The Grand Falloon

Getting started. Step 2?

Okay, I've got my Force Awakens Core set, and I picked up an A-Wing and TIE Advanced Prototype on a whim.  What's a good direction to go for a new player?  From what I understand, turrets are all the rage these days, but I love me some TIEs.  I've been eyeing the Imperial Aces set rather greedily, is that a good way to go, or are most of the early ships badly overshadowed by all the newer, shinier things?  If you were just getting started, what would be a decent, cheap squad that you would build?

If you're a Rebel leaning player, a decent expansion is the Heroes of the Resistance. You get the Rey Pilot/Rey Crew and a healthy dose of T-70 pilots as well. Fairly fun yet solid lists could be built from those. The Wookie/Auzituk gunship is easy to fly and very durable. It's like half a Falcon with it's 180 degree arc.

The TAP is a good little ship. Imperial recommendations are typically the TIE f/o expansion (for Omega Leader--difficult to kill in the end game), and the Imperial Veterans, mostly for the TIE Defender (Ryad in paraticular and the X7 & TIE/D titles). The TIE Aggressor isn't a bad ship either (has the only Imperial turret on a small base ship) and one of my favorites is the TIE Striker: highly mobile and squirrely, but it may take some getting used to.

And how could I forget the TIE s/f? Front and rear arcs, durable, and great pilot abilities on the the two named pilots.

Edited by Force Majeure

50 minutes ago, The Grand Falloon said:

Okay, I've got my Force Awakens Core set, and I picked up an A-Wing and TIE Advanced Prototype on a whim.  What's a good direction to go for a new player?  From what I understand, turrets are all the rage these days, but I love me some TIEs.  I've been eyeing the Imperial Aces set rather greedily, is that a good way to go, or are most of the early ships badly overshadowed by all the newer, shinier things?  If you were just getting started, what would be a decent, cheap squad that you would build?

TIE fighters??  For Imperial fun and glory here's how I'd rank them:

TIE Defender.  Solid all around performer.

TAP:  A great ship that still feels like what it should be like to fly a TIE fighter.

TIE/sf:  Also a great ship with a rear arc for extra hijinx.

TIE Striker:  The "new TIE Phantom."  Repositioning hijinx without the cloaking.

TIE/ag:  TLT platform.  Kinda not much else.

TIE Bomber:  A good missile boat for alpha strikes, but ironically, not a bomber.

TIE/ln.  The classic swarmer, but kinda struggling right now.

TIE/FO.  The classic swarmer with an extra shield, but kinda struggling right now, except for Omega Ace.

TIE Interceptor.  The classic arc dodger, but kinda struggling right now.

TIE Phantom.  The stealth ship whose glory days are past, but still good.

TIE Punisher.  Ugh.

TIE Silencer:  Open for debate, but likely to head to the top of the list.

Edited by Darth Meanie

For Rebels:

Heroes of the Resistance: More pilots for the T70 you already got (plus another T70 to use), Rey pilot is great, lots of juicy cards
Rebel Aces: Since you already got an Awing, its nothing compared to an Awing utilizing the title in this box. Green Wings are quite common (Green Squadron, ps3 generic)
I would recommend the ARC170 but i honestly cant remember if its any good without a lot of cards from other boxes. @ficklegreendice comment on that one?

For Imperials:
Veterans box, not aces. The aces box is kinda rendered useless unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing thanks to the tons of bombs, auto damage, and plethora of high PS floating around. Veterans however is devious as it makes Defenders pretty nasty and the bomber stuff is fun to mess with.
If you get veterans i'd suggest grabbing a standalone Defender too (rest of the pilots and 2nd ship)
Striker (or two). They can be difficult to fly at first, but theyre very good/cheap ships that have a mild degree of on-the-fly change in plans (they have a pre-dial maneuver they must do, it can be used to sometimes completely change where you were going on the fly)
If you buy Heroes of the Resistance, the TIE/SF is a good buy. If you didnt, dont bother theyre not that great w/o the techs from that box.
And of course when its released this week the mighty GUNBOAT!

If your focused on Imperials, Personally Interceptors are my favorite ship... so Id say yes to Aces....however if your going to try and win tournaments and such Interceptors are not really the direction Id go. I love em, but just so hard with only 3 health

Veterans gives you Great flying Defenders

Decimator is fun large ship to fly around, and has some tricks up its sleeve

I have Very High hopes for Silencer being released

If you relish the look of the Imperial Aces ships, I'd say go for them (it's what I did, too). Just be aware that:

1. They may be a little challenging to learn how to fly (they don't have many hp, so they rely on positioning and defensive tokens to stay alive);

2. Their best pilot comes in the standalone TIE Interceptor pack, and one of their staple upgrades (Autothrusters) comes with the StarViper and TIE Silencer (the latter is not a problem if you proxy). The only really worthwhile pilot in the set is Carnor Jax; the other named pilots all have significant problems that make them fairly unplayable;

3. They are heavily unfavoured in the current meta, specifically against bombs and high-Pilot-Skill pilots. Don't take them to any sort of tournament.

However, they're possibly the best-looking ships in the game, depending on taste, and they have a very fun and different playstyle (shared by your Inquisitor).

Edited by TheHumanHydra

5 minutes ago, FlybyDangerzone said:

if your going to try and win tournaments...

Heh. Not likely.  I'm quite sure most of my games will be against a friend or two, with perhaps occasional bouts against strangers in the game shop.  A tournament might be fun, but I'm not especially competitive and won't be buying all the sets or anything, so I would mostly want to make a decent showing.

Of course, it would be pretty slick to win a tournament with 7 Academy Pilots and Backstabber...

ARCs need, at bare minimum r2d2 and ptl to run Norra, so he'd need the other core. 

Braylen is r3a2 gunner which are in more expensive expacs 

But yeah, if you like TIEs get an FO and imp vets

You can fly 3 FOs and an x7 for no further investment 

(Crack x7 Steele

Juke Relay Omega leader

Wired weaponsguidance zeta leader

Epsilon Ace)

Imp aces are pretty awful, as is the TIE interceptor outside soontir 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Proxy any cards you need to make things work if you don't want to buy to much to soon. 

Use this site https://xws-bench.github.io/bench/ to mess around with a bunch of different lists.

Doesn't have all the waves but it has more than enough to get you familiar and comfortable with lots of game mechanics very quickly.

X-Wing is a fun simple game. Pew Pew Pew. 

Buy the cool ships :)

(Hint: Imperial ) 

Edited by Boom Owl

41 minutes ago, TheHumanHydra said:

If you relish the look of the Imperial Aces ships, I'd say go for them (it's what I did, too). Just be aware that:

1. They may be a little challenging to learn how to fly (they don't have many hp, so they rely on positioning and defensive tokens to stay alive);

2. Their best pilot comes in the standalone TIE Interceptor pack, and one of their staple upgrades (Autothrusters) comes with the StarViper and TIE Silencer (the latter is not a problem if you proxy). The only really worthwhile pilot in the set is Carnor Jax; the other named pilots all have significant problems that make them fairly unplayable;

3. They are heavily unfavoured in the current meta, specifically against bombs and high-Pilot-Skill pilots. Don't take them to any sort of tournament.

However, they're possibly the best-looking ships in the game, depending on taste, and they have a very fun and different playstyle (shared by your Inquisitor).

Yep.  Squints are my favorite, but. . . all of the above is true.

48 minutes ago, Rouge Five said:

I think the best advice I ever heard for this phase of the game is to buy ships that you enjoyed from the movies. Go for Ace packs over single packs.

If you're looking to go the tournament route, then the above suggestions are good.

Buy what you like.  And just as a point of reference, I am casual only, but would still rank those TIEs that way.

34 minutes ago, The Grand Falloon said:

Of course, it would be pretty slick to win a tournament with 7 Academy Pilots and Backstabber...

Oh, you can.  Back in 2013.

16 minutes ago, Celestial Lizards said:

You mean OL, ZL, and EA? 

EA as in Epsilon Ace, not that despicable gaming company.

What??

Welcome to x-wing! Before you make more purchases, ask yourself the following question....

”What do I want to get out of this game?”

if you are looking for a competitive event where you go to play strangers (some of whom will become new friends) and the end goal is to win, you should look at something like List Juggler and see which ships and pilots are doing well, then buy the ones from the faction you like best.

if you are looking for a thematic Star Wars game and just want to play with your friends (or meeting new friends at the game store), then go out and look for the ships that just speak to you. What faction do you want the experience of flying for, and what ships do you love most? Get those if this is your goal.

some basic recommendations I can put forward that go either path are “heroes of the resistance” for the rebels - you get an ep7 updated falcon and another t70 with a better Poe pilot plus some fun other pilots. If you’re a fan of the tv show Rebels, you have to get the Ghost because it’s so much fun. The tie FO expansion is a solid pick either for bulking up your ties or for having the pocket ace Omega Leader. Imperial veterans is pretty neat if you like different ties.

Heroes of the resistance without doubt. But for the Imps (First Order really) I´ d  go with the TIE FO expansion and Kylo Ren´ s TIE Silencer. You´ll have very thematic battles, and you´ll have a great selection of upgrades, including autothrusters - which are great for elite T-70s and the Inquisitor as well as Kylo.

Have fun!

3 hours ago, Toph said:

I would recommend buying the other core set next. It has the best cost to"stuff"ratio. You get dice, templates, and ships for a good price

And you will want more than 3 dice, so you may as well get the rest to boot.  The ships do work out cheaper that way, too.

Everything. Buy everything.

I started where you're at now "I'll just get the core and a couple ships for good measure".

You do that... but then you'll be all "okay, maybe a few more for a more varied team... and of course I need to have both sides even! I'll just get a few that look cool... but not scum. This will stay Rebel and Imperial!"

And you do that. Then you buy a play mat... and the one next to it. You know, just in case you feel like you might try an Epic game!

So, now you buy a couple Epic ships... but not scum.

Now you have both factions loaded up... but you want more... so, scum. You load up on scum! Now, the itch is satisfied...

Or so you think! On the horizon, there's always more in the future...

Time is your enemy, the future is always there to taunt you with new forms of tiny ship crack. 

TURN BACK! RUN! IT'S NOT TOO LATE FOR YOU!

I started with the red core, and bought the Millenium Falcon ("if i get tired of the game, at least it's a nice mini of a well known ship") and a TIE Bomber (no Interceptors at sale at that moment)

Then i decided to collect every single ship, except the fugly scummy ones.

Then i decided to collect every single Imperial ships, no matter how useful or ugly, because that's the right thing to do (some of them in pairs, of course)

As many said, if you are playing with friends, there is no meta, so fly what you want, and buy what you want (i own 4 interceptors) but keep in mind that imperial ships are generally squishy and tend to frustrate a new player (or a bad player like me) Defenders and TIE/sf allow more mistakes, and are still competitive.

8 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

Everything. Buy everything.

I started where you're at now "I'll just get the core and a couple ships for good measure".

You do that... but then you'll be all "okay, maybe a few more for a more varied team... and of course I need to have both sides even! I'll just get a few that look cool... but not scum. This will stay Rebel and Imperial!"

And you do that. Then you buy a play mat... and the one next to it. You know, just in case you feel like you might try an Epic game!

So, now you buy a couple Epic ships... but not scum.

Now you have both factions loaded up... but you want more... so, scum. You load up on scum! Now, the itch is satisfied...

Or so you think! On the horizon, there's always more in the future...

Time is your enemy, the future is always there to taunt you with new forms of tiny ship crack. 

TURN BACK! RUN! IT'S NOT TOO LATE FOR YOU!

It's like you are reading my mind.