FTS Gecko

The insanity that is X-Wing in the UK

Our System Open sold out 400+ tickets in under 24 hours.  The North West regional at Element Games just sold out 120+ tickets in under 24 hours.

We can't get enough of toy spaceships, it seems.  Looking forward to this year's European Championships going on sale...

Just got my tickets for cardiff regional at firestorm Games.  They were only listed as TBC with esdeviums announcement yesterday but tickets went on sale this morning for sat 13th of Jan.

I'll be skipping the European Championship this year. With the UKGE's prices, the subsequent increase in accommodation costs, and last year's IT disaster that led to ~3 hours of delays due to not having an external copy of the results (and no estimates on how long it would take to fix)... it's not worth it to me. I'll still attend an Open here and there, but I was pretty jaded after the experience last June.

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

Seriously.  I'm glad I made refundable hotel bookings for nats, I'm worried I might not be able to get a place.  I'll go to UKGE anyway though.

Are Nats and the European Championships both at the UKGE?

Idoubt I'm going to be able to get to a regional now, was hoping to get to the North West one, but Elemen had sold 2/3rds of their tickets two hours in, the rest went immediately this morning.

UK System Open reserve list goes up at 6:30pm tonight as well; first come, first served.

No, nats are in August.  Only Euros at UKGE.

The only Regional I'm even semi considering is Cardiff and that probably needs an overnight stay.

I've already go my Open tickets.

It's a shame the Battlefield Hobbies Daventry one isn't on again, that was really great last year.

Edited by thespaceinvader

I really wanted to go to Yavin but I couldn't afford to get myself a ticket immediately. My tenancy is being renewed and it's Christmas soon, along come all my quarterly bills and I'm skint until probably February. I was hoping there'd be a few tickets left over for after Crimbo but no joy. Hopefully I can nab a ticket to Exeter Regionals and a place to stay after getting the essential life stuff done and out the way but I'm not holding out much hope. It's great we have so many enthusiastic players, just a little frustrating for some of us to be able to afford play time at the drop of a hat. 

I really wanted to get an Admiral's ticket for the UK Open, but they sold out within 15 minutes. I did manage to snag a Captain's ticket though. I've already booked my flight (I'm coming from Malta) and accommodation...I'm going to be staying at the venue, the Hilton Metropole.

I am, though, a tad nervous. I'll be attending all by myself, so I hope I'll be able to make some new friends! :)

1 hour ago, Storgar said:

What capacity does Athena have?

75-ish.  It's a smaller event than Element Games for sure.

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

It's a shame the Battlefield Hobbies Daventry one isn't on again, that was really great last year.

I was sad not to see Battlefield Hobbies on the list as well - it's a bit of a jaunt to get to for me, but I was very impressed with how they did last year.

4 minutes ago, Glyph said:

I really wanted to get an Admiral's ticket for the UK Open, but they sold out within 15 minutes. I did manage to snag a Captain's ticket though. I've already booked my flight (I'm coming from Malta) and accommodation...I'm going to be staying at the venue, the Hilton Metropole.

I am, though, a tad nervous. I'll be attending all by myself, so I hope I'll be able to make some new friends! :)

Enjoy!  The Hilton's pretty much right next to the airport so you'll be fine, and there'll be a lot of players from across Europe there, all very friendly.  It's a great community.

3 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

Our System Open sold out 400+ tickets in under 24 hours.  The North West regional at Element Games just sold out 120+ tickets in under 24 hours.

We can't get enough of toy spaceships, it seems.  Looking forward to this year's European Championships going on sale...

So, reports of it's demise were slightly overrated??

4 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

I'm pretty sure that's the Gunboat Effect.

2 hours ago, Glyph said:

Lots of new friends will be there! Say hello and play some games! If you spot an exploding T65, it'll be mine!