPG budget. I will use the book I bought, and probably enjoy it, but the odds of me hoarding my money for something completely unknown are slim at best.

I would say it doesn't even have to be specific. A simple statement letting us know, "Hey, we're going to explore our established IP's using Genesys as the backbone." would be more than enough for me to make a decision on continuing to put money aside to purchase products.

BUT, if they were to say something to the effect of "We plan to continue to provide more building blocks in future products in order to give you as much as we can to run anything you can think up." Then I will make sure to keep $50 on hand for next release.

Edited by TheMan72344

1 hour ago, Dragonshadow said:

The three core SW books give you everything you need in one package to get started: setting specific rules, a bestiary, species, locations.  The sourcebooks are extensions and are not necessary.

Genesys is a skeleton.  A strong one.  Solid, flexible, and ready for whatever meat gets added by a given group.  But it would be tough to run much of a game with what's there unless you already have an agnostic setting sourcebook that you can apply to it, and then I'd have a hard time believing you could do so without modding the rules in exactly the ways the CRB itself tells you it needs to be modded.

tl;dr: Genesys isn't even the same kind of product as any of the three core SW books.

Edit: you might be right with Android.  I haven't seen the world book, but the stuff included in the Genesys sci-fi is some of the best in the book, so maybe it really is nearly "ready to play" in that regard.  Odd to start with cyberpunk, but I guess it's something.

I know what's in the star wars core books, that wasn't my point. My point was they didn't announce their product development line in total at launch.

10 hours ago, Grimmerling said:

Adversary decks for the different settings, like the ones from Star Wars, rather. 

I forgot that FFG does cards instead of books. A Fantasy RPG isn't really "complete" without a Monster Manual though, so that setting at least should get a full book. 

Speaking of adversary decks, anyone have a good tool to make adversary cards? I might be planning some major conversions. 

Edited by Cyvaris

11 minutes ago, Cyvaris said:

I forgot that FFG does cards instead of books. A Fantasy RPG isn't really "complete" without a Monster Manual though, so that setting at least should get a full book. 

Speaking of adversary decks, anyone have a good tool to make adversary cards? I might be planning some major conversions. 

I feel ya, but as a GM I prefer cards. I can pick out what I need for a session and not have to write stuff down, page flip, have yet another book on the table.

"Tear out pages" wheew mate, probably would've a heart attack if someone did that to one of my books.  Although I myself prefer both since books allow some flavor text and data over which that would be solved in the settings books, unless FFG sees a really high demand for an amalgamated Monster manual for multiple settings.  Until then I would think the adversary decks seem to be a better idea, and more cost effective.