Sign in to follow this  
TwiceBorn

Crossing of Poros on the boat

Exactly a year to the day it was spoiled. Did they ever give us an official reasoning behind its delay? I knew Quickbeam was missing his unique symbol but I don't know if FFG ever came out and confirmed that was the reason or not.

Edited by stimpaksam

51 minutes ago, stimpaksam said:

Exactly a year to the day it was spoiled. Did they ever give us an official reasoning behind its delay? I knew Quickbeam was missing his unique symbol but I don't know if FFG ever came out and confirmed that was the reason or not.

We are all going to love it when he's still missing the unique symbol. :D

On 25/1/2018 at 6:52 PM, Bullroarer Took said:

He will be missing the unique symbol and we will never hear an official explanation.

And in the end, you were right.

42 minutes ago, Bullroarer Took said:

I have a dim recollection of someone finding a line in the rule book that basically said it doesn't matter if a hero has the unique symbol or not.  Did I dream it?

Someone (NathanH?) had a nice post pointing out that the imprecision of the Core set rules regarding uniqueness allowed for all kinds of shenanigans… In particular:

If any player has a unique card in play, no player can play or put into play another card with the same title. Any attempt to do so will fail to the extent that the card attempting to enter play remains in its current location (hand, deck, discard pile) and does not enter play. This rule applies to all unique hero, ally, attachment, and event cards that might enter play. 

Since starting heroes do not "enter play"—the relevant line in the rules is that they are "placed in front" of you—the above paragraph doesn't apply to heroes. Technically. Everybody gets an Aragorn! Or 3!

I would give anyone in my group trying to take advantage of this a wedgie.

Edited by sappidus

Since Quickbeam is (uniquely) not a unique hero, I don't think that text applies to him.  The game has a way to indicate uniqueness, Quickbeam doesn't have it, and given that the potential problem has been known for *months* it's obviously not important to FFG that it be fixed.

Of course, between the expense involved in buying three packs and the inevitable FAQ correction I don't actually expect anyone to run triple Quickbeam.  I wouldn't be a fan at all of delaying Crossings of Poros six months -- I want my Magic Ring!  But given that they *did* delay Crossings of Poros for six months, if anyone attempts to exploit the lack of a symbol, good for them.