FTS Gecko

The insanity that is X-Wing in the UK

11 hours ago, Astech said:

We could probably muster around 200 players, which I suppose is good enough. I'm pretty sure the Nationals had somewhere in the vicinity of 150. The trouble is that the country's so very decentralised that a majority of players would have some serious travel time - even by air - to get to an event undoubtedly hosted in Sydney.

The UK is smashing all the size barriers with their events. Heck, London could probably have 3 fair-sized regionals all to itself. I'm not 100% on the rest of Europe, but the player base combined probably equals the US.

Which is why the US has 5 SO, and Europe has 6.

13 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

How many are in Asia?

Not sure.  How much of Asia is in the southern hemisphere?

6 hours ago, hawk32 said:

As a Geography teacher, it saddens me you don't even know this. But then again, US education system at work.

15 hours ago, hawk32 said:

AH, but Europe is a far more diverse continent, with numerous language barriers, travel complications and so on to contend with. having numerous decentralised system opens makes sense to appeal to the widest cultural/linguistic audience. Compare this to the US - a single country with rather decent travel infrastructure and a near-universal language. I could see an East, West and Interior system open, or perhaps even two interior, but having 5 of them is a bit strange from a "fairness" point of view, but I have no doubt FFG has monetary reasons for it.

A very small percent of asia is south of the equator. Geography teachers correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say a max of 10%, but probably closer to 5 considering the Russian land.

8 hours ago, Archangelspiv said:

As a Geography teacher, it saddens me you don't even know this. But then again, US education system at work.

Honestly, while the US is stereotyped for its poor geography, Australia is just as bad. Back in high school, I witnessed a 16 year old say that Africa was a popular country...

4 minutes ago, Villan said:

Can anyone recommend anywhere around Birmingham or near by that do tournaments?

Hi Villan!  Manaleak (Jubilee Centre, Pershore St, Birmingham) do regular tournaments and weekly events on Mondays, check their Facebook page for details:  https://en-gb.facebook.com/events/544539219229348/

The 186th squadron tournaments page might also help you find local events:  http://186th.org/tournaments

SOTC!

12 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Hi Villan!  Manaleak (Jubilee Centre, Pershore St, Birmingham) do regular tournaments and weekly events on Mondays, check their Facebook page for details:  https://en-gb.facebook.com/events/544539219229348/

The 186th squadron tournaments page might also help you find local events:  http://186th.org/tournaments

SOTC!

Thanks for the reply!

look forward to the game on Sunday! UTV!

1 hour ago, Astech said:

AH, but Europe is a far more diverse continent, with numerous language barriers, travel complications and so on to contend with. having numerous decentralised system opens makes sense to appeal to the widest cultural/linguistic audience. Compare this to the US - a single country with rather decent travel infrastructure and a near-universal language. I could see an East, West and Interior system open, or perhaps even two interior, but having 5 of them is a bit strange from a "fairness" point of view, but I have no doubt FFG has monetary reasons for it.

A very small percent of asia is south of the equator. Geography teachers correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say a max of 10%, but probably closer to 5 considering the Russian land.

Honestly, while the US is stereotyped for its poor geography, Australia is just as bad. Back in high school, I witnessed a 16 year old say that Africa was a popular country...

From my own personal experience, US citizens can tell you a lot about the US. But outside their own borders, they knew nothing. Their general knowledge as a whole was very poor. Which is why I posted in my OP that FFG knows very little outside the USA as far as System Opens are concerned. They cater well for US people, the rest of the world seems an after thought; which funnily enough seems to be the attitude from a lot of US people, from my own experience.

39 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

Which is why I posted in my OP that FFG knows very little outside the USA as far as System Opens are concerned.

...which is why they don't organise them outside of it. All the EU stuff is organised by Asmodee Europe I think. Considering they're a French company they seem to be able to handle it pretty well.

That might also point towards why X-Wing is so US & EU focused in general - they (Asmodee and FFG) may not have the the same kind of infrastructure and personnel in place elsewhere in the world.