Sign in to follow this  
Kakita Shijin

Android Setting?

I've never played Netrunner but the more I learn about the Android setting, the more I love it. That will be my first dive into Genesys.

I ordered the Worlds of Android book; it should be arriving soon ?

Does anyone have anything in the works for an Android adventure they want to share? 

Also, if there are any great lore videos for Android on the net I'd appreciate a link. I've seen the ones from Chop's channel.

Also, here's something you can disagree with so I'll get some replies:

What if we eliminate failure altogether? If a player fails a check they still accomplish whatever it was, but something bad also happens ?

2 minutes ago, Kakita Shijin said:

What if we eliminate failure altogether? If a player fails a check they still accomplish whatever it was, but something bad also happens

This is actually a very good thing to do when failing a check puts a halt to the story. The example that springs to mind is the players trying to get through a locked door that has an important macguffin on the other side. If they fail and you just say, "oh, you couldn't open it." They're going to sit around puzzling over what else to do, then either try the exact same thing again or attempt to kick the door in with some other method. Pretty boring. But if failure means the door opens and as the PCs are just starting to bask in the glory of their skills, an alarm starts blaring... Now you've moved the story forward, the players still feel the sting of failure, and the story just got more dramatic. (The only difficulty is making sure it doesn't feel exactly the same as failing with threat)

But there's some places you absolutely should not do this, such as combat.

Sorry I don't really know android either, so that's all I felt qualified to comment on.

1 hour ago, Doctor Xerox said:

(The only difficulty is making sure it doesn't feel exactly the same as failing with threat)

Assuming you meant "succeeding with threat," the important thing is to fold it into the stakes of the roll before you call for it. For example, if you know it would be uninteresting for the PCs to simply fail at opening the door, don't call for a roll to unlock the door; instead, call for a roll to unlock the door before the next patrol arrives. If they fail, they're still going to unlock the door, but the guards will catch them red-handed. If they succeed, you cannot spend threat to make the guards show up faster, since that was already covered by the success.

I’ve seen quite a lot of people that seem excited about using the android setting. What’s the appeal? My only real exposure to the setting has been through FFG reskin of the netrunner card game and it seems like just a generic, by the numbers, cyberpunk setting there.

What am I missing?

I think when FFG released World of Android it got people's hopes up for a RPG.  That book is pretty exhaustive in laying out its setting, so it's a very complete world already built.  Just my guess.

1 minute ago, Forgottenlore said:

I’ve seen quite a lot of people that seem excited about using the android setting. What’s the appeal? My only real exposure to the setting has been through FFG reskin of the netrunner card game and it seems like just a generic, by the numbers, cyberpunk setting there.

What am I missing?

I think it is the fact that the board game felt like it would be best as a role playing game.

4 minutes ago, Forgottenlore said:

What am I missing?

It is a reasonably well developed world that doesn't carry the 1980's baggage of the Shadowrun universe.   For me, the fact that it is a pretty standard cyberpunk setting is part of the appeal.  I get a pre-created setting that is easy to put my own spin on.

1 hour ago, TheSapient said:

It is a reasonably well developed world that doesn't carry the 1980's baggage of the Shadowrun universe.   For me, the fact that it is a pretty standard cyberpunk setting is part of the appeal.  I get a pre-created setting that is easy to put my own spin on.

It captures the neon and polish and solid color that later worlds like Ghost In The Shell would popularize while at the same time invoking the classics such as Blade Runner. It prefers to focus less on the "grunge" that 80's cyberpunk wanted to dwell in, and cover a more complete world where things are cleaner while remaining just as dirty in the right places.

Hence the later offshoot genre, cybernoir. Not just a "us vs. the system" narrative but one where there are all sorts of players, some decidedly evil but others merely shades of selfish.

Edited by Big Head Zach

I think the obligation system from Edge of the Empire could be a good fit for a cyberpunk setting.  I'd probably call it reputation, and have it apply to, and about, specific organizations.  Corporation X would know about a character with Corporation X, but that reputation might also serve a character well in other circles.

Edited by TheSapient

3 minutes ago, TheSapient said:

I think the obligation system from Edge of the Empire could be a good fit for a cyberpunk setting.  I'd probably call it reputation, and have it apply to, and about, specific organizations.  Corporation X would know about a character with Corporation X, but that reputation might also serve a character well in other circles.

I currently use Obligation and Reputation in my games. In my game obligation is something the players want to lose while Reputation is something the players want to gain. Over time Duty morphed into Reputation. So whenever my players do something for a faction, town, group etc. they gain Reputation with that group. When they reach 100 with a group then that group would reward them in some way.

I just read the rules for magic, and they are indeed as good as everyone says. What's the best way to incorporate "magic" into Android? Maybe psionics?

I'd like to make it possible for a character to do things similar to what Eleven does in Stranger Things ? I don't know if the setting supports it, if not what variant of magic would it support?

Of the three magic skills (Arcane, Divine, Primal) would one work well renamed as Psionics? Or should I put it together myself?

54 minutes ago, Kakita Shijin said:

I just read the rules for magic, and they are indeed as good as everyone says. What's the best way to incorporate "magic" into Android? Maybe psionics?

I'd like to make it possible for a character to do things similar to what Eleven does in Stranger Things ? I don't know if the setting supports it, if not what variant of magic would it support?

Of the three magic skills (Arcane, Divine, Primal) would one work well renamed as Psionics? Or should I put it together myself?

We are on the same page.  Definitely use magic for psionics.  I don't know the setting very well, but it seems to me that psionics are mostly just hinted at.  My take was going to be a very limited selection of home-brew spells.  I think Attack would still be ok, but there needs to be some sort of procognition as well.  Precog base level might be something like "ask the GM one question about the immediate location".  Upgrades could increase range, look back in time, get greater detail, as a followup question, etc.

I think it should be a secondary ability for a character, not their main thing, so options should be limited.

EDIT:  Maybe it should be Primal, as I imagine it would be based more on instinct than on intellect.

Edited by TheSapient

My skill list for Android.   

Athletics (Br)
Computers (Int)
Cool (Pr)
Coordination (Ag)
Discipline (Will)
Driving (ag)
Mechanics (Int)
Medicine (Int)
Operating (Int)
Perception (Cun)