FTS Gecko

The insanity that is X-Wing in the UK

78 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I didn't even realise Nationals had gone on sale yet!

D'oh.  I will need to keep an eye out for the Euros now.

It's not even gone on sale yet to the best of my knowledge, but it will sell out lightning quick when it does.

FTS Gecko and Jarval like this

2 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

It's not even gone on sale yet to the best of my knowledge, but it will sell out lightning quick when it does.

They had 600 places this year and didn't fill half of them, so I'm hoping it won't be quite the same scrum as the System Open tickets were!  That said, probably wise to buy them as soon as you can...

4 minutes ago, Jarval said:

They had 600 places this year and didn't fill half of them, so I'm hoping it won't be quite the same scrum as the System Open tickets were!  That said, probably wise to buy them as soon as you can...

I decided not to go last year and regretted it.  I've already booked my hotel for this year, but I left it refundable!

Jarval likes this

14 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

All I've heard so far is that it will be held in Birmingham this year.

(along with the System Open, and the Euros... Birmingham loves X-Wing players!)

5 minutes ago, Killerardvark said:

Re: IT issue last year

Yeah, @Holmelund addressed that above.  Like the Predator says, shstuff happens, and when it does, all you can do is the best you can.  The guys handling the tournament all did their best in difficult circumstances, and it certainly hasn't put me off attending any big, multi-day events in the future.  In fact, I'm looking forward t as many as I can realistically get to next year!

Gilarius and Holmelund like this

2 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yeah, @Holmelund addressed that above.  Like the Predator says, shstuff happens, and when it does, all you can do is the best you can.  The guys handling the tournament all did their best in difficult circumstances, and it certainly hasn't put me off attending any big, multi-day events in the future.  In fact, I'm looking forward t as many as I can realistically get to next year!

Right, you're still working with computers. Failures can happen. This event seemed like a crazy turn of events that caused a massive failure of the whole machine. I designed Cryodex to survive just about any failure, I can't imagine what happened that they couldn't retrieve stuff.

The event failures that really bother my are where actual mistakes were made that could have been easily prevented. For example, the Fresno regional had two players round 1 with natural byes. Or last year at Hoth where a match's MOV was entered as the score so he went from middle of the pack instantly to table 1. They claimed they couldn't fix it, so that top player had a really easy game.

5 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

The real issue I felt with Euros wasn't the delay, but the lack of explanation of the delay.

If we'd been told it would be several hours, we could have spent some time at the con.

But I guess that it wasn't clear at the outset how long it would be...

If we know it would have been hours we would have said":Go enjoy the expo be back in X Hours"

It would have made things better for you and us both.

But as said it was more than one thing happening on top of each other drawing it our. 

No reason to beat the hirse any more though. Its in the past and Im sure we will have a great European this year 😊

16 hours ago, Holmelund said:

If we know it would have been hours we would have said":Go enjoy the expo be back in X Hours"

It would have made things better for you and us both.

But as said it was more than one thing happening on top of each other drawing it our. 

No reason to beat the hirse any more though. Its in the past and Im sure we will have a great European this year 😊

This! Fixing a technical problem is rarely very predictable. You're like 90% done before you really know how long it'll take.

And sorry about getting uppity. Gotta defend my baby! You Europeans run impressive events and you're some of my software's biggest supporters. I would love to come to one of your events if it wasn't so expensive to get there.

LordBlades, hawk32 and Holmelund like this

21 hours ago, Storgar said:

where do they post when the tickets will go on sale for the Nationals?

Keep an eye on the X-Wing UK Events group, Esvedium Games and Alex Watkins' account on Facebook.  There's also 186th Squadron's really helpful and regularly updated tournaments page at http://186th.org/tournaments

Edited by FTS Gecko
Storgar and Jarval like this

There are at least 240 people on that reserve list, so only 120 of them will get places immediately. The rest will still have to hope for dropouts.

On 13/12/2017 at 5:19 PM, __underscore__ said:

Well someone's a glutton for punishment. Nonetheless, people who reserved should keep their eyes peeled on their inboxes.

Anyone had thier emails yet?

would like to know if I have missed out or should keep hoping!

3 minutes ago, Storgar said:

would like to know if I have missed out or should keep hoping!

Do you know what your position on the reserve list is? If it's lower than 120th, you haven't got a ticket - yet. Many people from the top of the list have had emails. Lower down will only get positive  emails if people higher up decline their offers, or original ticket-holders return theirs.

10 hours ago, Gilarius said:

Do you know what your position on the reserve list is? If it's lower than 120th, you haven't got a ticket - yet. Many people from the top of the list have had emails. Lower down will only get positive  emails if people higher up decline their offers, or original ticket-holders return theirs.

How do you find out your position on the reserve list?  I checked the confirmation email but can’t find it!

12 hours ago, Storgar said:

How do you find out your position on the reserve list?  I checked the confirmation email but can’t find it!

No idea. (*smug mode* I got a ticket already)

Sadly for this year I will have no chance to fly over to UK and participate to any tournament. :( looking forward to it for the next year.

Yet I am hoping that the Italian SOS will be an excellent chance to fly against opponents from every corner of Europe.

Who of you is going to show up in Bologna? 

FTS Gecko likes this

On 16/12/2017 at 10:12 PM, Storgar said:

I got an email yesterday afternoon, so they're still being sent out.

On 17/12/2017 at 10:19 PM, Arma Quattro said:

Who of you is going to show up in Bologna? 

Looking forward to it!  :)

I see France and Denmark were announced as the final locations for Europe.  According to the SOS article there are to be fifteen events in total worldwide (presumably including the Coruscant invitational), but only nine confirmed so far.. I wonder where the others will be held?

Arma Quattro likes this