MasterShake2

TopGun: Idea + Boredom = Game!

Disclaimer:  I own none of these assets.  The cards were all created with Strange Eons and the graphics were all from Google searches.

Welcome to version 1.1 ladies and gentlemen.  Expanded the roster of ships and upgrades, refined some language and points and added missions! 

For those new to the party, this a variant that uses most of the core X-Wing rules with different ship and upgrade cards for modern combat.

-All Missile and Bomb upgrades receive an ordinance token at setup.  When you are instructed to discard one of these upgrades you can instead discard an ordinance token on that card.  Missiles can only be used to attack ships.  Bombs can only be used to attack ground targets.

-Remove the section saying you can't set red maneuvers while stressed and instead add this:  After preforming a red maneuver and checking pilot stress, if you have more than 1 stress token, the ship receives a Stall token.  A ship with a Stall token is considered Stalled and cannot perform actions.  A ship with a stall token does not set a dial.  Instead, when it is that ships turn to activate during the Activation phase, it performs a white straight 1 maneuver that cannot be modified.  After the ship performs this maneuver it rolls an attack die.  On a hit or crit result, the stall token is removed.

-Anything classified as a Ground Target has the following rules.  They are not ships and therefore do not set dials, perform maneuvers or activate in the activation phase and do not count for any ability that mentions ships.  Instead of being dealt damage cards, they are assigned a damage token for every hit and crit result and if it ever has a number of damage tokens equal to its hull value, it is destroyed.  they cannot perform actions unless otherwise stated and cannot have any tokens on them other than target locks.  They have no firing arcs and can always attack targets outside of their firing arcs.  They will only attack as specified in their rules and at no other times.  They never roll defense dice and their attack dice can never be modified.  A Ground Target cannot be attacked at Range 3 or greater unless the attacker has a target lock on the ground target.  If a ship collides with a ground target, it is treated the same as colliding with a ship, but it does not skip its perform action step.  A ship cannot attack a ground target its base is touching, but ground targets can attack ships their base is touching.  A ship cannot boost or barrel roll in such a way that their base would overlap a ground target.

-Replace normal obstacles for X-Wing with the following 2 types.:

-->Clouds:  If a ship's final position or maneuver template overlaps a cloud, they receive a stress token.  A ship cannot attack another ship obstructed by a cloud unless it has a target lock on the defender.  If s ship's final position would cause it to overlap BOTH a ship and a cloud, after determining the ship's final position, roll an attack die and apply all hit and crit results to both ships.

-->Mountain Top:  If a ship's final position or maneuver template overlaps a mountain top, it rolls 2 attack dice after executing the maneuver and suffers all hit and crit results.  If a ship's final position or maneuver template overlaps a mountain top, it skips the perform action step.  A ship that is overlapping a mountain top cannot perform attacks.

Missions:

After determining who has initiative, but before setting up obstacles, roll an attack die to determine which mission is being played.

Hit Result:  Combat Air Patrol

Each player receives 2 Heavy Flak Position ground targets (small bases). 

Heavy Flak Position:  Attack 3, Hull 10, Agility -, Shields -.  At the end of the combat phase, a Heavy Flak Position attacks the closest enemy ship within Range 1-3 (starting with those controlled by the player who has initiative)

After setting up obstacles, but before setting up ships, the players alternate setting up their Heavy Flak Positions.  Heavy Flak Positions cannot be set up within Range 1 of a table edge or Range 1-2 of another Heavy Flak Position (friendly or enemy).  Destroying a Heavy Flak Position is worth 30 squad points.

Blank Result:  Close Air Support

Each Player receives 3 Ground Troop ground targets (small bases).

Ground Troop:  Attack 2, Hull 5, Agility-, Shields-.  At the start of the planning phase, before players set dials.  Each Ground Troop can perform a Boost or Barrel Roll (and can boost using their rear guides instead of front if desired), starting with those belonging to the player who has initiative.  This boost or barrel roll follows normal restrictions for these actions (cannot overlap ships or obstacles) and cannot overlap other ground units.  This boost or barrel roll cannot take the ground target within Range 1 of a table edge.  At the end of the Combat phase, Ground Troops will attack the closest enemy target at range 1 (including ground targets), starting with those controlled by the player with initiative.  Ground Troops cannot have target lock tokens (red or blue), but ships may treat any bomb secondary weapon as having the Attack: Focus header instead of the Attack: Target Lock header when attacking Ground Troops.

After setting up obstacles, but before setting up ships, the players alternate setting up their Ground Troops.  Ground Troops cannot be set up within Range 1 of a table edge or Range 1 of a friendly Ground Troop (but can be set up within range 1 of enemy Ground Troops).  Destroying a Ground Troop is worth 20 squad points.

Eye Result:  Reconnaissance

Before setting up obstacles, each player assigns a Recon Rig modification card to 1 of their ships.

Recon-Rig-Front-Face

After setting up obstacles, place 1 Intel counter on each obstacle.  If a ship with the Recon Rig modification is destroyed, leave its base in its current position.  Place all Intel tokens that were on its Recon Rig card on the base.  For the remainder of the game the base is treated as an obstacle with no effects other than to obstruct attacks.  At the end of the game, each Intel token on a Recon Rig card adds 15 to the squad's points scored.

Crit Result:  Scramble!

The player with initiative chooses a player to be the defender.  The other player is the attacker.  The defender receives 2 SAM Sites and one Command Bunker (all small bases).

Command Bunker:  Attack-, Hull-20, Agility-, Shields-

SAM Site:  Attack 3, Hull-5, Agility-, Shields-.  At the end of the combat phase, the defender can have each SAM Site attack a ship of his choice at Range 1-3

After setting up obstacles, the defender sets up his Command Bunker anywhere on the table that is not within Range 1 of a table edge.  SAM Sites can be set up anywhere on the table.  At the end of the mission, if the Command Bunker is Destroyed, the attacker receives 50 squad points.  If the Command Bunker is not destroyed, the defender receives 50 squad points.  For each SAM site destroyed, the attacker gains 5 Squad points and for each one not destroyed, the defender gains 5 squad points.

All missions will end automatically on turn 10, at which time squad points are calculated normally, but with any bonus points added from the mission.  If at any point all enemy ships are destroyed, the game ends immediately.  In this case, the player who has ships on the table will receive 100 squad points + any points from mission objectives while his opponent will get points for ships destroyed + points for mission objectives.

NATO

F-14's (T-70 dial)

Jolly-Roger-Squadron-Front-FaceJester-Front-FaceMaverick-Front-Face

F-18's (Z-95 dial)

U.S.-Navy-Rookie-Front-FaceChippy-Ho-Front-FaceBoxer-Front-Face

F-15's (Firespray dial)

Israeli-Veteran-Front-FaceSparkles-Front-FaceHurricane-Front-Face

A-10 (B-Wing Dial)

Hefty-Front-FaceGiggles-Front-Face

F-22 (TIE Silencer Dial)

Hooch-Front-FaceGhost-Front-Face

Warsaw Pact

MiG-25's (Tie Defender Dial with a red k turn)

Iraqi-Trainee-Front-FaceLeadfoot-Front-FaceSickle-Front-Face

MiG 27 (T-65 Dial)

Russian-Rookie-Front-FaceSlippery-Front-FaceKiller-Front-Face

MiG 29's (Tie Advanced dial)

Iranian-Veteran-Front-FaceHammer-Front-FaceWinter-Front-Face

Su-25 (G-1A dial)

Grizzly-Front-FaceVulture-Front-Face

Su-35 (Lancer dial)

Cobra-Front-FaceRabbit-Front-Face

Upgrades:

Missiles

Radar-Guided-Missile-Front-FaceHeat-Seeking-Missile-Front-FaceBomb-Loadout-Front-Face

AIM-9L-Sidewinder-Front-FaceAIM-9X-Sidewinder-Front-FaceAIM-7M-Sparrow-Front-FaceAIM-120C-AMRAAM-Front-Face

AA-8-Aphid-Front-FaceAA-11-Archer-Front-FaceAA-7-Apex-Front-FaceAA-12-Adder-Front-Face

Bombs

Unguided-Bomb-Front-FaceSmart-Bomb-Front-FaceRocket-Pods-Front-FaceBunker-Buster-Front-Face

Missile-Loadout-Front-Face

System and Tech

Fly-By-Wire-Front-FaceLong-Range-Radar-Front-FaceTarget-Priority-Radar-Front-FaceEarly-Warning-Radar-Front-FaceDoppler-Radar-Front-Face

Crew

Co-Pilot-Front-FaceGoose-Front-FaceGoose-Back-FaceRadar-Operator-Front-FaceElectronic-Warfare-Officer-Front-Face

EPTs

Stall-Recovery-Front-FaceWhere'd-who-go-Front-FaceWhere'd-he-go!-Front-FaceJester's-Dead!-Front-FaceGoing-Ballistic!-Front-FaceFriendly-Gesture-Front-Face

titles

Top-Gun--Front-FacePugachev's-Cobra-Front-FaceHigh-Speed-Interceptor-Front-FaceF-15E-Strike-Eagle-Front-FaceEA-18G-Growler-Front-Face

Mods

Swing-Wing-Front-FaceSwing-Wing-Back-FaceFlying-Tank-Front-FaceLow-Observable-Front-FaceFlares-Front-FaceChaff-Front-Face

Edited by MasterShake2

I think it's a great combo, though I think the missile mechanics need tweaking. Ideally missiles take a little time to reach target so they can be outmaneuvered and you can have different maneuverability classes of missiles, rather than just roll it all up in green dice.

6 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

You really gave the F-18 the Z-95's dial?

Good lord man.

Makes perfect sense, the Z95-dial is not bad.

5 hours ago, GLEXOR said:

I would give the F-18 the A-Wing dial TBH, maybe E-Wing.

F-16 should probably get the A-wing dial tbh. 

On 12/2/2017 at 9:24 AM, FlyingAnchors said:

F-18 gets the Z-95 dial?! 

Well, maybe the a/b/c model but the super hornets at least deserve the T-65 dial. Same for the growler as well really.

The Z-95 dial is the T-65 dial, just with faster greens and a slower k-turn. It would be a fantastic dial to have on any other ship. When you are looking into it a little further and you find that the F-18 Super Hornets still cannot do Mach 2+ and it makes sense why it won’t have an A-wing or E-wing dial.

So the F-18 is not as fast as it’s closest comparison, the F-16. It’s got a lot of maneuverability which can be represented by boost and barrel roll actions. It just needed a base dial that could reflect that it is good just not fast. 

Design thought process insight: 

Every design needs a baseline i.e. something to compare to and say at a basic level "is it better or worse?".  For this project I specifically used the F/A-18 for that baseline.  A good, well rounded, platform that can fill a multitude of different functions, but leaves you some room to move in terms of things that are better or worse.  The Z-95 dial is not actually bad, it just doesn't excel.  The only maneuvers it's missing is the hard 1 and straight 5 that are common maneuvers for a lot of dials to be missing and it's mostly white with greens at the 2's which felt like a pretty good cruising speed and the only red is its relatively fast K-turn (compared to the T-65 anyways).  Some of the dials for other ships were changed, though and, by all means, if you think a dial is more representative, then go nuts.

In terms of Primary Weapons and Agility.  Most of these aircraft would be pretty close in these areas or at least close enough that with the scale we're working with there wouldn't be a noteworthy difference (although I'm about to update with some airframes that do have a divergence in these areas).  The hull is probably going to get corrected along with some of the point costs as I want there to be some more variety in terms of durability and options.  It's also important to note, that some elements may simply be a game balance factor or simply to head off possible issues that I could see cropping up.

6 hours ago, InstantAequitas said:

Makes perfect sense, the Z95-dial is not bad.

F-16 should probably get the A-wing dial tbh. 

The Z-95 dial is the T-65 dial, just with faster greens and a slower k-turn. It would be a fantastic dial to have on any other ship. When you are looking into it a little further and you find that the F-18 Super Hornets still cannot do Mach 2+ and it makes sense why it won’t have an A-wing or E-wing dial.

So the F-18 is not as fast as it’s closest comparison, the F-16. It’s got a lot of maneuverability which can be represented by boost and barrel roll actions. It just needed a base dial that could reflect that it is good just not fast. 

oh... well now I feel foolish putting the cart before the horse...

Love the idea! You should give the f-14 the slam action with the t-65 dial. The tomcat was not THAT maneuverable but made up for it with the Phoenix missile and the ability to essentially have two air frames. 

I also think you should separate the f-18 hornet and the f-18 superhornet. They are actually two different aircraft despite the clever naming. Both having the t-70 dial BUT the super hornet with the ability to take 2 modifications. With the bigger airframe they are a bit more versatile and a lot more potent than their little brother.

Edited by Mackaywarrior

Alright, it's all done.  Added missions, rules for ground targets, extra ships, upgrades etc.  Each of the bombs is specifically designed to be effective against a specific ground target, but can still be used vs. others.  The NATO missiles were designed to be better at close range, while the Warsaw Pact missiles were designed to be better at long range.  Before you ask, it's not a mistake that there are no generic A-10, Su-25, F-22 or Su-35's and it's also not a mistake that the A-10s and Su-25's do not have EPTs.

Enjoy!

If you're that bored, make rhymes.

Roses are red.

I lived on Malachor.

I think Palpatine is the Sith Lord we've been searching for.

Or

Roses are red.

Poisonous gas is lethal.

From my poit of view the Jedi are evil.

Or 

Roses are red.

Violets are blue.

Flynn cooperated.

And so should you!

I like to save that last own for my nefarious prison on Oovo-4 for traitors to the Empire/GUNBOAT.

Me and group of friends played a "Top Gun" style game before and we ended up enjoying it more than casual X wing at one point, then the tournament season started and we stopped playing it. Here is the general jist:

Only use TIE Interceptors, A wings and M3-A Scyks
No unique pilots
Very Important: NO K-TURNS
You will need a ton of energy tokens from Epic
All damage received is dealt face up. Critical hits draw two cards and attacker chooses which one to deal. 

Each ship has two dials, both are set at the start of the activation phase and then you reveal one per turn as normal, proceed to action - shooting etc. Then the next turn you use the second dial, move - shoot, etc. Once both dials have been used. You reset both and begin a new. This makes flight prediction really difficult but when you stick on someone successfully for a turn or two, it feels great. 

12 Debris tokens for cloud cover. 

After you have moved, you gain a number of energy tokens equal to your movement speed minus any stress tokens you currently have assigned. These tokens can then be spent to perform actions. So the faster you go, the more actions you can do. 

You can only increase or decrease your speed by 1 each turn. For each further increase/decrease you do, you receive a stress token. For example, if you performed a three bank, your next stress free move will either be a four forward or one of the two speed options. If you dropped down to a one hard turn, you would receive a stress. 

When you declare the target of your attack, if it is range 1 and you are outside of their firing arc, the defender receives a stress token.

Target locks unassign if the target ends their activation outside of your firing arc. 

We only used two ships each which kept token placement down to a minimum

On 12/3/2017 at 0:43 AM, Merman said:

Check out the game Wings of Glory. They have WW1 and 2 aircraft and the mechanic is pretty similar to x wing. 

X-Wing is based off of it in fact. If you want to get technical it was called Wings of War back then, but that’s a long and boring story.

Nice work!

Now we need the miniatures!

I have WWII wings of glory, and i miss terribly not having minis. They gave too much atmosphere...

Let us know how the ground attack planes fare against pure fighters. To me, the Attack 4 value, even with limited dial, seems a big advantage.

Mig21s with TIE fighters dial?

7 hours ago, Malasombra said:

Nice work!

Now we need the miniatures!

I have WWII wings of glory, and i miss terribly not having minis. They gave too much atmosphere...

Let us know how the ground attack planes fare against pure fighters. To me, the Attack 4 value, even with limited dial, seems a big advantage.

Mig21s with TIE fighters dial?

I considered that and that's the big reason why they're so limited (no EPT, no generics, no radar slot and all pilot abilities only help against ground targets).  They can sort of brute force their way through a dogfight, but lack the action economy or bells and whistles of the dedicated fighters.  It's possible the ground attackers are still a little too good because this is mostly just me running a bunch of numbers, but it happens.

If you do actually want miniatures, shapeways has most of these in some for in about the right scale (1/300 1/285 and 6mm are all pretty close) and most of them are fairly cheap (around $10).

If the A-10 is easily arcdodged, that could be the balance. Also missiles.

But with 9 hull (7 for the frogfoot) they could take quite a beating, and you'll probably need 3-4 missiles to take it down (with flare and chaff)

Maybe, to show their resilience, a modification like "ground attack armor" that gives them extra resistance to flak and cannon fire.