Sign in to follow this  
Pooleman

Ghost, Tail Gunner, and Twin Laser Turret

Question: If I have Tail gunner on the Ghost with the shuttle docked, and I fire at a target that falls within the rear arc with the Twin Laser Turret does the tail gunner effect kick in? I know that I am not firing my primary weapon but the wording of the card seems a bit ambiguous.

Tail Gunner: When attacking from your rear-facing auxiliary firing arc, reduce the defender's agility by 1 (to a minimum of "0").

The Ghost doesn't have a rear facing auxiliary arc, it has a rear facing special arc, Tail Gunner does nothing.

For a putative ship which DID have a turret slot and a rear facing aux arc, (or, for instance, for a Scum Firespray with a HOt Shot Blaster) Tail Gunner woudl work just fine on it.

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

There are currently only two ships in the game which can use Tail Gunner - the Firespray and the ARC-170.

Sheathipede is about to join that list, although there are better choices for its crew slot.  

Edited by jmswood

2 hours ago, Pooleman said:

So with the Shuttle docked and even if firing my primary weapon from the rear arc Tail gunner would not activate? I don't think I agree with this.

As @thespaceinvader has indicated Tail Gunner does not work. Just because it is a firing arc and it happens to be facing backwards doesn't make it work. The Tail Gunner crew card specifically requires you to be using a "rear-facing auxiliary firing arc" and, no matter what you're attacking with, the VCX-100's rear-facing firing arc is defined (by the rules insert that comes with it) as its "special firing arc." In terms of game definitions "auxiliary firing arc" is not the same as "special firing arc," "primary firing arc," or "mobile firing arc."

latest?cb=20160712030354

To elaborate on the importance of game definitions: if Tail Gunner said "When attacking from your rear-facing firing arc, reduce the defender's agility by 1 (to a minimum of '0')." the it would work with the VCX-100's special (torpedo) firing arc. The inclusion of the word "auxiliary" is critical and, ultimately, the limiting factor in this case.

Edited by ZealuxMyr

18 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Whether you agree with it or not is not relevant.

The Ghost doesn't have an auxiliary arc, Tail Gunner does not work on the Ghost.

There are currently only two ships in the game which can use Tail Gunner - the Firespray and the ARC-170.

How about the Auzituck gunship? It sounds like it would work too.

37 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Are the Auzituck's aux arcs rear facing?

No, they face to the sides.

I was confused so far. I thought that the gunship had a normal primary firing arc, and a 180 degrees rear auxiliary firing arc (the upgrade card is prone to misunderstanding).

Thanks for the clarification!

48 minutes ago, EwanH said:

I was confused so far. I thought that the gunship had a normal primary firing arc, and a 180 degrees rear auxiliary firing arc (the upgrade card is prone to misunderstanding).

Thanks for the clarification!

Find anywhere that refers to the 180 degree arcs as *rear*, and i'll give you an internet cookie cake

Moralo eval and bossk would be broken AF if that worked.

Edited by Ralgon