FTS Gecko

The insanity that is X-Wing in the UK

11 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

European Championships go on sale 28th January.

1-3rd June at the UK Games Expo, Birmingham.

http://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/bookevents.php?subcat=ffg

Uhm, 2 swiss pods? At least this time you aren't forced to be there at Friday (well, Thursday) which may be a pain for anyone outside UK, but I guess it will be easier to get tickets for the first pod... specially if there are only 200 places for each. I suppose they keep som space to increase the attendance if it's required.

I'm still undecided on what I'll do this year. Welp, I still have a couple weeks to think of it :P

9 hours ago, Arma Quattro said:

@Kharnete así que eres de españa? 

Acaso viniste tambien al ultimo SOS que tuvimos aqui en Lucca?

Sí, and nope :P

The only event outside Spain I've went has been last year's Euros. And to be honest I can't remember if we had an expedition to that Open. Some guys went to your National tho.  EDIT: My memory failed me: we had an expedition to your Open but it was in 2016, including Juan del Rio who made the top 4.

This year we'll be a bunch there. *At least* 20, most of us from Barcelona and nearby, but also some people from Valencia and Zaragoza.

Edited by Kharnete

9 minutes ago, Kharnete said:

Uhm, 2 swiss pods? At least this time you aren't forced to be there at Friday (well, Thursday) which may be a pain for anyone outside UK, but I guess it will be easier to get tickets for the first pod... specially if there are only 200 places for each. I suppose they keep som space to increase the attendance if it's required.

I'm still undecided on what I'll do this year. Welp, I still have a couple weeks to think of it :P

Yeah, that's a big bonus, but given what happened with the System Open I'm guessing tickets for Saturday's Swiss pod are going to sell out really quickly!

My gut tells me this won't sell out as quickly as the Open, what with the added cost of being at the Expo.

Personally I'll probably try to go for the Saturday as that's the busiest day on the show floor. But if there's some cool RPG running that day I might have to reconsider. At least all that stuff should be coming out on the 28th.

On 12/2/2017 at 12:16 AM, FTS Gecko said:

Our System Open sold out 400+ tickets in under 24 hours.  The North West regional at Element Games just sold out 120+ tickets in under 24 hours.

We can't get enough of toy spaceships, it seems.  Looking forward to this year's European Championships going on sale...

All the System Opens are in the Northern Hemisphere. Luckily that's where everyone in the world lives and there isn't a reason to host any of them south of the equator. FFG showing US knowledge of geography right there, the fact that it is even outside the US is amazing I suppose.

On 12/1/2017 at 3:17 PM, Hawkstrike said:

Aside: What accounts for what seems like the much higher popularity of miniatures wargames in the UK? It sure seems like a lot more games originate there, and their events appear to be much larger on a per-capita basis.

I know it’s been awhile but to the latter part of the question, population density is a thing.

15 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

More than half the tickets for euros have sold already.  120 for flight 1 on friday, 98 for flight 2 on saturday.  Out of 200 each.

Yeah, I was expecting the Saturday flight to sell out quickest, given that the Friday means probably a day off work, an extra night in a hotel and an 3 day pass to the convention for a lot of people.  Hopefully everyone's read the description!

Yeah I went for the Friday as I can then look around the Games Expo and the separate Convention that's happening that weekend on the Saturday. Plenty to fill the day with while waiting for Sunday.

And I've had a Fri/Sat hotel booked since last June as I missed the last Euros. Didn't want to miss out again.

2 minutes ago, InterceptorMad said:

Yeah I went for the Friday as I can then look around the Games Expo and the separate Convention that's happening that weekend on the Saturday. Plenty to fill the day with while waiting for Sunday.

And I've had a Fri/Sat hotel booked since last June as I missed the last Euros. Didn't want to miss out again.

That's fair enough, the Expo is definitely well worth a visit as well.  I've picked a Saturday ticket up this time around.  At this rate it's probably going to be sold out before it's announced on FFG's website!

38 minutes ago, AlexW said:

I know it’s been awhile but to the latter part of the question, population density is a thing.

Plus we really love our little plastic spaceships!  :D

On 1/28/2018 at 6:15 AM, Archangelspiv said:

All the System Opens are in the Northern Hemisphere. Luckily that's where everyone in the world lives and there isn't a reason to host any of them south of the equator. FFG showing US knowledge of geography right there, the fact that it is even outside the US is amazing I suppose.

You say that like it isn't almost true.

Image result for population by hemisphere

12 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

CK6aONG.jpg

if we're going to start using science...

Sure... now draw in the equator.  I teach geography for a living, and use that image in a lesson. Around 90% of the earth's population lives above the equator.  The 4 main population hubs are east asia, south asia, western europe, and eastern north america.  He can keep his snarky comments about the US, and go read a map.

13 hours ago, hawk32 said:

Sure... now draw in the equator.  I teach geography for a living, and use that image in a lesson. Around 90% of the earth's population lives above the equator.  The 4 main population hubs are east asia, south asia, western europe, and eastern north america.  He can keep his snarky comments about the US, and go read a map.

Of course, in terms of longitude the vast majority of the world's population is in the opposite half of the world to the US - eastern Vs western. It makes sense to have one or two system opens (east and west coast?) in the US, given the player base, but 5 is a little ridiculous, especially given the enormous size of European previous tournaments.

Australia's population is far and away along the eastern coastline, yet we don't have the player density to warrant a system open, which is cool. But Europe could host one a country and still have a good amount of players.

14 hours ago, hawk32 said:

Well going by your own vast experience of geography, all FFG Systems Opens should be in Asia to cater to the majority of the worlds population. My comments about US knowledge on geographical knowledge stands true. If it's outside the US, it doesn't exist.  

Given the latest world champ is from Asia, would have been nice for one Open to be located near there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3RrqBqk14

Edited by Archangelspiv

Warboar are doing the Swiss rounds for the London Regionals today.  Two flights over two days, with the cut and finals to follow next week.  No live stream unfortunately, but once again a crazy number of players.  Good luck to all those involved!

8 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Warboar are doing the Swiss rounds for the London Regionals today.  Two flights over two days, with the cut and finals to follow next week.  No live stream unfortunately, but once again a crazy number of players.  Good luck to all those involved!

How many people? :o

1 hour ago, Dreadai said:

250 was the number I heard. For a regional. 

It's more like 170 over 2 days. Cut is the combined top 32 after both days, to be held next week. Should be similar to the Chicago regional, maybe with a bit more on the second day.

On another note, 20 tickets left for the European Championships (378 sold after a week on sale).

Edited by apoapsis

On 2/3/2018 at 1:49 AM, Archangelspiv said:

Well going by your own vast experience of geography, all FFG Systems Opens should be in Asia to cater to the majority of the worlds population. My comments about US knowledge on geographical knowledge stands true. If it's outside the US, it doesn't exist.  

Given the latest world champ is from Asia, would have been nice for one Open to be located near there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJ3RrqBqk14

Which is why you complained about none being south of the equator, of course.  How much of Asia is below the equator?

On 2/3/2018 at 1:26 AM, Astech said:

Of course, in terms of longitude the vast majority of the world's population is in the opposite half of the world to the US - eastern Vs western. It makes sense to have one or two system opens (east and west coast?) in the US, given the player base, but 5 is a little ridiculous, especially given the enormous size of European previous tournaments.

Australia's population is far and away along the eastern coastline, yet we don't have the player density to warrant a system open, which is cool. But Europe could host one a country and still have a good amount of players.

I think Australia probably should have one.  As far as Europe getting more SO, compare regional sizes between the US and Europe.  The three regionals closest to me were 140, 150, and 160 (estimations).

7 hours ago, hawk32 said:

I think Australia probably should have one.  As far as Europe getting more SO, compare regional sizes between the US and Europe.  The three regionals closest to me were 140, 150, and 160 (estimations).

We could probably muster around 200 players, which I suppose is good enough. I'm pretty sure the Nationals had somewhere in the vicinity of 150. The trouble is that the country's so very decentralised that a majority of players would have some serious travel time - even by air - to get to an event undoubtedly hosted in Sydney.

The UK is smashing all the size barriers with their events. Heck, London could probably have 3 fair-sized regionals all to itself. I'm not 100% on the rest of Europe, but the player base combined probably equals the US.