Zalakoth

Lycanthropy and Vampirism in Genesys?

5 hours ago, Zalakoth said:

Just out of curiosity. How would you guys approach building Vampirism/Lycanthropy in Genesys WITHOUT it being a species. As a talent maybe? I will brew at home, in the meantime you all tell me your thoughts. 

An excellent question. Something like a template in D&D would be perfect, you could apply to any kind of creature. Maybe one of the book owners could enlighten us here.

1 minute ago, c__beck said:

S there a reason you don’t want to use the species/archetype for this? Specifically since the mongrel species (page 152) is called out as useable for werewolves (weird war sidebar, page 161).

Can be those archetypes be aplied afterwards? If a PC/NPC is bitten in course of an adventure, could you change a species /archetype just so?

24 minutes ago, DarthDude said:

Can be those archetypes be aplied afterwards? If a PC/NPC is bitten in course of an adventure, could you change a species /archetype just so?

That is a good question. There’s nothing in the book about changing archetypes, but I don’t see who you couldn’t. Adjust characteristics and, swap out special abilities.

2 hours ago, DarthDude said:

An excellent question. Something like a template in D&D would be perfect, you could apply to any kind of creature. Maybe one of the book owners could enlighten us here.

Because I want these to be like a true curse/boon. They would be contracted after the character is made, and would have both benefits and flaws. It would be a side thing and not so much a huge focus. Just for more of an open world feel

2 minutes ago, Zalakoth said:

Because I want these to be like a true curse/boon. They would be contracted after the character is made, and would have both benefits and flaws. It would be a side thing and not so much a huge focus. Just for more of an open world feel

I think that this aspect you mentioned is quite important. If it's lycanthropy or vampirism, it could also cover other effects of polymorph like the druidic polimorph into an animal or the morphing of Power Rangers and the like. An option to change the stat block and add powers/flaws would be very helpful. 

So in D&D. The player alters their strength (Brawn) and gains the ability to change their shape. However if they attempt to resist the call of the beast they change shape naturally. 

As far as Vampire goes, there has not been very many player templates. The best one was actually a playable class with unique rules. 

I was thinking more more along the lines of a special kind of talent that is given through story and not XP. The abilities would have to be both equally beneficial and detrimental so as to make the effective XP cost equal 0 for this to work. 

Just read the mongrel species. I believe that this is perfect for werewolf. Just need to give said character the special abilities it grants, and make it a disease of some sort. 

Now what about vampire?

From the Vampire lady in the example adventure:

“Abilities: Blood Call (When Eliza Farrow damages a target using her fangs or a magic attack, she heals wounds equal to the wounds inflicted).

Blood Mist (If Eliza Farrow suffers damage in excess of her Wound threshold, she is not incapacitated, but takes the form of a cloud of blood mist. While in this form, she can fly [see page 100 of the Genesys Core Rulebook] and does not suffer damage from physical attacks. If she suffers additional damage from a magical attack, she becomes incapacitated as normal and resumes corporeal form).

Dominate (May use the Dominate action once per encounter, making an opposed Charm vs. Discipline check targeting one character in short range; if successful, the target is immobilized for 1 round per uncanceled success, and Eliza may spend triumph to stagger the target for 1 round).

Sunlight Sensitivity (While exposed to sunlight, Eliza Farrow reduces all her characteristics by 2 and halves her Wound  reshold and Strain threshold.)

Undead (does not need to breathe, eat, or drink [except blood], and can survive underwater; immune to poisons and toxins)

Vampiric Magic (Eliza Farrow reduces the diffculty of all magic skill checks one step).”

For a Vampire species, I would probably remove Vampric Magic and Blood Mist, but I would keep Undead, Sunlight Sensitivity, Blood Call (but making it only for the fangs, not for magic), and maybe keep Dominate, maybe not.

Also, because most players would only have 2 in most of their Characteristics, instead of Eliza’s 4, it might be good to nerf the sunlight sensitivity to only reducing the Characteristics by 1 (Unless of course Vampires started out with a three in everything, which would be interesting, though that could easily become overpowered.)

Edited by Johan Marek Phoenix Knight

I'd make Talents and a stat block for a normal wolf and a werewolf  Have a Lycanthropy talent that allows transformation into a wolf where you use the stats for the normal wolf, or at least the physical characteristics.  Then Improved Lycanthropy where you turn into a werewolf, and use the higher of your's or the werewolve's characteristics.   Custom spells could probably handle anything else a lycan does.

The setting I'm working on uses a re-working of Obligation for all supernatural creatures, and so the chance of transforming from moonlight would only be present when there Obligation triggers.  Exposure to moonlight would call for a Discipline check to prevent from transforming, or to come down from a rage when already transformed. 

Vampires would also be from a Talent, and once that's taken then Talents replicating what Eliza from the adventure is capable of.   And the option to buy the spells she uses.

42 minutes ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

I am curious, since my copy of the book won’t come for a couple more weeks, can someone show me what the Mongrel is?

2s in all characteristics. WT: 10+B; ST: 8+W; 100XP starting; 1 rank in Discipline. Their special thing is the beast within.

When your ST is exceeded, as an out-of-turn incidental, they become a "wolf man". They heal all strain and +1 Brawn and Agility (to the normal max of 5), and reduce Int & Will by 1. +1 unarmed damage, crit 3. Once per session, they can make a Hard Discipline check (another out-of-turn incidental) to either force the change or avoid the change.

They stay in beast form for 8 hours or until incapacitated by exceeding either WT or ST.

7 minutes ago, c__beck said:

2s in all characteristics. WT: 10+B; ST: 8+W; 100XP starting; 1 rank in Discipline. Their special thing is the beast within.

When your ST is exceeded, as an out-of-turn incidental, they become a "wolf man". They heal all strain and +1 Brawn and Agility (to the normal max of 5), and reduce Int & Will by 1. +1 unarmed damage, crit 3. Once per session, they can make a Hard Discipline check (another out-of-turn incidental) to either force the change or avoid the change.

They stay in beast form for 8 hours or until incapacitated by exceeding either WT or ST.

So they have to exceed their strain threshold to transform naturally? Transformation by way of exhaustion?

5 minutes ago, GroggyGolem said:

So they have to exceed their strain threshold to transform naturally? Transformation by way of exhaustion?

If their ST is exceeded, it forces a transformation. But once per session, the player can make a Discipline check to transform without the strain.

28 minutes ago, GroggyGolem said:

Well, strain is about more than just exhaustion in Genesys. You also take strain damage in social encounters. In essence, exceeding your strain threshold means that you can't take any more, mentally speaking. Whether that means exhaustion or capitulating to someone's demands depends on the situation. It makes sense that once your sensible mind, your human mind, has given up, that the "other guy" would make an appearance. 

39 minutes ago, c__beck said:

This is super cool. I was thinking of something along the same lines, but it looks like FFG was way ahead of me on that one.

15 minutes ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

Well, strain is about more than just exhaustion in Genesys. You also take strain damage in social encounters. In essence, exceeding your strain threshold means that you can't take any more, mentally speaking. Whether that means exhaustion or capitulating to someone's demands depends on the situation. It makes sense that once your sensible mind, your human mind, has given up, that the "other guy" would make an appearance. 

Think I'll apply it also to if the character suffers wounds if I were to create a Hulk analogue.

1 hour ago, c__beck said:

For other -thropes we can always change around what stats are changed. A were-bear (or Hulk-type character) would probably have Brawn increase by 2 instead of having both Agility and Brawn increase, while something small, like a were-rat (or Ant-Man/the Atom) would increase Agility while decreasing Brawn, and would become Silhouette 0. (Though I’m not sure how to make Ant-Man’s whole “smaller you are, bigger the punch” thing work. Maybe a talent that lets him use Agility for Brawl.)

1 minute ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

(Though I’m not sure how to make Ant-Man’s whole “smaller you are, bigger the punch” thing work. Maybe a talent that lets him use Agility for Brawl.)

Increase brawl damage by +3? That would probably be easier than having to recalculate the brawl skill with the agility characteristic. His fighting skill didn't actually increase as he shrank in the film, he had to learn how to fight and apply that so that he wouldn't kill people with his punches. He'd also technically be smaller than silhouette 0 in comparison to the people he attacked, so it would be near impossible for him to miss a punch.

31 minutes ago, GroggyGolem said:

Increase brawl damage by +3? That would probably be easier than having to recalculate the brawl skill with the agility characteristic. His fighting skill didn't actually increase as he shrank in the film, he had to learn how to fight and apply that so that he wouldn't kill people with his punches. He'd also technically be smaller than silhouette 0 in comparison to the people he attacked, so it would be near impossible for him to miss a punch.

It wouldn’t require that much calculation. You just use Agility instead of Brawn. And the reason for that would be because you are decreasing the Brawn, so without switching over the Brawl from Brawn to Agility, you would actually be a worse fighter when you shrunk. Though I could also see something that increases their Brawl damage as well.

4 hours ago, Johan Marek Phoenix Knight said:

From the Vampire lady in the example adventure:

“Abilities: Blood Call (When Eliza Farrow damages a target using her fangs or a magic attack, she heals wounds equal to the wounds inflicted).

Blood Mist (If Eliza Farrow suffers damage in excess of her Wound threshold, she is not incapacitated, but takes the form of a cloud of blood mist. While in this form, she can fly [see page 100 of the Genesys Core Rulebook] and does not suffer damage from physical attacks. If she suffers additional damage from a magical attack, she becomes incapacitated as normal and resumes corporeal form).

Dominate (May use the Dominate action once per encounter, making an opposed Charm vs. Discipline check targeting one character in short range; if successful, the target is immobilized for 1 round per uncanceled success, and Eliza may spend triumph to stagger the target for 1 round).

Sunlight Sensitivity (While exposed to sunlight, Eliza Farrow reduces all her characteristics by 2 and halves her Wound  reshold and Strain threshold.)

Undead (does not need to breathe, eat, or drink [except blood], and can survive underwater; immune to poisons and toxins)

Vampiric Magic (Eliza Farrow reduces the diffculty of all magic skill checks one step).”

For a Vampire species, I would probably remove Vampric Magic and Blood Mist, but I would keep Undead, Sunlight Sensitivity, Blood Call (but making it only for the fangs, not for magic), and maybe keep Dominate, maybe not.

Also, because most players would only have 2 in most of their Characteristics, instead of Eliza’s 4, it might be good to nerf the sunlight sensitivity to only reducing the Characteristics by 1 (Unless of course Vampires started out with a three in everything, which would be interesting, though that could easily become overpowered.)

Where can I get this adventure?

On 12/2/2017 at 6:46 AM, c__beck said:

That is a good question. There’s nothing in the book about changing archetypes, but I don’t see who you couldn’t. Adjust characteristics and, swap out special abilities.

Page 33 & 36 both say once you choose a Species or Archetype the choice is permanent.