Pollux85

Adapting the app to include an IP

Now that the app is out, one thing I'd like to do with it is see if I can adapt the missions into a "normal" IA campaign. I've played through 3 or 4 of the missions, and I'm not sure of the best way to do this, or if it is even possible. The obvious way is just playing the missions over and over again and taking detailed notes of what triggers certain conditions in each mission. My concern is that I'm wasting my time b/c it may be that the missions simply become unbalanced when you add in a live IP, or give the Rebels abilities like having resting recover damage, or there's an overwhelming level of detail with the bonus abilities. 

Any thoughts on how balanced the missions would be if played as a normal game of IA? Are there any suggestions for how to organize this info from multiple playthroughs? Better yet, does anyone have any tools that might "unpack" the guts and code of the app in a way that shows how each mission works and make it easier to adapt?

I'm not that much familiar with Valkyrie but it helps create user content for both D2 and MoM apps and I heard that it will work with IA. Then you can recreate IA campaigns for LotA, but there might be some holes or traps hard to avoid translating them.

It would be cool if the app included some basic tracking for the existing campaigns, at least.  I know that there are apps already out there for that (at least, on Android) but it seems like it wouldn't have been difficult to allow for it here, too.

I think you guys misunderstand what I'm looking for. What you are describing are things that would adapt the campaigns to work on the app. I want something (or like, or format) that would let me play the app missions as a campaign, but without the app. So it would be me as the IP and 4 other Rebel players doing LotA missions. 

Ah, I see.  More missions would be pretty cool, especially missions as interesting as these.

I'd be down for that, though balancing might be a nightmare.

Also, I'd love for the "Encounters" thing to be adapted into future boxed campaigns- upps the roleplaying element quite a bit.

30 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

Ah, I see.  More missions would be pretty cool, especially missions as interesting as these.

I'd be down for that, though balancing might be a nightmare.

Also, I'd love for the "Encounters" thing to be adapted into future boxed campaigns- upps the roleplaying element quite a bit.

Amen to that. Honestly, what I really wanted more than the app was for FFG to publish the app missions in a campaign book. They could have saved a lot of time and money on software development, and I would have paid them for it. 

Balancing might be less of a nightmare than you think. It's just a matter of gathering the data, whether that's through trial and error, or somehow cracking the programming code behind what makes the app tick. 

For instance, you can see the threat level of each mission if you click on the 3rd icon in the bottom right. I just loaded and restarted the first mission on the app 10 times in a row. 5 times I destroyed all the probe droids by the end of Round 1. 5 times I did not. Each time, apparently regardless of how many PD's I defeated, the app deploys between 13 - 16 threat worth of troops at the top of Round 2. Usually 14 or 15. And never any mercs. That tells you a lot about the first situation and how to adapt it to playing with an IP. 

Now granted, that's only the first 2 rounds of the first 2 missions, but it does show the app clearly takes threat level and threat cost into account when deploying troops. This can be done. 

The biggest problem for me is that when you do this, it looks like the first mission turns into little more than Under Siege on a new map. 

> Better yet, does anyone have any tools that might "unpack" the guts and code of the app in a way that shows how each mission works and make it easier to adapt?

As part of supporting IA on Valkyrie I will be dumping out the game database.  Just exporting the text files will show all of the text for each mission, which is usually enough.

You could just let a human control the enemies that spawn instead of following instructions from the app. Imperial Class and Agenda cards would replace the Imperial bonuses. Have the human Imperial player controlling the app device like a GM screen, reading relevant instructions and flavor text and placing the tiles for the mission. Imperial player earns 1 influence after each mission, 2 influence if they win, just like a mini campaign and earn Imperial class cards in tiers just like the Rebels do. 

You would still be stuck using core box bad guys for the most part BUT, there is actually a threat level for each mission listed in the Log screen, so you could use that to deploy your own open groups on top of whatever the app deploys. 

IMO way easier to just do this then to try and reverse engineer the campaign into a traditional format.

21 hours ago, BruceLGL said:

> Better yet, does anyone have any tools that might "unpack" the guts and code of the app in a way that shows how each mission works and make it easier to adapt?

As part of supporting IA on Valkyrie I will be dumping out the game database.  Just exporting the text files will show all of the text for each mission, which is usually enough.

Please keep me updated on that. I'd be very interested especially in the new costs for the item upgrades.

13 hours ago, Tvboy said:

You could just let a human control the enemies that spawn instead of following instructions from the app. Imperial Class and Agenda cards would replace the Imperial bonuses. Have the human Imperial player controlling the app device like a GM screen, reading relevant instructions and flavor text and placing the tiles for the mission. Imperial player earns 1 influence after each mission, 2 influence if they win, just like a mini campaign and earn Imperial class cards in tiers just like the Rebels do. 

You would still be stuck using core box bad guys for the most part BUT, there is actually a threat level for each mission listed in the Log screen, so you could use that to deploy your own open groups on top of whatever the app deploys. 

IMO way easier to just do this then to try and reverse engineer the campaign into a traditional format.

True, but there are other things to consider, like resting/healing and medpacks. I haven't had a crew to use the app with yet. Can anyone speak to how much it would change the app missions if you took out the medpacks and inserted the original rules for resting? 

16 minutes ago, Pollux85 said:

True, but there are other things to consider, like resting/healing and medpacks. I haven't had a crew to use the app with yet. Can anyone speak to how much it would change the app missions if you took out the medpacks and inserted the original rules for resting? 

I’ve found that the medpacks are pretty much needed for app play from my limited experience. The amount of Imps that tend to be deployed will likely easily overwhelm a Rebel party if they can not recover full strain *and* 5 health when needed. 

Plus there is a mission that looks to require a medpack for “reasons” (trying to be as un-spoilery as possible). 

I would probably ditch the medkit system. It's a handicap for the Imperial side which in he app spreads its damage around the heroes. A human player will concentrating fire, and the heroes are going to need to have access to recursive healing to be able to deal with that.

23 hours ago, jacenat said:

Please keep me updated on that. I'd be very interested especially in the new costs for the item upgrades.

Still going on data, but here is all the text for those who want to deconstruct it (MASSIVE spoilers):

text.zip

On 06/12/2017 at 9:02 PM, jacenat said:

Data is here.  Cross reference with Localization_en (attached above) for item names.

IA.zip