Jump to content
Pooleman

Rebel Nym, Genius, Trajectory Projector, bomblet generator

Recommended Posts

You're going to be one kind of guy or another. Be the guy that follows the rules and expects everyone to follow them as well. There are ways not to come off as a jerk.

"Hey man, I was reading up on the barrel roll rules and it says right here **pulling out the rules reference** that if you lay your template to one side and it fits, then you have to play it since you've committed. And we can't measure if a ship is in arc until the Combat Phase."

"I want to be sure we're following the rules, so I'm not laughed at or kicked out of a tournament for playing wrong."

"Did you see the new FAQ? We've been doing a bunch of things wrong. Nym can only prevent one bomb from detonating and Genius makes you discard your bomb upgrade. And get this: if you use his ability to drop/launch after moving, it doesn't work if you overlap a ship, which includes if your Nym bumps another ship. That's considered 'overlapping a ship'." And of course print out the cards I posted earlier with the updated text.

Avoid saying things like "You" or it may come off aggressive and put him on the defensive. When you say "We" or "I" it kind of spreads the blame around and helps blunt the blow.

Also, include a third or fourth person in the conversation so they're both aware of the correct rulings and so he doesn't pull the same kind of behavior on them either. Chances are they feel he's played wrong too, but needed someone to say something first. There's safety in numbers after all, and there should be a consensus about how rules work.

Hopefully they're all agreeable and get back on track.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

I’ve been going to this store fir about a month and I’ve won every match. I’m afraid to confront people on rules because I don’t want to be “that guy”. I’m trying to fly casual. 

Flying casual just means be cool. It's an attitude where you don't sweat the small stuff: a ship model gets bumped? No problem. You want to proxy an upgrade? Yeah that's fine. You forgot to regen that sheild with R2-D2? I'll let you take it now. You want to check arc to see if your barrel roll/boost will get you out of being shot? NO man, that's the wrong phase--can't do that.

It doesn't mean rules get to be ignored, broken or abused outright. If it feels wrong, it probably is wrong.

Edited by Force Majeure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now an important thing to note before getting pitchforks, Genius' text from the most recent FAQ is far different from its original text.  Without that FAQ text Genius/Bomblet/Simulator works as described above.
So perhaps he was ignorant of the FAQ text change on Genius.

Barrel shenanigans is pretty scummy though.  Definitely have to preform it if you measure and fit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Force Majeure said:

Flying casual just means be cool. It's an attitude where you don't sweat the small stuff: a ship model gets bumped? No problem. You want to proxy an upgrade? Yeah that's fine. You forgot to regen that sheild with R2-D2? I'll let you take it now. You want to check arc to see if your barrel roll/boost will get you out of being shot? NO man, that's the wrong phase--can't do that.

It doesn't mean rules get to be ignored, broken or abused outright. If it feels wrong, it probably is wrong.

This is a good description of Fly Casual to me.  I even try to go so far as letting players take actions back or change a maneuver if 1. Its not a tournament game, 2. Its clearly a non optimal action/move (like accidentally flying onto a rock or off the table).  
But that's just me.  Everyone is open to their interpretation of fly casual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tsuruki said:

Genius drops bombs.

Trajektory analyzer Launches baombs.

 

There is a mechanical difference and they will never be used together.

Incorrect.

THe sequence goes thusly:

Move without bumping or crossing an obstacle.

Trigger Genius.

Discard a bomb card to drop its corresponding token.

Trajectory Simulator triggers, and instead of dropping the token, you launch it.

 

The bomb card is still discarded, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Yoda Man said:

What list were you flying @Pooleman?

 

edit: I'm just curious.

GHOST RIDER (100)

 

Hera Syndulla — VCX-100 40
Fire-Control System 2
Twin Laser Turret 6
Recon Specialist 3
Ship Total: 51
   
Dash Rendar — YT-2400 36
Push the Limit 3
"Mangler" Cannon 4
Nien Nunb 1
Outrider 5
Ship Total: 49
I think this was it. I made some last minute crew changes that I may have missed here. It was a bummer because Hera’s ability never came into play since all his pilots were high PS than her. But we still pulled out a victory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 12/1/2017 at 3:14 AM, Pooleman said:

He was measuring to see if a barrel roll would dodge my firing arc. If a barrel roll would dodge the arc he would do it. If it wouldn’t dodge the arc he would choose another action. 

tenor.gif

 

On 12/1/2017 at 11:31 AM, Pooleman said:

I don’t know how to answer. 

He's cheating the other players at your store as well. Send him our way at least if you don't want to be the one to argue the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PanchoX1 said:

Can someone state the location of the barrel roll rule in the written material?

Relevant rule is on p.6 of the FAQ 

  • Performing a Barrel Roll When performing a barrel roll, a player must first declare from which side of the ship’s base the action will be performed. Then, he measures to see if the ship is able to perform a barrel roll action to any legal area on the declared side, moving the template as necessary. If the ship can perform the barrel roll action on the declared side, it must do so (emphasis mine). If the ship cannot perform the barrel roll action, the player may declare a barrel roll in the other direction, or he may declare a different action.
Edited by kris40k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What happens with the Bank Barrel roll templates, can you put one down on the right side and say try to go forward which won't fit and then flip the template to go backward, or does he have to use it the same what it is placed on the board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, eagletsi111 said:

What happens with the Bank Barrel roll templates, can you put one down on the right side and say try to go forward which won't fit and then flip the template to go backward, or does he have to use it the same what it is placed on the board.

You declare a side and bank direction. If it cannot fit with the side and direction chosen, you can choose a different action or a different direction or side; yes, you can flip it backwards if forward didn't fit. From pg 13 of the FAQ on Lt Lorrir:

  • Lieutenant Lorrir When declaring a barrel roll action, the player controlling Lieutenant Lorrir must declare both the side and direction of the roll. If Lorrir can perform the barrel roll action, he must do so. If Lorrir cannot perform the barrel roll action, the player controlling Lorrir may declare a Barrel Roll action in any other direction, or he may declare a different action.
Edited by kris40k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kris40k said:

Relevant rule is on p.6 of the FAQ 

  • Performing a Barrel Roll When performing a barrel roll, a player must first declare from which side of the ship’s base the action will be performed. Then, he measures to see if the ship is able to perform a barrel roll action to any legal area on the declared side, moving the template as necessary. If the ship can perform the barrel roll action on the declared side, it must do so (emphasis mine). If the ship cannot perform the barrel roll action, the player may declare a barrel roll in the other direction, or he may declare a different action.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...