FTS Gecko

The insanity that is X-Wing in the UK

2 hours ago, Skargoth said:

It's almost like you Brits and Scots enjoy your miniature war games.

Edit: Political correctness for my "Edinburruh" buddies.

Hmmm... last time I checked Scots are as British as the English, Welsh and N Irish so you’ve confused me greatly. :huh:

3 hours ago, Skargoth said:

It's almost like you Brits and Scots enjoy your miniature war games.

Edit: Political correctness for my "Edinburruh" buddies.

1 hour ago, Sasajak said:

Hmmm... last time I checked Scots are as British as the English, Welsh and N Irish so you’ve confused me greatly. :huh:

Correct.  British encompasses Scottish, Welsh, English, and Northern Irish (of the nations that make up the union, also a number of smaller non-national ethnic/cultural groups such as Cornish).  The problem arises when English is used to mean British.  Don't do that.

I caved and decided to buy for the Cardiff regional.

23 minutes ago, Hawkstrike said:

Aside: What accounts for what seems like the much higher popularity of miniatures wargames in the UK? It sure seems like a lot more games originate there, and their events appear to be much larger on a per-capita basis.

Things are WAY closer together here than in the US.  Most major events are within 3 to 4 hours drive of 90+ % of the population.  It's partly that things arent MORE popular it's just that a higher proportion of the audience is able to come to a higher proportion of the events.

Also, one of the biggest wargames companies in the world (GW) was founded here.

19 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Our System Open sold out 400+ tickets in under 24 hours.  The North West regional at Element Games just sold out 120+ tickets in under 24 hours.

We can't get enough of toy spaceships, it seems.  Looking forward to this year's European Championships going on sale...

And people keep whining that FFG has done the dash and X-Wing is on a downhill slide lol...

Good to hear it's going strong in the UK :)

Image result for star wars isn't over gif

Edited by Rat of Vengence

12 hours ago, Rat of Vengence said:

And people keep whining that FFG has done the dash and X-Wing is on a downhill slide lol...

Good to hear it's going strong in the UK :)

Not just the UK really, Europe as a whole.  German System Open is sold out as well.

But yeah, looking around the Regionals events at the moment, not many places left at all!

On ‎01‎-‎12‎-‎2017 at 2:47 PM, darthlurker said:

and last year's IT disaster that led to ~3 hours of delays due to not having an external copy of the results (and no estimates on how long it would take to fix)...

It was not "just" an IT issue. It was a combination of a lot of things.
We didnt have the computers to do input the day before and so everything had to be put in Friday.
Some players had entered their names as lowercase and got sorted to the bottom, when the first pairings went up these names where at the bottom of the table (instead of the alfhabetic place they normally would) so some of them came to us and said we are not in the tables. Took a while to solve and repairs where made.
Then the printers broke down and would not recognise the PCs, so no printing.
Then Cryodex broke down and wiped everything. Manual retype and check of names again.
Then the printers didnt work again.

And then to top it off between 2 of the rounds we had players go missing without turning in their result slip.
Player A was found and he told us: "Blayer B had it and turned it in." Player B was found and told us: "Player A had it and turned it in"
That alone caused a 25 minute delay

Believe me, no matter how aggravating it was for the players, it was about 10 times as bad for those of us trying to fix it.

Edited by Holmelund

2 hours ago, Holmelund said:

It was not "just" an IT issue. It was a combination of a lot of things.

Hence my calling it an "IT disaster" and not "just an IT issue".

Anyway, I was mainly referring to the afternoon delay, not the morning one, and as far as I can tell nothing you said is actually in disagreement with what I wrote. Note that I wasn't blaming the organizers for their occurrence of so many independent problems, as, as an occasional organizer, I know that problems are sometimes inevitable and some delays are understandable. The blame I place upon the organization is due to how the problems were dealt with, and the lack of information given to the players. It's mind-boggling that no external backup of the results was made. In my admittedly limited experience, making backups is rule #1 when using tournament software, and it would have solved everything minus the printers in the afternoon. As for the morning, well, I thought that the delay was to allow people to sign up on the same morning, as well as to give people time to get through the security check, which was fairly rigorous as the concert bombing in Manchester was less than two weeks earlier.

3 hours ago, Holmelund said:

Some players had entered their names as lowercase and got sorted to the bottom, when the first pairings went up these names where at the bottom of the table (instead of the alfhabetic place they normally would) so some of them came to us and said we are not in the tables. Took a while to solve and repairs where made.

The uppercase/lowercase issue is strange but suggests unfamiliarity with the software, and the players exactly didn't type their names into your computers. All-in-all is I'd say it was an important learning experience, but one the likes of which I have no desire in participating in again.

On 12/1/2017 at 3:44 PM, DampfGecko said:

Now this is how it should be! 

Won't be there, but wish everyone a great tournament!

Yes and at the same time no.

It's great that these events are being so popular, but there should be enough spots so that everyone who wants to go to these events can do so.

This mad scramble for tournament spots with 66% of the playerbase feeling left out and disappointed is only good for 33% of our player base*

*actual percentages may vary  but the point still stands that if these events are selling out so fast there is a large number of players who are missing out on the opportunity to attend these events and should not be missing out.

2 hours ago, darthlurker said:

Hence my calling it an "IT disaster" and not "just an IT issue".

Anyway, I was mainly referring to the afternoon delay, not the morning one, and as far as I can tell nothing you said is actually in disagreement with what I wrote. Note that I wasn't blaming the organizers for their occurrence of so many independent problems, as, as an occasional organizer, I know that problems are sometimes inevitable and some delays are understandable. The blame I place upon the organization is due to how the problems were dealt with, and the lack of information given to the players. It's mind-boggling that no external backup of the results was made. In my admittedly limited experience, making backups is rule #1 when using tournament software, and it would have solved everything minus the printers in the afternoon. As for the morning, well, I thought that the delay was to allow people to sign up on the same morning, as well as to give people time to get through the security check, which was fairly rigorous as the concert bombing in Manchester was less than two weeks earlier.

The uppercase/lowercase issue is strange but suggests unfamiliarity with the software, and the players exactly didn't type their names into your computers. All-in-all is I'd say it was an important learning experience, but one the likes of which I have no desire in participating in again.

Ill start from the back. Th elowercase issues happend because we imported the names from the tickets bought for the Expo. (People had typed that in themselfs)

There was a backup, but it wiped when Cryodex went down and we do not know why. After that happend we made backups on a USB instead of on the computer but by that time it was to late.

The lack of informations was for two reasons. First of all we thought it was a quick issue to solve, and each on their own was things that was fixable within 10-30 minutes. But when they pile up one after the other it draews out and then draws out some more. And that leads me to reason 2: At taht point we where ****** up stressed out of our minds. Having a ton of feckups pile on top of each other with hundreds of players waiting for us to solve them is not fun.

Im pretty sure a lot of the issues wont repeat them self this year (Now I doomed us ;) ) so things should run smoother this year :) 

1 hour ago, namdoolb said:

It's great that these events are being so popular, but there should be enough spots so that everyone who wants to go to these events can do so.

No offence meant, but have you ever arranged an tournament or event of this size?
Space available at the venue, staff available to judge/enter scores/handle stuff and time constraint of the event itself(The more players, the longer the wait between each round tends to be due to updates in the database and pairrings posted) all means that you have to put some sort of realistic cap on an event.

3 hours ago, InstantAequitas said:

Sorry, but the System open is already sold out? I just moved to Italy from the US and Bologna is 45 minutes away. Ugh, I didn’t even see a notice when the tickets went on sale.

There's still tickets available for the Italy System Open if you want one:

https://billetto.it/e/star-wars-x-wing-system-open-2018-italy-biglietti-243716

It's the UK and German Opens which are now on reserve list.

7 hours ago, Holmelund said:

Believe me, no matter how aggravating it was for the players, it was about 10 times as bad for those of us trying to fix it.

....also, would like to say everyone's efforts at the Euros were much appreciated @Holmelund.  Sometimes things don't go according to plan, all you can do is the best you can, and you guys and girls were all working overtime.

I'll certainly be going again this year, if I can get a ticket!

BTW, please tell me one of you guys said "I've got a bad feeling about this" at some point on the Friday!

7 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

....also, would like to say everyone's efforts at the Euros were much appreciated @Holmelund.  Sometimes things don't go according to plan, all you can do is the best you can, and you guys and girls were all working overtime.

I'll certainly be going again this year, if I can get a ticket!

BTW, please tell me one of you guys said "I've got a bad feeling about this" at some point on the Friday!

Thank you :)

I wish we did but in all honesty I dont think so :D

I'm still undecided on the Euros. If you asked me some months ago (welp, even just a couple weeks ago) I would completely agree with @darthlurker on not willing to repeat due how crappy that first day felt, even knowing that next time everything should be smoother.

But nowadays I'm surprising myself thinking that maybe I should go. I'll be on Bologna with many other Barcelona (and some Valencia-Zaragoza) guys due the lack of an Spanish Open (which btw has the record on the quickest sold out for Opens, 25 minutes for 360 tickets :ph34r:), but I don't think it will completely satisfy my "Big Tournament" needs. And Worlds is a nope due extra costs and the looooong travel it requires.

#FirstWorldProblems

Edited by Kharnete

The Element Games regional is sold out?

Bugger.

So....the Nationals is sold out, my regionals is sold out, and the one week this year I'm pre-committed to being away is when the Systems Open is on.

So much for "well at least this year I'm going to make an effort to get to events..."

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:17 PM, Hawkstrike said:

Aside: What accounts for what seems like the much higher popularity of miniatures wargames in the UK? It sure seems like a lot more games originate there, and their events appear to be much larger on a per-capita basis.

Might well be. I don't know how big the average wargames events are in the US or mainland Europe, but Warhammer World has been holding big events for years (I'm not sure what their maximum capacity is but I know they've had several hundred people at campaign weekends even 5-6 years ago). Warhammer world Nottingham is a special case, though, and rather more akin to FFG worlds.

X-wing has impressively overtaken it in scale over the last few years, though, given the numbers at the last nationals/systems opens.

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:24 PM, thespaceinvader said:

Correct.  British encompasses Scottish, Welsh, English, and Northern Irish (of the nations that make up the union, also a number of smaller non-national ethnic/cultural groups such as Cornish).  The problem arises when English is used to mean British.  Don't do that.

Indeed. In fact technically the UK is specifically England and Scotland - the two kingdoms which originally did the uniting when the United Kingdom came into existence were England and Scotland, and the king at the time was a Scottish king before he was an English one. (Wales was...not asked all that politely about it by comparison, hence the rather large number of imposing-looking stone castles around the country).

But yes, 'British' covers everyone, or subsidiary nationality. Also, despite a much-poked-at tendancy of the media to immediately claim any successful Scottish person as 'British' and equally immediately swap back to calling them 'Scottish' as soon as they cease being successful (sports personalities like Andy Murray are a prime example), don't do that either....

Edited by Magnus Grendel

1 hour ago, Magnus Grendel said:

The Element Games regional is sold out?

So....the Nationals is sold out, my regionals is sold out, and the one week this year I'm pre-committed to being away is when the Systems Open is on.

So much for "well at least this year I'm going to make an effort to get to events..."

I didn't even realise Nationals had gone on sale yet!

D'oh.  I will need to keep an eye out for the Euros now.