Sign in to follow this  
gdotbat

Why no Horror/Arkham setting?

I know there's the section on Horror as a Tone, but i am wondering why it didn't get a Setting? And why there's no mention of a Arkham/Lovecraftian setting. 

Does Chaosium have a lock on all things Lovcraftian in the RPG space?

4 minutes ago, gdotbat said:

I know there's the section on Horror as a Tone, but i am wondering why it didn't get a Setting? And why there's no mention of a Arkham/Lovecraftian setting. 

What is it about Weird War or Modern, with the Horror Tone, that gets it wrong?

I’ve mentioned before, I suspect FFG wants to avoid any  genesys releases for properties that they don’t fully own outright. Even though much of lovecrafts work is (or should be) public domain, because his stuff has been added to for decades it makes for some legally murky areas. Whether or not they "could" produce such stuff for genesys right away, I suspect they won’t, at least until the game is firmly established as its own brand, just for simplicities sake, if nothing else. This is why I don’t expect any Arkham material for a while and why I never expected L5R to be included either. 

22 minutes ago, Endersai said:

What is it about Weird War or Modern, with the Horror Tone, that gets it wrong?

I never said its wrong, I just feel it deserves its own setting. I was more puzzled by the fact that they explicitly give examples of settings using their own games like Tannhauser, TI, Runebound etc., but nothing mentioned of Arkham Horror.

Forgottenlores speculation is sufficient for me though. Makes sense.

Also, I just absolutely love all things Lovecraft, and while CoC is exceptional, especially 7th Ed, I am truly sold on the Genesys system (since EotE really), hook, line and sinker, and it is unlikely I will be playing any other RPG system in the near future. So I am really, really hoping for an Arkahm Horror setting book.

6 hours ago, gdotbat said:

Lovecraft's Cthulhu material is in the public domain. There are also about a dozen Cthulhu based RPG's that I have seen that are not by Chaosium. Off the top of my head:

Cthulhutech
Yellow Dawn
Realms of Cthulhu (Savage Worlds)
De Profundis
Achtung Cthulhu
Dark Streets
Cthonian Highway
Pokethulhu (Pokeman Cthulhu mashup) - I choose you, Pikathulhu!

Current copyright state of cthulhu mythos is a bit murky AFAIK. All (?) stuff that came directly from Lovecraft is public domain, but some later author stuff is still copyrighted. But even this is a bit unclear. Derleth estate has claimed they own all Lovecrafts work, but it is unclear how correct that is (1). And Chaosium has AFAIK created moderate amount of known mythos, which definitely is copyrighted.

As FFG has AHLCG, they probably know what can be used, and probably have a good reason not to include Cthulhu mythos as example. Maybe they don't want to step on Chaosium's area, as Call of Cthulhu is RPG, so AHLCG is not direct competitor for, but RPG would be. Maybe FFG thinks Genesys system wouldn't be good for Lovecraftian horror. Maybe they think Mythos is too esoteric to be interesting for wider audience. I guess we won't know it soon.

Personally I'd don't care very much genesys lovecraftian setting. For me, Cthulhu Dark is the ultimate lovecraftian RPG. But that's just me.

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._P._Lovecraft#Copyright

4 hours ago, Wandering Terä Käsi Artist said:

The accessibility of military grade weapons that make the "Horrors" into cannon fodder most of the time thus diluting the horror aspect since it can be turned into Swiss cheese? 

How often do Lovecraftian protagonists get access to military-grade weapons? The only story that comes to mind is the end of "Shadow Over Innsmouth" and (for a rather lax definition of "military-grade") "The Horror at Red Hook."

Almost never since in most cases either people aren't avid gun owners, aren't armed up to the "ion port" in with guns and blades, or simply are civilians caught in horrible situations, and even then in most non Lovecraftian horror usually the "elite"armed forces get butchered like a plate of fine cheese gets devoured by a hungry fat man who was forced on a 1 year cheese free diet.

So it kinda feels moot since in horror the hero isn't Rambo, but Joe the Librarian.

6 hours ago, Wandering Terä Käsi Artist said:

The accessibility of military grade weapons that make the "Horrors" into cannon fodder most of the time thus diluting the horror aspect since it can be turned into Swiss cheese? 

So if your GM is that terrible then no setting will suffice. And any GM letting people get those weapons is terrible.

The light handgun would handily represent a revolver. And you just need to bump the rarity if your GM is that awful so it's harder to find them.

I mean why not complain that the players could aquire the air superiority fighter on page 231 and unleash **** on monsters that way?