Celestial Lizards

Into The Night: The TIE Phantom and it's place today

So after modding my TIE Phantom model, I want to use it a lot more. I don't really know any good or unique builds besides the VI-ACD-FCS-RS Whisper. The TIE Phantom, while it has very little health, could be a real powerhouse with the (TIE mk II-enhanced) dial, 4 attack dice, and cool pilots. What place does it have, and what are some fun and effective?

Link to the model: 

oVBrwPP.jpg

Edited by Celestial Lizards

I wonder if a minor rules change would be a good thing to help the Phantom, and cloaked ships in general:

"Discard all Target Lock tokens when you are assigned a Cloak token. You cannot be assigned Target Locks while you have a Cloak token."

On the one hand, it would give them protection against things like missiles and torpedoes. On the other hand, it would also be a nerf because it would kill the FCS/ACD combo. However, it feels fitting for a cloaking device mechanic to interfere with targeting. If you can't tell a ship is there, then how are your Long-Range Scanners picking up and maintaining a lock on it?

There is so much PS9+ stuff in the game now that you pretty much have to use Phantoms with ISTDs or Decoy. Traditional Rac/lo VI whisper still definitely works. 

Some workable Decoy stuff to with enough PS10-11 on the table for Whisper or Echo to reliably shoot first.

"Echo" — TIE Phantom 30
Decoy 2
Fire-Control System 2
Intelligence Agent 1
Advanced Cloaking Device 4
Ship Total: 39

"Quickdraw" — TIE/sf Fighter 29
Veteran Instincts 1
Fire-Control System 2
Lightweight Frame 2
Special Ops Training 0
Ship Total: 34

"Duchess" — TIE Striker 23
Veteran Instincts 1
Lightweight Frame 2
Adaptive Ailerons 0
Ship Total: 26

Or something like this...

"Echo" — TIE Phantom 30
Decoy 2
Fire-Control System 2
Advanced Cloaking Device 4
Ship Total: 38

Rear Admiral Chiraneau — VT-49 Decimator 46
Veteran Instincts 1
Emperor Palpatine 8
Kylo Ren 3
Engine Upgrade 4
Ship Total: 62

Edited by Boom Owl

6 hours ago, Icelom said:

I have tried echo with lightweight frame and was very pleased with the result.

Why!?! Stygium is so much better agenced small numbers of ships evade > die and you should be cloaking/decloaking oftan and it's the same price

7 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

I wonder if a minor rules change would be a good thing to help the Phantom, and cloaked ships in general:

"Discard all Target Lock tokens when you are assigned a Cloak token. You cannot be assigned Target Locks while you have a Cloak token."

On the one hand, it would give them protection against things like missiles and torpedoes. On the other hand, it would also be a nerf because it would kill the FCS/ACD combo. However, it feels fitting for a cloaking device mechanic to interfere with targeting. If you can't tell a ship is there, then how are your Long-Range Scanners picking up and maintaining a lock on it?

That is quite a huge nerf. A Phantom's offense is pretty mediocre without FCS. Nobody would play them because not only are there so many counters already, but now they don't do enough damage to be worth that investment.

1 hour ago, mad mandolorian said:

Why!?! Stygium is so much better agenced small numbers of ships evade > die and you should be cloaking/decloaking oftan and it's the same price

Because some times I want to shoot multiple turns in a row, further it's not unheard of locally to see something other then 2 ship lists. And with a bunch of shots potentially incoming the die is more valuable. But mostly if I am cloacking every second turn I am not really doing as much damage as I need my 4 dice ship to do.

8 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

Perhaps instead, it should be, discard all red target locks. the stygium cloaking effect was only one way - your scopes could still work, but no one elses could see you.

8 hours ago, LagJanson said:

I like to drop a lot of generics on the table and watch those with two ship lists rethink their stratgies in a panic.

4 4-dice ships should cause a huge amount of grief and heartache but I'd be worried they'd go 'pop' too quickly. 

I guess they're no more fragile than a TIE striker, but even then, the striker has lightweight frame and an extra ship on its side.

What sort of games have you had with them?

1 hour ago, Infinite_Maelstrom said:

Perhaps instead, it should be, discard all red target locks. the stygium cloaking effect was only one way - your scopes could still work, but no one elses could see you.

I'm liking the idea of not being able to lock on to a cloaked ship. In Star Trek, they often cannot get a direct fix for torps and have to guess with their primaries in order to strike (until Spock and Bones essentially "deadeye" a torp) so it feels thematic in that sense. I don't think it should mess up the Phantom's targeting as they are the one's cloaked. 

Maybe, it should be something like "When you are assigned a cloak token, remove all red target lock tokens assigned to your ship" This way, you can still get locked during the phase but lose it if the ship vanishes. 

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

4 4-dice ships should cause a huge amount of grief and heartache but I'd be worried they'd go 'pop' too quickly. 

I guess they're no more fragile than a TIE striker, but even then, the striker has lightweight frame and an extra ship on its side.

What sort of games have you had with them?

It's not a list I'd take hoping to win a big event. They do tend to pop. Did beat Asajj/Fenn/Serrisu, Rey/Poe, and I was giving FSR2 a headache till I underestimated it's ability to turn around.

Random 4+ ships are a terrible match up.

Still, the yatzee dice wall is fun to play. It's very fast on the board so you dictate where the fight will be and when it wins the game is over very quick.

7 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

It's not a list I'd take hoping to win a big event. They do tend to pop. Did beat Asajj/Fenn/Serrisu, Rey/Poe, and I was giving FSR2 a headache till I underestimated it's ability to turn around.

Still, the yatzee dice wall is fun to play. It's very fast on the board so you dictate where the fight will be and when it wins the game is over very quick.

My main squad recently has been 5 Scarif Defender Strikers, so fast-round-the-board generics is something I can get behind. I get the 'yahtzee' comment, though - I'm not sure I have confidence in that many unmodified dice...

16 minutes ago, LagJanson said:

So should I get 4 Phantoms now?

Major Vynder — Alpha-class Star Wing 26
Debris Gambit 2
Heavy Laser Cannon 7
Jamming Beam 1
XG-1 Assault Configuration 1
Ship Total: 37

"Whisper" — TIE Phantom 32
Veteran Instincts 1
Advanced Sensors 3
Mara Jade 3
Stygium Particle Accelerator 2
Ship Total: 41

Gamma Squadron Veteran — TIE Bomber 19
Kylo Ren 3
TIE Shuttle 0
Ship Total: 22

Whisper's buzzing around passing out stress, Kylo supporting when needed, and Vynder bringing pain.

18 minutes ago, Celestial Lizards said:
Major Vynder — Alpha-class Star Wing 26
Debris Gambit 2
Heavy Laser Cannon 7
Jamming Beam 1
XG-1 Assault Configuration 1
Ship Total: 37

"Whisper" — TIE Phantom 32
Veteran Instincts 1
Advanced Sensors 3
Mara Jade 3
Stygium Particle Accelerator 2
Ship Total: 41

Gamma Squadron Veteran — TIE Bomber 19
Kylo Ren 3
TIE Shuttle 0
Ship Total: 22

Whisper's buzzing around passing out stress, Kylo supporting when needed, and Vynder bringing pain.

Looks like fun, but even in the fun-to-challenging meta that is and is to come, you'll probably rather have Agent Kallus on Whisper, then you can add Intelligence Agent to run with Kylo; it helps my friend.

Edited by clanofwolves